VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can somebody plz help!!! I hav 01 jetta 1.8T with automatic. Heres the story...the trans was slow engaging into gear wen i would go from reverse into drive. I would hit throttle and it would rev but not move. After bout a minute, it would SLOWLY start to move. Evry time i would pull out from a stop, again it would rev high then slowly get goin. I had trans filter and fluid changed and after a week it was worse than evr. I always let it warm up for 20mins b4 driving. I put it in reverse it revved but didnt move. Put it in neutral and it wanted to drive. Finally went in reverse and got it goin down the highway. Got off an exit and it wouldnt come outa first. Pulled over and lost ALL gears. Had it scanned and it said "incorrect gear ratio". Kid who scanned it didnt knw wat tht meant. Wen i told him bout changing filter he said that destroyed my trans and only fix is swap. Got a DIFFERENT guy to tow it to a local shop (he claims hes been werkin on vws for 35yrs). After having my car for 3 days he said its pulling codes he didnt understand!!!! Wtf! Im sure hes guna try to rip me off as well. Idk wat to do. I need my car back. Does anybody hav any advice? Duz this sound like the N92 problem or worse? I have no problem paying to hav it fixed but dnt wana b bull****ted and ripped off. If its the solenoids ir valve body and any yall near pittsburgh pa, il pay u to fix it. Any help would b greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Can somebody plz help!!! I hav 01 jetta 1.8T with automatic. Heres the story...the trans was slow engaging into gear wen i would go from reverse into drive. I would hit throttle and it would rev but not move. After bout a minute, it would SLOWLY start to move. Evry time i would pull out from a stop, again it would rev high then slowly get goin. I had trans filter and fluid changed and after a week it was worse than evr. I always let it warm up for 20mins b4 driving. I put it in reverse it revved but didnt move. Put it in neutral and it wanted to drive. Finally went in reverse and got it goin down the highway. Got off an exit and it wouldnt come outa first. Pulled over and lost ALL gears. Had it scanned and it said "incorrect gear ratio". Kid who scanned it didnt knw wat tht meant. Wen i told him bout changing filter he said that destroyed my trans and only fix is swap. Got a DIFFERENT guy to tow it to a local shop (he claims hes been werkin on vws for 35yrs). After having my car for 3 days he said its pulling codes he didnt understand!!!! Wtf! Im sure hes guna try to rip me off as well. Idk wat to do. I need my car back. Does anybody hav any advice? Duz this sound like the N92 problem or worse? I have no problem paying to hav it fixed but dnt wana b bull****ted and ripped off. If its the solenoids ir valve body and any yall near pittsburgh pa, il pay u to fix it. Any help would b greatly appreciated
you probably have a 01m since you have a 2001. Everything your describing sounds like you need to start budgeting for a trans. Maybe the guys your talking too aint trying to rip you off after all.

FYI if you have a 01m this isnt' the correct thread to be discussing this as this thread is centered on the 09A trans. (if you have a pan on the bottom of the trans then you have a 01m)

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lot of great info here all- I’m grateful to have found this forum. I’m a new owner of a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon, automatic transmission, and are having similar issues... though the car first started having trouble engaging in first gear when moving from a standstill (revved up a lot before engaging), and has quite a delay before engaging into 2nd as well. The biggest difference here that I’ve noticed when compared to other similar threads on this topic is that my car was having these troubles after is was WARM (after running 5-10 min), not COLD. These were the issues that were most obvious to me, before I had it towed to the shop.

Long story short, the car was a very recent purchase from a dealership, and I’m pushing them for part responsibility in the potential repairs (based on the salesperson’s 30-day “guarantee”... which I should have got in writing. Lesson learned I guess). Anyway, the car has been looked at by a transmission shop that the dealership sometimes uses (not my first choice obviously, but the dealership is willing to take part financial responsibility...). Apparently nothing is showing up their diagnostic tests, and they’re recommending a rebuild of the transmission. Parts list as follows:

VW Valve body
Seals & rings are metalclad aftermarket
Clutches are Borg Warner
Torque convertor is a remanufactured unit from Transtar Recon

Been calling/researching like a madman for the past 2+ weeks, and was recommended to call (by a VW mechanic) a local transmission shop. Based on my description of the problems, he would take these steps:

Scan codes
Drop pan and check condition of transmission fluid (I’m not sure if dealer’s transmission shop has done this, though I would hope so; I will be speaking with them directly on Monday, instead of through the dealer)
Service the transmission, flush, new oil (50/50 chance that this would help)
Run car for 2-3 weeks; if problem shows up again, will start to tear apart transmission
Replace clutches, 9 solenoids, sensors

This shop said that for this transmission (09A?), that it would be unlikely that the Valve Body would need replacement, and that he would change the solenoids and sensors. This is different than the other shop’s recommendations, though is more in alignment with this thread. Is it true that it is unlikely that the Valve Body would need replacement? Some other shops I’ve talked to (VW/Import specific), mentioned that the Valve Body would likely need replacing and is an expensive part.

