VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying a 2002 4motion v6 wagon with 85k on it. First of all is 7500 a decent price? Secondly, what are the common problems I should be looking for on this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
At 85k, if the timing belt/water pump service hasn't been done, go ahead and shell out another grand to have that done. Otherwise, not too many problems with those. I had an 01 4 motion and it was a overall pretty good car. I would say $7500 sounds a little high to me.......

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for it :)

Other than that , timing belt + WP and you should be all set for another 75K without issues.
:D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorting Out the Price...

Easy for somebody to say "costs too much" or "it's a steal," without giving it too much thought. Opinions like that are worth what you paid for. (No digs at fellow Vortexers intended here. None of us is likely to have seen the car, so it's hard to give a good answer.)

There are lots of variables you should think about. Some places are more expensive than others--think "big city prices." Condition matters a lot. Was the car garaged? Is there rust? Did the inside ever get soaked? (B5s have three common faults that lead to water intrusion: pollen filter (recall or TSB), window glass pins (recall or TSB), sunroof drains (recall or TSB).) If the car you are looking at got wet this (or any other) way, it could be a problem. If it did not, that's a real plus--though you'll still have to keep a watch on these things.

I've got two manual B5.5 wagons. One's a 2003 2WD 1.8T I bought this year w/58K. The other is a 2004 4Motion 1.8T w/83K. The 4M was more expensive and it needed brakes. But 4M isn't a DIY add on (except for the hard-core, price is no object expert). 4M is really nice to have, so the extra cost was well worth it to me and the 2WD may be headed to a new owner, even though I love it.

Buying used is tough, especially as far as maintenance is concerned. Well-maintained, dealer-serviced, one-owner cars are ideal. My 4M came to me that way via dealer trade--though they use that history to their advantage. My 2WD wasn't so clean, though. It was originally purchased locally. It was later turned in to the same dealer and was resold as CPO. I then picked it up via Craig's list. I was able to get much of the history from the original dealer. All that makes being the third owner less scary, but the POs still make choices you might not make.

Reality is that used cars simply are where they are in terms of the maintenance cycle, not where you wish them to be. Awesome if the timing belt/water pump, etc has been done recently. Fresh suspension links would be killer. But be realistic--plenty of cars get traded in precisely because they're coming due for expensive maintenance/service.

Want to avoid all the hassles? Get a new car. The folks who traded in my 4M did exactly that. They're in a 2012 TDI JSW--and, though I'm happy with the 4M, I can understand why they moved on. The TDI rocks and, for the next 3Y/36K, service bills should be non-existant. But they've got a car payment, too. I've got the uncertainty of an older car, but for the moment it's great to have 4WD in something that's really fun to drive.

So is $7.5K too much for "your" car? I don't know--sounds close based on features/mileage, but cars two or three years newer can be had for about that price--or less.

You should check NADA for pricing--my bank wouldn't loan anything over the NADA value (and NADA tends to be lower than the often tough to decipher KBB "price"). I negotiated with a dealer based on the NADA limitation. (I consider that successful since it lowered the price on a reasonably desirable car.) Condition is a big factor, as well as maintenance. Given the year, it ought to be super clean and well maintained for the price. If it's just average and has service history gaps (or concerns), I'd be looking to shave about $1K from the price, since the need for service will come along eventually. Good luck in negotiating a better price, though. 4WD is a real plus this time of year, and that may limit what the seller is willing to do.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Glad i found this thread good info but as far as teh priceing goes i have no idea where you guys would get 7500 is too high. Im in VA and any GLX 4 motion car 2002-2004 is going to START around 7k. 8500 is going to be about average for 70k and great condition interior.

I haven't seen any 4 motion wagons anywhere close to 5k. I see base model 1.8t FWD wagons with hubcaps and 70k on them for that. Post up some of those 5-6k 4 motions so i can check a few out.

This is about the average posting i see for any B5.5 GLX wagon. (this one happens to be FWD not 4 motion)
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2701463878.html

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Glad i found this thread good info but as far as teh priceing goes i have no idea where you guys would get 7500 is too high. Im in VA and any GLX 4 motion car 2002-2004 is going to START around 7k. 8500 is going to be about average for 70k and great condition interior.

I haven't seen any 4 motion wagons anywhere close to 5k. I see base model 1.8t FWD wagons with hubcaps and 70k on them for that. Post up some of those 5-6k 4 motions so i can check a few out.

This is about the average posting i see for any B5.5 GLX wagon. (this one happens to be FWD not 4 motion)
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2701463878.html
No idea why they would be priced so much higher in your area.... I bought my 2001 GLX 4mo wagon for $5200 Canadian. Which is less than $5K U.S. Granted it had about 110,000 miles on it.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
I just want to add that my Passat (see my signature) was being offered in the spring for 7500$ with 180,000 KM. I paid 6000$ --- note - this is Canadian ---

I ended up spending about 1200$ so far in repairs.

PCV problem (chased this all summer) biggest expense. 600+
Hood strut blown 60$
Various parts that had fallen off.

Car was in v.Good condition considering where I live and the age. I feel I paid the right price.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah the pricing for the tidewater area of VA seems high. if i look on either craigslist or autotrader and get about 3 hours away in any direction it would seem the cars do go down about 500-1000 on average.

which sucks. but holy bannanas id drive 5 hours if i could snag a nice 70-80k 4mo Wagon for 5k. Id be there will bells on dude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.