VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A friend might be interested. I didn't see any mention of a swapped rear diff. Didn't the B5 S4 manual transmission (01E 6MT) have a different awd quattro final drive ratio (4.11:1) than the B5 S4 Tiptronic automatic (3.5:1 IIRC)? Obviously, the front and rear final drives would have to match so the center Torsen in the 01E wouldn't pop (i.e., get destroyed). Thus, I believe this car would still need at least a rear differential assembly (and probably a rear driveshaft) sourced from a B5 S4 6MT to replace it's Tiptronic rear diff. Has this swap been driven yet (or even flat-towed) with all driveshafts connected?

Caveat: If the drivetrain is from an Allroad, although the updated 2.7T and 01E 6MT should easily swap, the Allroad rear diff assembly (e.g., C5 A6 style) would not have fit (at least not without major surgery). Even if the Allroad had the same R&P ratio (4.11:1) as the S4 6MT, I seriously doubt if that R&P matched gear pair (and particularly not the pinion) could be swapped over into the S4 housing (assumed from significantly different housing shapes although I've admittedly never had both open for comparison).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts