VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sisters 2001 Passat does this weird thing. When you're braking to a stop, and from any speed, the engine kinda kicks, almost as if it's shifting, just before the car comes to a stop. Anyone know what this is and why it happens, or have similar issue?

[Modified by gtIRIE, 11:19 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: '01 Car sorta 'jumps' when braking, coming to a stop (gtIRIE)

My 02 GLX automatic does that too on occasion! It feels as if the engine wants to jump out of of the car. It's a weird sensation. Not sure why it's happening.

·
Registered
316 Posts

same to mine, but it went away after a couple of months....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

Put the car in Tip mode and see if the "jump" is occuring at the time of the 2-1 downshift. Mine changes juuuuuust before a complete stop, and you can feel it usually. I've described my symptom to the dealership's service foreman as a harsh 2-1 downshift.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: '01 Car sorta 'jumps' when braking, coming to a stop (DCdave)

Agree with DCdave. It's most likely the 2-1 downshift. The smoother the road and the more sedate my stop it becomes very noticable and irritating. Dealer also confirmed same as DCdave's. Is much less noticable if I have people in the car, too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: '01 Car sorta 'jumps' when braking, coming to a stop (jntsfan)

Hmm..I've put my car into neutral, just to isolate if it was something simply physical or mechanical, and it goes away in neutral, so it is most likely the 2-1 downshift. That's kinda sucky if it is that. How can they possibly make a car do that? Is that 'normal'? Is there a fix and do all of the tip's do this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: '01 Car sorta 'jumps' when braking, coming to a stop (pkunda)

quote:[HR][/HR]same to mine, but it went away after a couple of months....[HR][/HR]​
How many miles you have on the car? Mines is going 6000 miles, so hopefully it will go away like yers??

·
Registered
237 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but mine only does this when I'm in Tip, crawling in a traffic jam in first. If I take my foot off the accelerator, the car lurches, almost as if I'd released the clutch too quickly. Discovered shifting up into 2nd, even if the revs are still low, solves the problem.
Bear in mind I chipped my Tip.

·
Registered
442 Posts

my '99 V6/auto has that thump when I'm braking to a stop BUT only when I have put the tranny to Neutral (auto) BEFORE coming to a stop. However this does not happen to my '01.5 V6/auto. wonder if the tip chip will solve this??

·
Registered
316 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]same to mine, but it went away after a couple of months....
How many miles you have on the car? Mines is going 6000 miles, so hopefully it will go away like yers??[HR][/HR]​
I have about 18k, the symptom went away around 6000 miles, about where you are now....it may be a change in my driving style, or just engine smoothing out.
oh, and i did get the tip reset around that time too, maybe you could give that a try...btw, i have the V6, not the 1.8

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: '01 Car sorta 'jumps' when braking, coming to a stop (pkunda)

how do you get the tip reset, mine is doing it more than i think is acceptable, vw even replaced the tranny and the problem persists.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I have an '01 Jetta and my car does the same exact thing. I was just going to put a posting about this but I see you beat me to it. I have had my car for almost 9 months now. Should I worry?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.