VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys here is the scoop with the 02 CD/Cassette Double Din Monsoon systems in Jettas and Golfs. My dealer called me one morning because I have a pretty good relationship with one of the service guys. He said that his Body Shop Manager just got his 02 Jetta and also said that the Monsoon sucks, no highs, no bass, muffled sound and right side is louder. So... just that day the VW Tech from VW HQ was in at the dealer visiting, the service guy told me to bring it in, because the VW Tech said that he has a company car Passat that sounded really bad listening to radio stations and that all that was needed to be done is have the VAG 1551 hooked up and reprogram the radio with the correct codes to fix the problem. Welp, it works great in his Passat I heard it myself - the tuner sounds like a CD, BUT after trying 3 radios and 2 amps from other Monsoon Jetta cars the VW Tech was stumped!!! He told me himself that the radio sounds really bad and it should not sound that way. He said that it seems like a programming error in the Radios and that he would file it with VW once he got back. He literally sat in my car for almost 2 hours screwing around with the different codes for my radio thru the VAG and was just plain stumped. He said that obviously there is a problem and once VW has an update he would contact me personally. I really never say a "Manufacture Tech" so dedicated on fixing a problem and actually putting effort into investigating it! I'm glad that someone from VW actually knows about it now. I really hope that they come out with a software patch to fix the problem so I don't have to go out and buy an aftermarket radio.
I'll keep you guys posted with any more info!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (vw2.0gti)

I think that we all should make a call to VW and put in a complaint about the 2002 Monsoon Radio too, that could speed things up for a fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Agreed! The '02s that I test drove had the old HU in them and sounded fine. Of course, when my car showed up, it had the new HU. Thought that would have been a good thing.
Should have saved my money and done it right... done it myself! Thx for the info and let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (Farhvergnugen)

Just got off the phone with the dealer service advisor. They will be pulling in the body shop managers 02 Jetta and trying several different software codes on the radio. He will call me back sometime this week with the answer on a fix.

·
Registered
978 Posts

This thread MUST be kept active... the double din is seriously messed up. I know because I had the single just two months ago.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (scr2000)

ATTN DOUBLE DIN OWNERS:
PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH THE SUBJECT "VW DOUBLE-DIN"
I WOULD LIKE TO START COLLECTING NAMES AND EMAIL ADDRESSES. I WILL THEN SUBMIT THESE DIRECTLY TO VOLKSWAGEN. IF YOU WANT IT FIXED, PLEASE EMAIL ME, THE SOONER WE GET THIS LIST TOGETHER, THE SOONER THE RADIO WILL PROBABLY BE FIXED.
EMAIL ME AT: [email protected]
THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

just get an aftermarket deck. it is so worth the money. It will make your stereo sound better than the monsoon deck will ever be able to

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (GTI_FEVER)

CAN'T PUT IN AN AFTERMARKET DECK IN THE DOUBLE-DIN CONFIG WITHOUT RUNNING EXTENSIVE NEW WIRING. THEY RUN A CAN-BUS CONNECTION, THAT MEANS, NO POWER LEAD, NO POWER-ON LEAD, NO DIMMING. IT IS ALL CONTROLLED BY TWO WIRES COMING FROM THE ECU. A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE PAID $300+ DOLLARS FOR THIS OPTION AND IT SHOULD BE FIXED AND WORKING CORRECTLY WITHOUT BUYING SOMETHING ELSE!

·
Registered
444 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]just get an aftermarket deck. it is so worth the money. It will make your stereo sound better than the monsoon deck will ever be able to[HR][/HR]​
true dat...but personally i don't have the $ to spend on an aftermarket HU. plus if we all resorted to buying aftermarket HUs we let The Man trump us and that isn't right
so, on with the mission! everyone who is disappointed with their monsoon, sign up on the email list (see a few posts above this one) and let's get VW to take some action!

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

The 01' Monsoon Radios sucked too if you didn't alerady know. Don't leave it to a car dealer to build a better radio. Swap your deack and leave the factory speakers. My system POUNDS with factory monsoon speakers and a Pioneer Premier deck. I still LOVE my 1.8t anyways!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (evilpat)

I don't know about the '01 Monsoons, but I KNOW FOR A FACT that the 2000 single din Monsoon set-up I had sounded MUCH better than this 2002 Double din I have now. It was good enough that I didn't feel the need to go aftermarket, now with the double-din I feel I do need to. That ****e aint right!!!

vw2.0gti,
You have an email!

I hope this can be dealt with.

[Modified by scr2000, 9:28 PM 3-4-2002]

·
Registered
125 Posts

ttt - keeping it alive, I really want this fixed!
vw2.0gti - you've got mail!
quote:[HR][/HR]This thread MUST be kept active... the double din is seriously messed up. I know because I had the single just two months ago.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
27 Posts

DUDE, I WAS TOLD THAT AN AFTERMARKET DECK PREVENTS THEIR DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTERS FROM WORKING PROPERLY WHEN YOUR CAR IS IN FOR SERVICE OR REPAIRS, AND IF YOU OWN A 2.0, YOU KNOW THAT'S QUITE OFTEN!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (JUANCA"ELPAPI")

ttt
vw2.0gti, how many people have e-mailed you thus far?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (hjohns)

So far 11 people...
now I know that there are many more of you out there.. please email me so I can make a case to VW.

·
Registered
62 Posts

same thing here scr2000, i had a 2000 jetta with the single and monsoon, and it sounded great. i have a 2002 jetta with the double and monsoon AND BAZOOKA TUBE 8" powered, and it still sounds muffled. it is louder than my 2000, but not the way it should be. i did not get the bazooka tube with the 2000 because i liked the way it sounded stock...

·
Registered
791 Posts

Well, I recant my previous post where I thought nothing was wrong with my DD Monsoon...I did the balance to left and then fade to rear test and the system cracks like crazy....looks like it needs to be fixed...

[Modified by Ken1.8T, 11:22 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
89 Posts

My 02 Monsoon, is working fine so far. I am by no means an audiophile. But I have listened to aftermarket headunits that did sound better. But most of those people have more than $300 invested in their systems.

·
Registered
359 Posts

My 02 Monsoon system sucks and you can hear a noticeable difference on the right. I hope VW fixes this.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: 02 D-Din Monsoon Dealer, VW tech trip Outcome (Ken1.8T)

Before ANY of you and I mean ANY of you say that the 2002 Double Din is good you have to hear the single din. You have to compare apples with apples, remember?
The double din BLOWS compared to the single dins, and if this can be solved with software or a recall then by all means we should pursue this.

[Modified by scr2000, 8:57 PM 3-5-2002]

1 - 20 of 1051 Posts