VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Literally just bought this car Saturday from a dealership in MO, i live in AR. Drove it back no problems. Start it up and drive it around yesterday and bring back home and hear a ticking coming from motor.

I pop the hood to inspect and the sound is central sounds like right under valve cover, and almost like a diesel at idle, when i rev above 2 the sound seems to drown out or go away.

Ive done some reading on it and some say its cam chain tensioner, others say its just tensioner pad going bad, and also could be oil pump failure?

My question is what do i need to look for to be for sure thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pretty sure it's the cam chain tensioner, having the same issue with my car right now. Haven't looked at it yet, but my car did have sludging issues when I bought it so that could be a contributing factor :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sure its not just the injectors ticking?? They are known to be loud

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Terminator,

Generally the 1.8t is a "ticky" sounding motor like saltlife said, due to the valve train and loud injectors.

On the other hand, if the ticking goes away or changes with rpm or can be pinpointed to a specific part of the engine as you said, then it could be something more specific.

If the car was sold to you by a dealership, other than Volkswagen, my bet would be on incorrect oil weight. The 1.8t is a very specific motor in the sense that it won't run very well or how it was designed to, with non oem parts or oem spec fluids. My first route would be to change the oil with German spec, fully synthetic motor, i believe it is 5w40, motul or liqui moly works great from experience.

If that doesn't change anything or you are certain the dealership used the proper oil then my bet would be the CCT unit which is located on the drivers side of the valve cover. It is controlled electronically and by oil pressure, valve train ticking can be caused by a lack of tension on the cam chain, resulting in a ticking noise.

In terms of oil pump failure, typically the oil pressure sensor would illuminate the cluster letting you know the oil pressure is too low (sensor only active past 1000rpm)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure its not just the injectors ticking?? They are known to be loud
Saltlife, im not sure if its injectors or not this my first vw so im on a wide learning curve and glad i found these forums
Hey Terminator,

Generally the 1.8t is a "ticky" sounding motor like saltlife said, due to the valve train and loud injectors.

On the other hand, if the ticking goes away or changes with rpm or can be pinpointed to a specific part of the engine as you said, then it could be something more specific.

If the car was sold to you by a dealership, other than Volkswagen, my bet would be on incorrect oil weight. The 1.8t is a very specific motor in the sense that it won't run very well or how it was designed to, with non oem parts or oem spec fluids. My first route would be to change the oil with German spec, fully synthetic motor, i believe it is 5w40, motul or liqui moly works great from experience.

If that doesn't change anything or you are certain the dealership used the proper oil then my bet would be the CCT unit which is located on the drivers side of the valve cover. It is controlled electronically and by oil pressure, valve train ticking can be caused by a lack of tension on the cam chain, resulting in a ticking noise.

In terms of oil pump failure, typically the oil pressure sensor would illuminate the cluster letting you know the oil pressure is too low (sensor only active past 1000rpm)

Hope this helps
Thanks for reply quicksiver50, okay thats first thing ill do is change the oil! Could you be a little clearer on the brands? 5w40 Mobil 1? Is that what you meant. Hopefully will be able to change oil tom assuming parts store in town has vw filter may have to wait a day. Thanks! Now i have some direction to start.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Saltlife, im not sure if its injectors or not this my first vw so im on a wide learning curve and glad i found these forums

Thanks for reply quicksiver50, okay thats first thing ill do is change the oil! Could you be a little clearer on the brands? 5w40 Mobil 1? Is that what you meant. Hopefully will be able to change oil tom assuming parts store in town has vw filter may have to wait a day. Thanks! Now i have some direction to start.
Take a extension from your tool set and hold one side to your ear and the other side to the valve cover then down the side of the head. If you are hearing it coming through then you go something going on. If not ill bet its just the injectors as these are sooo much more loud then any other car. Oil i use 0w40 Mobil One. Just dont over fill and you will be fine. And the oil filter get a MANN or whatever and your set

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not a worry, welcome to the forums. For oil weight, always use 5w40 as it calls for in the Bentley just as good measure. As for brands, I have always used Motul or liqui moly, they are German oil brands commonly found at specialty shops or garages. Mobil 1 will work fine, just ensure it's the proper weight.
Should take 4.7L with the smaller filter, 5.0L on the dot with the larger uprated.

A note is to make sure it's the revised oil filter, slightly larger than the spec they were released with. A smaller oil filter won't cause the issue your having but it's good to know when replacing it.

Could also just post a video of it idling and revving, might help us pinpoint the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Take a extension from your tool set and hold one side to your ear and the other side to the valve cover then down the side of the head. If you are hearing it coming through then you go something going on. If not ill bet its just the injectors as these are sooo much more loud then any other car. Oil i use 0w40 Mobil One. Just dont over fill and you will be fine. And the oil filter get a MANN or whatever and your set
Okay will do man. Like a stethoscope. Ill get back to you on that and i will record video if i still feel stumped afterwards.And it seems yall have varying opinions on oil. I know i can get that 0w40 at parts store but may have to order the other stuff online. Also how can i be sure im getting the "bigger" of the two filters?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Okay will do man. Like a stethoscope. Ill get back to you on that and i will record video if i still feel stumped afterwards.And it seems yall have varying opinions on oil. I know i can get that 0w40 at parts store but may have to order the other stuff online. Also how can i be sure im getting the "bigger" of the two filters?
I run 0w40. Either one is fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts