Born in the Italian town of Lecco, on Lake Como, in 1951. His father, Emilio, was also a designer.
He started working in automotive styling when he was just over twenty. First in Fiat and then in independent style centres like Studio Rodolfo Bonetto and IDEA Institute. He worked here with such masters as Renzo Piano, Peter Rice and Rudolf Hruska.
After a short period with Trussardi, he was called in 1986 to direct the Alfa Romeo Style Centre.
In 1999, he took over the helm of the Centro de Diseño SEAT in Martorell.
In 2002, he was appointed Design Director for the entire Audi Group of Brands, and thus of Audi, SEAT and Lamborghini.
· 1978 Compasso d’Oro
· 1984 MITI Good Design Prize
· 1985 MITI Good Design Prize
· 1988 SMAU Prize
· 1998 Designer of the “Car of the Year”
· 1998 CARMEL La Bella Macchina Award
· 2000 Designer of the “Car of the Year”
· 2000 Automotive News Eurostars
· 2000 Automotive News International Best Exterior Design
· 2000 Autonis Best Design
· 2001 Autowelt Design Award.