- Volkswagen Group Reports Solid H1 2014 Business Growth Despite Difficult Market Environment
- 2014 24 Hours of Nürburgring: VAG Team-by-Team Results
- New Record: Volkswagen Group Delivers Over Four Million Vehicles for First Time in Period to May
VERSION DATE: September 19, 2008
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
• The A4 product line is critical to Audi of America’s growth in the USA, and the S4 supports this by expanding the line’s sportiness.
• The new S4 is a sports car offering an impressive driving experience, leading technologies, and every-day suitability.
• Audi Drive Select (adjustable engine/throttle mapping, suspension damping, and dynamic steering) is a benchmark in the segment and industry.
• All-new version of the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 provides excellent acceleration and efficiency in all driving situations.
• New 7-speed S tronic dual clutch transmission for faster precise gear changes.
• New optional quattroSport rear differential enhances agility.
• S4 will be offered exclusively as a sedan in the USA.
• USA market launch is Fall 2009, as a 2010 model year vehicle.
• Key competitors are BMW M3 sedan and Mercedes-Benz AMG C63.
• S4-specific interior and exterior distinctive features include:
o New rear LED lighting
o Front/rear bumpers, including unique front grille
o Trunk lid with integrated spoiler
o Aluminum optic mirrors
o Special 18” wheels standard with high performance tires
o S4 brake calipers with logo
o Sport seats with unique interior color offerings
o Black interior headliner
o S4-badged steering wheel, aluminum door sill inlays, key fob, and gauge cluster
o Brushed aluminum interior trim with available carbon fiber, wood, and stainless steel options
• Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail.
• S4 Aluminum-optic exterior accents include front and rear diffuser blades, mirror housings, and four exhaust pipes.
• Modular Longitudinal Chassis architecture is the foundation for a benchmark sport sedan.
o Extensive use of new ultra-high-strength steels increase rigidity of the body while also reducing weight.
o Repositioned clutch / torque-converter allows more forward position of front axle.
Better agility and turn in
Better axle load distribution
Shorter front overhang
Longer wheelbase = more comfortable ride
o Repositioned steering rack, lower and closer to the wheel carriers lowers center of gravity and provides more direct steering control/feedback.
o Sporty proportions and muscular stance enhanced due to longer, wider, and lower dimensions.
o Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
Powertrain and Performance
• Standard power train will be the new 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 mated to quattro® all-wheel drive
• Transmission choices include a 6-speed manual gearbox and a new 7-speed S tronic dual clutch transmission.
• 3.0 TFSI V6 specifications:
o FSI direct injection with intercooled supercharger
o 333hp – 325 lb-ft
o 0-60 mph 5.1 sec (est.)
o Top speed 155 mph
• Latest generation of quattro® all-wheel drive is employed, with asymmetric rearbiased torque split (40% front / 60% rear under nominal conditions).
• New available quattroSport rear differential dynamically varies torque between the rear wheels.
• Fuel economy is significantly improved over previous generation S4.
• Braking system is upgraded specifically for the S4.
• MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
• Audi Drive Select – varies the engine, transmission, steering, and suspension damping characteristics to suit the driver’s preferences
• Self-opening trunk lid
• Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
• Advanced Key keyless entry and starting
• Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
• Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
• Audi Parking System rear with rearview camera
• Electromechanical parking brake
• DVD-based Navigation system with voice control
• Audi Side Assist lane change assistant
• Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system
• Standard 6-speed manual and optional S tronic 7-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel shift paddles
Interior is 20mm longer, rear knee room increased by 36mm, leg room, headroom and shoulder room also increased.
Launch Timing and Pricing
• USA S4 sedan goes on sale in Fall 2009 (as a 2010 model year vehicle), with pricing expected to be similar to the outgoing model. S4 Avant body style will not be offered in the USA.
• European S4 hits European roads in Spring 2009.
|For more discussion on this story, click on the link to our discussion forums to the left.|