VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last night I rebuilt my valve body in my 2000 Cabrio (I was having a hard 2-3 shift and a 2-second delay from neutral to reverse-no codes stored). I rebuilt my valve body with the Transgo shift kit. I cleaned the valve bores with a Bench Buddy nylon brush set and was very careful to reassemble it the way I took it apart. I changed all solenoids and the wire harness while I had it all apart. Last night during a test drive, it slipped badly for the first 4 or 5 minutes (I could rev it to 3k without moving more than 5mph) then after that it, seemed fine. I though it was because the transmission fluid needed to circulate.

Then this morning, the same thing happened. It takes a few minutes for it to get enough steam to drive. I'm stuck and don't know much about auto transmissions but I am learning. I'd be grateful for any help, thank you!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved!!

Two weeks and zero responses, the silence is much appreciated, I'm feeling the love here people, thanks so much guys :heart:

To close this up and in case anyone in the future has the same problem as I, here is what went wrong: I installed the converter valve backwards. The first photo shows how I installed it backwards, and the second photo shows how it's supposed to be installed. NOTE: It assembles just as easy backwards (wrong way) as it does the right way, so please be careful when assembling!

WRONG WAY:

CORRECT WAY:

Also, it's absolutely necessary to use a proper inch-pound torque wrench when re-installing the valve body! DON'T GUESS! Borrow one if you don't have one but you MUST USE one! Too little torque and you will lose pressure, resulting in slipping and shifting problems. Too much torque, even just a tiny bit, and the valves might bind. Either way you will have to drop the pan again to remedy it, so save yourself some headache and do it right the first time with a torque wrench -- you'll save time and you'll save money in ATF!

One other bit of advice: have an assortment of metric o-rings on hand to dress the reverse feed tube when you drop the valve body. There are two o-rings on the reverse feed tube. If you're having delayed reverse engagement, replacing the o-rings might help. If you pull the reverse feed tube and only see one o-ring, check the bore in the transmission case - the second o-ring might be stuck up there. Here is how it looks:

Last bit of advice: take trans pressure readings with a gauge hooked up to the trans BEFORE you begin the rebuild to see if you will need to bump up the line pressure. Also when using the Transgo shift kit, the new adjustable pressure regulator valve is locked in with a circlip. If you're unsure of your line pressure adjustment, it might be a good idea to use heavy wire and twist it tight instead of the supplied circlip. If you have remove the circlip to adjust the pressure regulator valve, it is virtually impossible to remove the circlip once the valve body is installed. One notch (or click) is about a 4psi increase in pressure.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts