- Volkswagen Passenger Cars Brand Delivers 920,700 Vehicles in Period to February
- MLB Pitcher Lives in His Dream Car- A 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia Bus
- Volkswagen Announces New Trim Line for e-Golf
• January sales total 27,209, best January since 1974-
• Much-anticipated Game Day ad released today-
• January sales total 27,209 units, a 47.9 percent increase over prior year sales
• The best January sales since 1974
• Jetta Sedan sales total 9,564 units in January, third best January ever
• Chattanooga-built Passat, Motor Trend Car of the Year, sold 6,318 units
• Tiguan sales were up 50 percent over 2011, best January ever
• High-mileage, clean diesel TDI models are up 30.2 percent, accounting for 17.6 percent of sales
HERNDON, VA — Volkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported 27,209 units sold in January, a 47.9 percent increase over prior year sales.
“We ended 2011 strong and are seeing the momentum continue into 2012 with a 47.9 percent increase, demonstrating our growth strategy continues to take root,” said Jonathan Browning, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. “With the today’s release of our much-anticipated Game Day ad, ‘The Dog Strikes Back,’ our relentless focus on the core pillars of the business, and a full line-up of new and refreshed vehicles, Volkswagen is off to a strong start in 2012.”
The Passat continues to gain steam with 6,318 units for the month of January 2012. The strong demand has created a need for increased employment at the Chattanooga plant. Volkswagen will be hiring 200 additional employees, bringing the total employees to 2,700.
Jetta sedan remains the volume leader for Volkswagen with sales totaling 9,564, slightly down from last year’s record sales.
The 2012 Beetle, the feature of the upcoming game day ad, sold 1,401 units.
The Touareg vehicles saw an increase in sales with 68 percent and the Tiguan increased 50 percent, marking the best January ever.
Volkswagen’s high-mileage, clean diesel TDI models account for 17.6 percent of sales in January, a 30.2 percent increase over 2011.
About Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen’s operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Volkswagen is one of the world’s largest producers of passenger cars and Europe’s largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Beetle, Eos, Golf, GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, Passat, CC, Tiguan, Touareg and Routan vehicles through approximately 600 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen of America online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.