VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 5-speed 020- gearbox on the table and it has a worn F-201764 / 020.311.375 type of bearing. This bearing cant be found anywhere and I found a single post saying that this bearing has no real use in the box. So, can I safely just put the box together without this bearing in place, TIA.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

· Registered
10,706 Posts
You may need to give us some more information. What transmission is this out of? Where is this bearing located?

I've had many 020 transmission apart and I have never recalled seeing that type of bearing.

· Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
2,043 Posts
You may need to give us some more information. What transmission is this out of? Where is this bearing located?

I've had many 020 transmission apart and I have never recalled seeing that type of bearing.
Yeah I don't recognize that part either I wasn't able to find it in any parts diagrams but i could have missed it

· Registered
1982 VW Scirocco 2.0 16V
482 Posts
My guess is that it came out of the 5th gear housing, the one that is held in with a torx head screw (part number 32C in the diagram Darepoole posted). I did read that on later boxes those bearings were deleted. If that is the bearing you are referring to, then the output shaft is supported as it goes through the middle housing just on the other side of the fifth gear so I can't image that bearing like an inch later in the 5th gear case is doing much. I think you could get away without it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is that it came out of the 5th gear housing, the one that is held in with a torx head screw (part number 32C in the diagram Darepoole posted). I did read that on later boxes those bearings were deleted. If that is the bearing you are referring to, then the output shaft is supported as it goes through the middle housing just on the other side of the fifth gear so I can't image that bearing like an inch later in the 5th gear case is doing much. I think you could get away without it.

Yes, thanks. The bearing is from 5th gear housing, held in with the torx screw. Transmission is from -89 Vw Golf cabriolet.

· Registered
10,706 Posts
I suggest that you look into a Bentley and see what they say in the manual transmission portion. I'm too lazy to look in mine but I swear that bearing was pitched because they thought it did not need to be used. It could have been pitched and came up with a different housing/shaft combination.

· Registered
1982 VW Scirocco 2.0 16V
482 Posts
Here is a post where Broke of brokevw.com says to not use the bearing if it is damaged. He is very knowledgeable on the 020 transmission so if he said it, I would definitely trust it.

· Registered
10,706 Posts
Thanks for the searching and the update. I thought there was something like that but I certainly do not have time to search. It does seem overly engineered. Is there that much load that the shaft would bend and therefore needs to be supported? I would think not, but then again, I don't design transmissions.

Sounds like you got traction again so the project is moving again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts