VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Ok, Holiday is over, back to work on this transmission. Today I installed the B1 clutches with the help of a well done video.
Had a little issue with installing the "freewheel" as the roller bearings were proud of the item it was being installed over. I just used a piece of 3" PVC pipe with a few wraps of duct tape to make it slightly more than 3" and inserted and rotated clockwise. It pushed the roller bearings back into their retainer and allowed it to be slid over the other piece. (I don't know the name of it).
All seemed to go swimmingly until I did the recommended test to see if the clutches apply and release when I applied 110 psi of air to the port which applies the piston. I didn't get nearly the clutch movement that the video showed. I'm guessing mine only about moved 2-3 mm. I disassembled and reassembled using more lube and checked that the clutch plates were not hung up. Also checked the piston movement with low air pressure all by it self. It moved very well when out of the drum, moved a good distance. I have no idea if this is enough travel or not. As the video was of an 01M like mine but a different code (as it had only 4 clutches in the B1, while mine has 6 clutches) ,I am thinking that perhaps there is just more space for movement in his. It does press the disks together tight and releases with a few mm of space. Anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks.
Ps. Anyone know a good manual for an 01M that is somewhat realistically priced?

·
Registered
499 Posts
did you figure this out. I had the same issue. once I introduced compressed air into the feed hole my clutches barely moved. well anyway I assembled the whole trans and installed. drove well for the first 5 miles or so. initially I baby'd it just around the block probably didn't even get above 2nd gear. But I wanted to really put it to the test, so I drove it up a few hills and around town. it wasn't until then that I noticed hard shifting and whining coming from first gear. so I don't know if the issue is related to the clutch assemblies or possibly a bad TCC solenoid. ill probably drop the valve body next and inspect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts