VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need to replace my passenger side cv axle tomorrow and I need to know what year the 020 2y 16v tranny came on?Also I know that I have 100mm axles but what diameter is the inside of the axle that bolts to the trans. flange?I need to order one today but not positive on which one to buy.Thanks and I searched as well.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Re: 020 2y trans. ?'s (jetmk2)

2Y and AGB trannies both came on 16v engines from 87-92. you need 100m driveshafts. the 100mm IS the diameter of the inner CV joint where it bolts to the tranny flange http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 020 2y trans. ?'s (mk2dubbin)

They asked me for an outboard number or something.Like 3.9 or 4.Something to that affect.Thanx.I know that 100mm was the inside but need to know what the other number is.The guy at the parts store said they'res two diff. numbers.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts

if they're asking you for those numbers, they dont know what you're talking about, and they dont know what they're talking about.
90mm and 100mm drive flanges are all that came on 020 trannys, and they are direct swaps with one another.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jetmk2 »
They asked me for an outboard number or something.Like 3.9 or 4.Something to that affect.Thanx.I know that 100mm was the inside but need to know what the other number is.The guy at the parts store said they'res two diff. numbers.

yea they are asking you that because 3.54"=90mm & 3.94"=100mm. they all ask that because the computers show diameters in inches. tell them you need the bigger diameter of the two. 100mm is the outside diameter of the cv joint, and 100mm is also the inner diameter of the tranny cup.
youre basically telling them what they need to know but they dont realize it. been there - done that many times when buying axles. make sure it looks right at the store because ive had them still mess it up.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 020 2y trans. ?'s (mk2dubbin)

Alright thanks alot guys. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I just ordered the cv axle and asked if they could get the gaskets which I had on my old tranny that go between the tranny and axle.He said I didn't need them but too order the output shaft cause people usually replace them cause they get worn.Don't I need gaskets between the tranny and cv axle?Also is the output shafts easy to replace?Thanks.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Sounds like the parts place you are dealing with doesn't have much experience with VW's.
You shouldn't need to change the drive flanges. Those basically last forever on our cars. You might want to get new bolts for the inner CV joints. Those heads can strip out and re-using them will put them back in a weakened state so they are even more likely to strip out the next time. I generally treat them as "use once" bolts.
And you need the correct triple-square key (12 point allen wrench) to remove the inner CV bolts. Trying to use a 6 point is almost a guaranteed way to strip the heads out. Also, clean out the heads thoroughly before you put the wrench in, and make sure you get the wrench all the way to the bottom of the holes.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 020 2y trans. ?'s (Racer_X)

I've done this already when I installed my motor.When I sapped out my struts I ripped the boot though.
So I already have the 12pt. hex and 30mm socket for the hub nut.Don't I need a new gasket between the flange and axle though?Thanks.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Pred)

So just bolt it to the flange with NOTHING in between?Doesn't need anything?Thanks.I just ask this cause my old tranny had rubber gaskets.Thanx. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts