VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (M this 1!)

quote:[HR][/HR]7.2sec. just like every other VW stat listed. weird isn't it.
don't believe the hype[HR][/HR]​
Where did you see this number listed? The 4motion-equipped Golf V6 is listed as 0-60 in 7.1 seconds in CAR magazine, and this number is reportedly an official number from VW. The 24v GTI should be significantly lighter without the 4motion and the tons of luxury items found on the Golf V6 4motion. The official performance stats for this car will probably be more conservative than real-life tests, so I would hope to see this car doing 0-60 in the mid-upper 6's.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (addicted2vw)

i totally agree. i'd be blown away if it didn't get into the 6's. it's just VW is always conservative and any time you look up anything, it's almost always listed around 7.2. look at the new W8 passat for instance.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (M this 1!)

the current VR6 is actually listed for 7.7 seconds on the VW website ....
and i KNOW its not that slow..
6.82 sec....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (GTI628V)

Don't forget that you can get a much better launch with torque at all 4 wheels than you can with power at just just two wheels. Less wheel spin means faster times...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (slvrhondaeater)

Baloney. Unless you have tons of power (say over 300hp), 4WD is not a good thing as far as launching goes. 4WD adds weight, but more importantly it doesn't really eliminate energy wastage through wheelspin. Instead of having wheel spin, you get clutch spin. If this didn't exist, you'll stall the engine the moment you drop the clutch. Hence, a the best way to launch a 4WD car is to spin the clutch to some notable degree. Two sticky, 225mm wide, comparatively slow spinning patches of rubber are easier to modulate than a small 6000 rpm disc. 4WD systems also exhibit anywhere from 15% to 25% drive train loss compared with 8% to 15% or there abouts of traverse FWD train. For the kind of power/weight ratios we are talking about, even if the 4WD and FWD golfs weigh the same, chances are the FWD car will be easier to launch, have less parasitic loss and be ultimately faster. Of course, they don't weigh the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (DwightLooi)

I have had a V6 4motion since the end of August, had a Mk3 VR6 before that.
I can tell you, that when you come to a junction, wet or dry roads, and see a gap, you just put your foot down a little and it takes off like a bat out of hell, no wheelspin, no under/oversteer, just goes right where you point it so fast it scares me sometimes.
0-60 though, isn't what this car was built to do, you need to get into third which slows you down a bit. But how often, actually driving on real roads, do you want to go 0-60 as fast as possible? On roads with traffic, 0-30 is probably more important, in gear acceleratiion is important for overtaking ie 30-50, 50-70.
What this car is built to do though, is play "who's got a v6 4motion and who hasn't" at the traffic lights, or drive along twisty country roads pretending to be a rally driver! or cruise easily at high speeds.
The new engine is fantastic, the number make it look only a little better than the 12V but they don't give the real picture. It just pulls and pulls at almost any RPM, in 3rd or even 4th at 1500 and want to overtake? no problem! The torque is spread so much wider.
ESP is really worth having too, it combines stability control and traction control. Say you come up an off ramp from a main road, one of the decreasing radius ones, and its been raining (all to frequent here), and you've gone a little too quickly, Instead of the back spinning out or understeering the ESP applies the brake to individual wheels (yes, just 1) and modulates the throttle to keep the car pointing the way you want it to (measures the steering angle). So although if you don't have anough grip to follow the line you want, at least the car doesn't spin off the road, you can actually feel it alterating between slight under and oversteer as it does this. Obviously it won't help if you do something really too stupid though, but a fantastic safety feature nonetheless.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

Dwight - have you seen any 60 foot times of a fwd VW with a modded 1.8T under 1.9 seconds? I've seen several chipped 225TTq's with 1.6-1.8 60 foot times. I guess the awd system isn't helping the launch?

·
Registered
1 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Baloney. Unless you have tons of power (say over 300hp), 4WD is not a good thing as far as launching goes.[HR][/HR]​
Hey this is my first post
Anyhow, that's about the most dumba$$ thing I've ever heard (sorry but I had to be blunt). Granted I've got a Subaru, I've also owned several VW's including my last one that was a Corrado G60 Stage 4++

My Corrado pulled well from a roll or on the Hwy but sucked a$$ being front wheel drive at the strip. Now my WRX will pull close to 5.0 flat 0-60 DUE TO THE AWD! I've got a simple inexpensive MBC to control boost and an intake and let me tell you that it'll pull 1.8 60' (that's 60 foot) all day long. AWD really is bad a$$ and all you need to know is how to launch and you don't need 300hp to be worth it.
Now on the other hand, AWD suffers from more drive train losses than 2wd so on the Hwy you'll realize that. Also on the drag strip cars will play catch up. Getting 1.8 60' is screaming out of the gates but will suffer from a slower trap speed at the end. My WRX runs 13.9's near stock but only gets 95mph trap speed.
Oh well, just wanted to post my first one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (Subaru WRX)

Alll I can say is... I've been in a 24V V6 4 Motion golf, and I was very impressed...
The acceleration was great, and the sound coming from the stock exhaust at lower RPM's was sweet...
I'd say 4 Motion all the way... As for the post about the slipping clutch with the 4 Motion... All I can say is... We never had a problem with the clutch slipping.. the fron tires would chirp and then you'd be off being pused into your seat.
Very nice car

Lates,
Hipnotized
PS. In Germany the new V6 Golfs and Jetta's only come with 4 Motion.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (addicted2vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]7.2sec. just like every other VW stat listed. weird isn't it.
don't believe the hype
Where did you see this number listed? The 4motion-equipped Golf V6 is listed as 0-60 in 7.1 seconds in CAR magazine, and this number is reportedly an official number from VW. The 24v GTI should be significantly lighter without the 4motion and the tons of luxury items found on the Golf V6 4motion. The official performance stats for this car will probably be more conservative than real-life tests, so I would hope to see this car doing 0-60 in the mid-upper 6's.[HR][/HR]​
So..it's slower than a stock 1.8T?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (SamTheMan)

quote:[HR][/HR]So..it's slower than a stock 1.8T?[HR][/HR]​
No offense, but you did actually READ all the above posts? The 7.2 number was just a figure he pulled out of the air (or a body crevice, if you prefer). The are no official or unofficial 0-60 mph times for a 24V 2.8L VR6 FWD Golf. Until, it gets to NA, there won't be any FWD versions of this car. All the ROW versions are 4Motion.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (dmkozak)

Ok - big assumption on my part here - but the 25th Anniversary 6 speed pulled a 6.5 0-60 in C&D's test. ASSUMING that the same ratios go in the 24V (which may or may not happen) I would look for a 6.2-6.5 0-60. That would be about right considering the weight difference is minimal and the previous 12V best time of 6.8 in the 0-60 tests.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Re: 0-60??? (JLucchio)

My thoughts exactly, but I have a good feeling it'll be 6.0-6.2 0-60. May it's wishful thinking, or maybe I'm right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts