VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a popping (backfiring?) noise with a 00 Cabrio (2.0L) when downshifting? Dealer suggests may be a fuel valve/air issue?
When the car was new this sound was not heard, but now with 20,000 miles I can hear this popping noise, especially when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: 00 Cabrio Popping/Backfiring When Downshifting (Comogeek_ofa_frogman)

Don't downshift from 2nd to 1st gear, If you are going to do that just push lightly until the RPM is low enough that the synchro falls into place and you slip into first. I used to do that and I'd grind every damn time.
As far as the popping goes, Have you done any modifications to the car yet? When Chipped my car and started using 93 octane(i had a new exhaust put on when i bought it used) it started popping only when I downshifted. It did it for a few months, then stopped. I would imagine it has something to do with blowing some substantial portions of your cat out of the tail pipe. Needless to say, it stopped on it's own. So I'm happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 00 Cabrio Popping/Backfiring When Downshifting (Mike.vw.gti)

Thanks for the input!
New exhaust from dealer (manifold to tailpipe), using premium fuel (choice does not matter), no changes/improvements made to car since we have owned. Dealer has contacted VW Zone Mgr and VW Corporate for their input.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: 00 Cabrio Popping/Backfiring When Downshifting (Comogeek_ofa_frogman)

it may just be the new exhaust. some amount of "popping" is normal or common, you just may not have heard it before.
btw, why did you have to replace your whole exhaust system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts