VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not shifting into 2nd when cold

So after a month or so of reading all the info I could on this N92 solenoid issue I decided to take my Jetta to a transmission shop. No codes popped up on the computer and they told me I need it rebuilt. When it's cold outside (below freezing) I have to let it warm up for around 20-40 minutes before it'll shift into 2nd and then it's fine once it's warmed up. Being I seem to be having the same issue as the rest of everyone... do I just need the N92 solenoid? I think this tranny "mechanic" is full of crap thinking its not that when tons of other people have had positive results after replacing it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
4,015 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, my daughter's car is acting up. A few weeks ago she called saying her transmission is acting funny. Last week I had to go to her friend's house and bring it home.

When I got in it, it would not shift into second. It would try, but no power and it'd go back into 1st. Once I got it to the highway, I went ahead and revved the engine up and it shifted into 4th and then into 5th normally.

When I got off the interstate, it shifted fine.

However, that was the last time it has shifted fine, regardless of whether it has warmed up or not. I have to rev the engine way up in first to get the vehicle speed high enough for it to slide into 4th gear. I let it rev up, let off the gas, the engine speed will drop and it'll go into 4th. It'll shift between 4th and 5th fine.

I'm getting PO732 and PO733, both engine speed not matching vehicle speed, suggesting slipping in 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes it will act like it is shifting into 2nd, but it just slips. Sometimes it just doesn't shift and I do the 4th gear thing.

Does this sound like N92? An occasional slipping 2nd and 3rd, but mainly no shift into 2nd or 3rd?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Limp Mode?

So, as I'm sure you've heard a million times over, I am a MKIV owner who ended up with the n92 solenoid shift problem in the 09A transmission--(2002 Jetta GLS 1.8t).

After extensive searching I purchased the full kit from Cobra and took my vehicle to a local transmission shop who said they would do the swap out with my parts and fluid for $250+

-sweet deal I thought.

So I took it up there and they called me a few days later to tell me that the job was done. I go up to the shop to pick up the car and the technician tells me that everything seems to good inside the transmission, the solenoid readouts are on point but the car is throwing a code (I dont recall the code # off of the top of my head, but I remembered looking it up and it had to do with the N88 solenoid) anyway, he says he's not sure what is causing the electrical problem causing the car to go into Limp (safe) mode or the why it's throwing the code because everything inside the transmission is reading as it should and referred me to a local vehicle electrician to do further testing.

The electrician does his thing and comes back to tell me that that the Valve 1 (N88) solenoid is checking in at 6 OHMS when it should be SPEC at 9-24

All other solenoids are in at 16 OHMS and that I have a bad N88 solenoid.

Weird. They're all new and the transmission tech said they all read correctly.

So I take it back up to the transmission guy and tell him whats up. He takes it apart and checks it all out again and says there isn't a bad solenoid and all readouts are as good as they were before when he sent me to the electrician.

This wasn't a problem prior to the solenoid swap.

I had the cold start issue where I would have to let the engine get to temp before the transmission would change gears, after that it ran smoothly.

So now, what he's thinking we need to do is replace the internal and external wiring harness.

These things are expensive, the only ones I can track down are on cobra transmission and to get them both will be around about $470--and that doesn't even include the Sensor Wire Harness or the sensors.

(Links: internal- http://cobratransmission.com/09a-vw-internal-wire-harness-803043-1 external- http://cobratransmission.com/09a-vw-external-wire-harness-803042-1 )

So, I was wondering if anyone in this forum had any experience with this.

Is there any place I can find the harness as a set for much cheaper?

could the problem potentially be somewhere else?

Needing help quick. My car is currently taking up space at his shop and we're both wanting to get this problem solved as quickly as possible I'm sure!

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
did you even get the issue settled re: changing out all the solenoids vs figuring out about the wiring? I may be in the same boat, but have not yet swapped the solenoids.
Hi Steve, when I had this "morning sickness" problem with my 09A tranny, I probably read all the posts regarding the issue in this forum and also in few others and it always came to the same solution - replace the solenoid. Not a one I read was about broken wire or harnesses. I got my solenoid changed for about few hundred € and it still working like Swiss clock (not the Thailand replica).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to thank everyone who contributed here.
My 2002 Golf TDI stuck in 1st gear until the engine warmed up.
VW Service center tested the transmission and told me that the gear is "slipping" and requires a complete overhaul - cost over $3000!
This is more than the price of the car and meant I'd have to scrap it.
After finding and reading this thread, I understood that there's a very good chance it's the N92. Tested by driving downhill and revving up till it changed into 4th. I then had a the N92 replaced for about $300.
My car has been running great for the last week :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Jetta TDI 260k Trip 09A

Read this tread and have ordered full solenoid kit ,fluid and got a game plan set. Thanks for all the info about cold shifting.
Sounds like it will work,,... my other problem:
Month ago the manual tip +- shift stopped working still have not figured that out yet. Checked some of the wiring and shift lever area only one flat magnet on this model from what I can see.
* not related to shifting I am sure.. last week Replaced/rebuilt Brake Parts calipers, hoses etc from pedal back ( bleeding brakes How fun), Checked all vacuum hoses to everything, Can sensor,O2 sensor, runs great , VAG looks good except.
* It started not shift out of first for 5 mins warm up a week after all that work( Now what), shifts very nice after warm..
2 Faults Found:
00652 - Gear Monitoring 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01045 - Tiptronic Switch (F189) 27-00 - Implausible Signal
I have changed the tranny fluid every two years since owned plus 2 ounces.

Question is :
Will Solenoid replacement also fix Tip+- manual shifting as well if anyone knows the layout of one magnet?:confused:
Not sure what the Tip+- is connected to< other sensors or what?

221 - 232 of 232 Posts