VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been auto crossing for a few years now and have always ran rwd. Still have an e30 set up EP. But have been looking for something with less setup and tear down to run for Fun and since the e30 is in need of a rebuild I was thinking of running my dd jetta in a few autoxs this summer. Like 3 or 4. So here is my setup.

1 inch eibach street lower springs (very soft)

KYB AGX shocks and struts

Polly front and rear control arm bushings

Polly upper strut bushings

Polly rear motor mount

New ball joints and tie rods

Stop tech pads and rotors front and rear

Diesel geek SS

Hacked open side of air box ( this was complements of the previous owner)

I was contemplating building a rear sway bar but am insure of how big I want to go with it.
Also with front wheel drive is a front sway bar necessary I see a lot of people not running them but I still have very soft spring rates and I feel like this will make the front end feel very washy.

I was going to class the car in STF also.

Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Mike, I think STF is where you should be. I ran my 04 GLI VR in STF last year. Because of my tune and suspension, I was bumped out of Stock classing. Only made one event. A few of the mods you've done will definitely push you out of the stock class. Which has been renamed, "street" from what I hear. So yeah, most likely STF, but don't quote me, it's only my second year of reading and competing in AutoX.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So far, STF.

With soft front springs, keep the stock front sway at least. If you go with stiff springs, reconsider, but I would probably still run a front sway.

I wouldn't consider a rear sway essential. It would help, sure, but to start with just setting the shocks stiffer in the rear should have it rotating just fine.

I haven't autocrossed a mk4. But my mk2 would turn right where I wanted it with a MONSTER front bar, no rear bar, and the right shock settings.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I'm going to go STF and I ordered a set of sparco rims in a 17 and was debating on the tires. I was looking at the contiextreamcontact dw they are a 300 tread wear and I think that the min for STF is 200. I don't want to go to soft on the tires though as I drive the car 100 miles round trip to work Monday- Friday and really didn't want to cord a set in a summer. There were a few other tire like dunlops and good years. Wasn't sure if anyone had any suggestions on tires.
As for the rear sway I have some. Extra tubing in a 26mm laying around so I was going to just bend one up and give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The extremecontact DW are very good, and are generally considered a/the top 'wet' tire. But they are a notably different from the 200tw tires [dunlop Z2, hankook RS3, BFG Rival]. Even the 200tw set will get you through a season of commuting and racing and more. I have put 10k miles and 100 autocross runs on a set of 200tw that still has 2/32 of tread. I expect the same with the new set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts