VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start with the original symptom of no 3rd gear. Replaced valve body/solenoids/harness/filter/fluid/G68/G38. Now I have no gears engagement at all and it wont roll in neutral. I did the reset using VCDS to no avail. Could it be to low of fluid level and or line pressure?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's possible. You have to set the fluid level correctly since there's no dip stick. There's a tiny inner tube that sets the level. Lots of videos/instructions online.

You mentioned that you replaced the harness and solenoids. Maybe worthwhile to double-check the connections or reconnect them.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Solenoids were already installed with valve body. I will check the fluid level at temp.
I have already used the VCDS to test sensors(good) and shift positions(good). No codes so either line pressure, fluid level or TCM is not sending a signal. As stated I had R-1-2 but no 3rd. With the old valve body.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good luck and let us know how you resolved the issue. My 01M transmission lasted over 140K miles and almost 20 years. It's a much tougher transmission than the internet makes it out to be.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not had the time to drop the old pan that has a rusted drain screw and replace it with the new pan and transfer the tube over yet. I can’t even get the car to roll in neutral. This is an issue I also heard can happen but before the valve body change the car had R-1-2 so I’m not sure if it’s under filled or TCM has to be changed or re learned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmm... doesn't sound right for the car to not even being able to move in neutral. Hows the differential side of things?

My differential failed at around 100K after not changing its fluids. So the transmission was fine since I knew to change the ATF, but I didn't know about the separate differential, so that bew up on me and I had to rebuild that part.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Could be that it just needs filled a little more. Haven’t got to it yet. But like I said before changing out valve body/solenoids as a package and harness then replaced fluid twice this time the fill level screw is rusted so new pan and swap tube will need to be done and re fill and bring to temp and check. As mentioned before we had R-1-2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not had the time to drop the old pan that has a rusted drain screw and replace it with the new pan and transfer the tube over yet. I can’t even get the car to roll in neutral. This is an issue I also heard can happen but before the valve body change the car had R-1-2 so I’m not sure if it’s under filled or TCM has to be changed or re learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.