Both quotes for the work from both of these places is around the same amount, but with different parts being replaced/serviced. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lot of searches on this topic lead to replacement of all 9 solenoids... dumb question, but does a new VW valve body include the 9 solenoids, or is that usually a separate parts order? Will gain a bit more clarity tomorrow when I can speak to the tranny shop, but just wanted to get some feedback in the meantime.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
VWadventure - I just checked my bit old ETKA software for valve body and for example for my Golf 2001 and it offers the following options:
A. valve body 09A325039D whitch includes 9 solenoids, 3 bolts and 3 o-rings (parts 3-11, 13-15 and 20-23 from picture)
B. You can buy all those also separately but I found them under "control unit" parts with separate part numbers
I made screenshots for all 4 pages to easily understand. My ETKA software is quite old but the parts selling system is probably still the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
VWadventure - I just checked my bit old ETKA software for valve body and for example for my Golf 2001 and it offers the following options:
A. valve body 09A325039D whitch includes 9 solenoids, 3 bolts and 3 o-rings (parts 3-11, 13-15 and 20-23 from picture)
B. You can buy all those also separately but I found them under "control unit" parts with separate part numbers
I made screenshots for all 4 pages to easily understand. My ETKA software is quite old but the parts selling system is probably still the same.
Thanks for the screen shots spacesnow, it is helpful to see it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You welcome,
this site have been so many times so helpful for me that it's pleasure to be able to share something from my side! I saved the price of refurbished new trannybox which was offered by local repair shop when I saw this thread and got my old tranny fixed by changing one solenoid.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
just for the record i have successfully repaired 6 transmissions with just the n92 solenoid. I work at AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS :cool:
If you look at those solenoids carefully you'll see there are 6 that are exactly the same as the n92. They are EXACTLY the same but have different brackets welded to them for the various positions that they mount in. they stick because of the design. So by changing the one solenoid you can count on another failing later and causing another symptom. Your doing the customer a dis-service if they have to pay labor again when it looses reverse cold only or some other sticky solenoid related symptom.

I've had numerous different solenoids of the n92 design stick, yes the n92 is most common.

The other 3 solenoids are of a different design but they also are identical to each other, just with different brackets welded to them for the various mounting positions. I've had less of these stick but they do stick. One makes it seem like the trans is junk as it will slip and bang on most every shift.

anyway... just my 2 cents worth. If the solenoids are all the same, and you change just one..... likely the others will stick also.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
these are all customers that where given the option to rebuild the trans, or replace all 9 solenoids, or just one. these are all people that had no money to repair the cars the right way so they are very happy to have found an alternative route to go!!! also all were informed of possible problems in the future. when did vwvortex become filled with so many complainers wow!:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
these are all customers that where given the option to rebuild the trans, or replace all 9 solenoids, or just one. these are all people that had no money to repair the cars the right way so they are very happy to have found an alternative route to go!!! also all were informed of possible problems in the future. when did vwvortex become filled with so many complainers wow!:confused:
I think to offer to change all 9 is OK but I did only one and I asked from the guy who did the repair about other similar cases. The repair-shop kinda really specified on tiptronic trans and quick solenoid changes so almost everybody in town goes to them if tip goes bananas. He said maybe 1-2% customers wants to change other magnets too, besides the faulty one. For me I just keep my monthly budged in balance if i fix car as it brokes. Sure it would be nice to buy a new door if corner gets rustyor new seat if the spring jumpsout of it but the car is 10 years old and maybe it doesn't last as long as the next solenoid dies.
Anyway I disagree with you because there are still those good fellows on forum who gives you that very necessary and sometimes tricky information how to get things done at your car. And there are always many more people who doesn't help much. Like in real life...

·
Registered
21 Posts
please read the entire conversation before you comment i am one of the guys that offer the help!
Hey, my answer actually wasn't meant to you but more like retorical answer to everyone who might complain about the forum and posters. I am pretty sure thanks to your advices I saved the costs of tranny-change, so I can only say thanks again to you and please keep the fire burning and don't pay attention to irrelevant posts!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Need Your Advice!

Hey guys, I had no choice but to wake this thread up.

Thanks to you, my friend--a very good mechanic--was able to eliminate the stuck-in first-gear after cold start problem on my daughter's '02 GTI by replacing the N92 solenoid. More than 6 months passed since then and the car had been running fine until the past week: it started acting up again.

I cold-started the car and drove off to see what's happening. It shifted from first to second and so on, but with noticeable delay and the shifts weren't smooth either, kind of jerky. I then switched gears manually which was ok, but when I downshifted from 5th to 4th, or 3d to 2nd it was difficult to tell if it shifted or not, it always felt as driving in 4th or 5th gear. Pushing more on accelerator didn't make any difference for a short period of time, but then the gears engaged. Manual upshifting felt fine. The car might behave fine for a day or two, but it happens again and again.

Following to others' advice in this thread, we decided to replace all the remaining solenoids and I ordered this set from eBay. Since many of you accumulated such an in-depth experience in this I am asking for your advice on what else would you recommend to replace during this repair process?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Hey guys, I had no choice but to wake this thread up.

Thanks to you, my friend--a very good mechanic--was able to eliminate the stuck-in first-gear after cold start problem on my daughter's '02 GTI by replacing the N92 solenoid. More than 6 months passed since then and the car had been running fine until the past week: it started acting up again.

I cold-started the car and drove off to see what's happening. It shifted from first to second and so on, but with noticeable delay and the shifts weren't smooth either, kind of jerky. I then switched gears manually which was ok, but when I downshifted from 5th to 4th, or 3d to 2nd it was difficult to tell if it shifted or not, it always felt as driving in 4th or 5th gear. Pushing more on accelerator didn't make any difference for a short period of time, but then the gears engaged. Manual upshifting felt fine. The car might behave fine for a day or two, but it happens again and again.

Following to others' advice in this thread, we decided to replace all the remaining solenoids and I ordered this set from eBay. Since many of you accumulated such an in-depth experience in this I am asking for your advice on what else would you recommend to replace during this repair process?

There is a problem with your post.... your posting in a thread that is discussing a common problem with a 09A trans. Yet you seem to have ordered a solenoid set for a 01m. Do you know what transmission you have?

181 - 200 of 232 Posts