- Gallery: HPerformance’s Volkswagen R32
- ECS Releases High Flow Intercooler Plumbing Options for FSI and TSI Engines
Your choice of studded or friction winter tires depends on your needs. Both alternatives are wear-resistant and have superb driving qualities. By knowing their special characteristics, you can choose the type of tire that best matches your needs.
Snowy or icy roads?
If you drive more on icy roads than on snowy ones in winter, studded tires are the choice for you. Studded tires are especially suitable if you live near the coast, where roads tend to be icy during the winter. Friction tires are a good choice for snowy roads.
Wet ice and packed snow
If you have friction tires, you need to be particularly careful at crossroads etc. where there may be wet ice or hard-packed snow. Studded tires are superior to friction tires on wet ice and hard-packed snow.
If you appreciate tires that are quiet on bare roads, friction tires are the right choice for you.
Unpredictable autumn conditions
Friction tires can be mounted earlier in the autumn than studded tires. Once you have mounted friction tires, you don’t need to worry about rapidly changing road conditions in autumn. Friction tires are also a good choice in spring, when temperature changes can be surprisingly rapid.
Friction tires all-year round?
Coarse spring roads can be particularly wearing on all tires and friction tires are primarily designed and intended for winter use. Friction tires that have been unevenly worn by coarse spring roads are no match for good summer tires. Therefore we do not recommend the use of friction winter tires as all-season tires. Summer tires are the safest and most economic choice for summer driving.
Winter Driving Features Found in Nokian Tires
• Sideways driving control is the major handling feature of all Nokian tires. Tread design, rubber compound, sipes, uniform wearing pattern and tire structure, all contribute to the Hakkapeliitta Winter Tires being the safest winter tires in the world.
• Nokian Tire’s commitment is to provide customers with: the maximum in performance safety; long and even wearing tread life; superior, consistent handling in all weather conditions; a quiet, comfortable ride; and to provide the safest tires in the world.
• Tire durability is the key to the quality, long lasting riding comfort and safety aspect of Nokian winter tires. Tires should retain all their good properties as they wear evenly through the life of the tire.
• Nokian Tires unidirectional, “Arrow-shaped” tread patterns effectively bite into the snow, expel slush and water, while efficiently cleaning the tread grooves.
You can find these tires at www.tiresbyweb.com. If you mention this web-site, we will give you $10 off per Nokian Tire with FREE SHIPPING now through 11/30/06.
Tires By Web