VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Haven’t gotten this car running yet. Old starter was smoking so I assumed it was busted. Replace starter, bushing, battery cables and it STILL clicks and the connection on the positive solenoid terminal (upper) gets red hot and/or smokes.
I’ve tried jumping it with mixed results. I can get it to engage (or click) if I cross the positive and the 50a, or spin if I cross the positive to the starter housing, but can’t make it do both. Turning the key seems to replicate crossing positive to 50a, click, no spin and solenoid terminal hot/smoking. I will attach a photo below but note that the not everything is connected in the photo.
I have a 16v 1.8L with a 9A trans that was swapped by a rebuild shop before they closed. It was never complete and was sold to the previous owner who just sat on it.
The starter is such a simple circuit I feel like the problem has to be right under my nose!!
Any help would be great I’m stumped!!
I’ve check all the wiring and everything matches up with the Bentley diagram for scirocco 16v which does not run a 9A.
I have also turned it over manually and the flywheel isn’t seized or anything like that.

Jumpstart results:

·
Registered
18,538 Posts
I was plagued with this problem for quite a while, and went though 3 starters before I figured out that my ground cable was loose where it attached to the engine. It was trying to ground though one of the tiny black wires, causing them to melt behind the battery. Check your ground cable too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was plagued with this problem for quite a while, and went though 3 starters before I figured out that my ground cable was loose where it attached to the engine. It was trying to ground though one of the tiny black wires, causing them to melt behind the battery. Check your ground cable too!
Thanks! I’ve redone the connection to the body under the air box but I did not check the ground strap to the engine. I’ll try today and post an update.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,483 Posts
Do that.

And, I'll ask what everyone missed - what the hell is that extra cable that's attached to the output terminal on the starter solenoid?
There should be only one thing on that stud - the wee short cable that leads into the starter motor itself. Nothing else.

That wouldn't be, oh, the engine ground cable, would it?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I just noticed that too.

If it was the battery positive, the starter would spin [not engage] until something burned up.

Either way, something to check out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys!
YES I had created a huge short based on what the previous owner had set up.... The engine ground strap had been run to the starter... Like I said the car has never run its engine swap and the previous owner just sat on it/did some stupid things. It had been on there for so long it looked original!! The nut was seized on so that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it!!
Thanks everyone for the help thumbs up sound

1 - 9 of 9 Posts