1. COMPANY NAME:
WRD (WaterCooled Racing Development)
2. CONTACT INFO:
3. HOW DID YOUR COMPANY GET ITS START?
We have been racing for many years, but in 1995 we purchased a new Golf to replace an aging 1985 Golf and started autocrossing with it. Soon we were modifying it and began selling parts to other people when we realized the local inconvenience of obtaining quality performance products.
4. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS?
Officially in 1997 but unofficially before that.
5. WHO IS YOUR TARGET CUSTOMER?
People who believe the best cars ever manufactured are VW’s without exception; people who believe performance is more important than looks; lastly people who drive their cars hard.
6. WHAT IS YOUR PRODUCT RANGE?
We tune suspension, motor, transmission, braking and safety equipment.
All of our products are featured at http://www.watercooledracingdevelopment.com Brad please take a look and use anything that may help.
All the products we are dealers for are at www.wrdusa.com
WRD Advantage Urethane Motor Mounts for Golf / Jetta III; Corrado VR6
WRD Advantage Urethane Transmission Mounts for Golf / GTI / Jetta IV
WRD Advantage Lower Front Spoiler for Golf and GTI IV 1999.5 and Up
WRD Advantage T6 Aluminum Lower Front Stress Bars for Golf / Jetta I, II, III, IV
WRD Advantage Front Sway Bar Adapters for Golf / GTI / Jetta IV
WRD Advantage Stage 3 Big Valve Head for 12 Valve VR6
7. WHAT SERVICES DO YOU PROVIDE?
We build custom VW’s
8. WHAT IS YOUR COMPANY PHILOSOPHY?
At WRD “WaterCooled Racing Development” there is no car other than a Volkswagen and nothing is more important than making a VW as fast as it can be while meeting our customers’ needs.
9. WHAT MAKES YOUR COMPANY DIFFERENT/SPECIAL?
Our devotion to making our customers happy and making the best VW parts available (lighter, stronger with better styling). We live to go faster in our VW’s.
10. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR YOUR COMPANY?
1. Currently we are working on a Cold air intake that will solve the wintertime problems of the current lines available.
2. We will be introducing our rear stress bar with quick release for full cargo use, in the first of the year.
3. We are trying to confirm a deal to run in the SCCA Speed Touring car Series on the West Coast.
4. We are making plans to make a trip back east for Waterfest and some other shows in 2005.
5. We are currently under development with Koni on a specially re-valved and sprung WRD Coil over Kit.
11. WHERE DO YOU THINK THE AFTERMARKET IS HEADED IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS?
I hope the loyal VW fanatics will continue to support the company and tune the VW’s in a tasteful manner. I fear we may have seen the writing on the walls when it comes to the enormous growth of the VW scene with the current insurgents of gull wing doors and other such over the top customization. Some of you may remember this kind of over customization spelled the end of the mini truck fad. I think the Japanese tuning market in the US will suffer with the addition of more US manufactures producing competitive American cars. In addition I pray the rice influence will not go any further into the VW scene.
12. WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGES?
To stay true to our performance belief when so many businesses make profits selling rice influenced flash.
13. WHAT ARE YOUR GREATEST SUCCESSES?
Marring my wife who has never owned any car other than a VW! Having three kids and preparing for them to race. Lastly, being in business doing what I love.
14. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT AUTO MANUFACTURERS OFFERING CUSTOMERS THEIR
OWN TUNING PRODUCTS?
Auto manufacturers: It is great; after they get ripped off at the dealership enough they will be very happy with us. Now if VW would only put up some money for racing.
Part manufacturers: It is fine if they stick to their retail price and don’t under cut the dealers.
15. WHAT PERSONAL CARS DO YOU AND YOUR STAFF DRIVE?
1999 GTI III naturally Aspirated VR6 with 246hp at the wheels
1990 Corrado G60 currently under construction
1987 Vanagon (first year watercooled)
1981 Rabbit s 1.6L balanced blueprinted side draft carbureted 6 speed crazy car
2000 Golf 4 Door 1.8T front mount, APR, big brakes, coil covers, Euro Recaros shaved moldings and embalms, extended hood and a lot more.
1984 GTI Crazy 2.0L, 02A 6 speed, Coil covers and so much more.
Image locations for you