VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not a lot of performance stuff is out for the new VR6, but what *would* be the cheapest/easiest way to quicken this baby up? (Not counting Nitrous).
(And I'm not trying to start a debate on "acceleration aint everything"...I'm just curious what route you'd go with this engine (supercharger vs. turbo vs. ???)

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (mattdesmond)

If you want to achieve 0-60 in 5 seconds, you'd have to go with a turbo or supercharger.
You might want to try and lower its weight. The old-school rule of thumb states that for every 100lbs. you take off the car, you'll take off 0.01 seconds off your 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (grue)

Won't be that easy on a FWD car to get 5.0 sec. Even the Altima 3.5 with 260HP can't reach 5.0 sec flat as easy as many AWD and RWD sports cars.
I know a guy with a Turbo that runs his MK4 GTI 12.7 sec at the quarter mile, so that's roughly 4.9 sec.
You probably don't want the GTI that fast, it's very expensive and the amount of hardware is very difficult to setup and take care of as a daily ride.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (kyokoris)

quote:[HR][/HR]twin engine....
one 24V at the front, one turbo charged 2.0 at the back and run full booost [HR][/HR]​
hehe, someone had to bring up a DubSport-like idea
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Doublearon, 12:03 AM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Here's how to do it...

Do the following...
1) Remove all the seats except the the driver's (remove all cloth and padding from the driver's seat).
2) Rip out all the door panels, dash (except instrument cluster), the headliner, center console and all lining in the trunk.
3) Remove speakers, head unit, carpeting, airbags, spare tire and sunroof.
4) Rip out air conditioner and the lining under the hood.
5) Remove all cosmetic plastic parts from engine compartment (e.g. Engine cover, battery cover etc).
6) have the undercoating stripped off.
Now get a turbo kit or better yet, a supercharger kit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (Fireproof)

go sleep and dream about 0-60mph in 5 seconds with your car
or try it with a 10 degrees downhill
otherwise it is nearly impossible for FWD to achieve 5 sec unless you use racing slick tires

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe - the "5 sec" was just a joke...

I didn't mean literally get the car to go that fast. Just meant to get ideas and thoughts around "quickening it up" like the I said in the body of the post. (Great comments though - sorry for the confusion).
At any rate, I agree that it's not the right car for a "race car" (FWD, heavy, etc.)
For some incremental "quickness", do you think filters, re-do exhaust, chips, etc, would be worth looking into? (Be easy - I am a newbie!) Basically I'm wanting to see if there are any options for making it a bit quicker than stock, without having to add a supercharger for 5 grand or something like that. Or are the other changes so minor, that it's not even worth messing with?
At any rate, it's a blast to drive right now and should be more fun when I get my H&R springs installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Hehe - the "5 sec" was just a joke... (Fireproof)

Upgraded suspension, chip, full exhaust (cat-back), a turbo upgrade, new tires, lighter rims than those GLi ones and honestly you'll be going very quick.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (Evensnowdies)

4Motion Conversion
Bored and stroked to 3.2L
Turbo
Stand alone engine management
Some weight loss to compensate for the gains with 4Mo
This should get you to over 300 hp and mid 5 seconds 0-60 if all is done right ... and with 4Mo you wont have big traction issues either.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Re: 0-60mph in 5 sec. (mattdesmond)

quote:[HR][/HR]Tight suspension, wide-ass wheels, a quaife limited slip, and a turbo setup.
That should do it, no problem, if you have about $10k...[HR][/HR]​
This plus the matrix turbo kit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Here's how to do it... (RubberDubbie)

quote:[HR][/HR]Do the following...
1) Remove all the seats except the the driver's (remove all cloth and padding from the driver's seat).
2) Rip out all the door panels, dash (except instrument cluster), the headliner, center console and all lining in the trunk.
3) Remove speakers, head unit, carpeting, airbags, spare tire and sunroof.
4) Rip out air conditioner and the lining under the hood.
5) Remove all cosmetic plastic parts from engine compartment (e.g. Engine cover, battery cover etc).
6) have the undercoating stripped off.
Now get a turbo kit or better yet, a supercharger kit.
[HR][/HR]​
Did anyone see the last issue of Sport Compact Car, they dropped 2 sec in th quarter mile by gutting and chopping up a G20 or a sentry, it was only a drivers seat on the chasis...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.