VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an FN in the Jetta. Not sure of the problem Yet but I've gotten this periodic sulfer smell in the car (Thought I passes some serious gas), but I'm thinking it more like the smell of Gear oil. Gear box is wet on the bottom but not enough to form puddles.
Question is is the SM syndrome instantaneous or is it gradual. Also is the FN prone to this too?

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: 020 self-machining (fwdvw)

symptoms are usually instant
but can be gradual
applies to pretty much all 020s

·
Registered
280 Posts

instantly, sometimes the seals can go bad and leak onto the exhaust giving you the funky smell. Whining at highway speeds from the tranny are one symptom, but when they go, it's boom, actually more impressive then when the motor has blown in my friend's rig.....

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 020 self-machining (Vedubauman)

Well, judging from the picture I am getting more confident it's the seal. If it is leaking, it's definately coming from within the bell housing somewhere. It drips between the block and the tranny. Thanks for the info http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Guess I won't know til I drop the tranny

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

had a VERY similar sympton to yours, Rodney
blown Pushrod Seal
so
i swapped a new motor (with new rear main) and a new tranny (with new pushrod seal)

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 020 self-machining (PDX Cabby)

Quote, originally posted by PDX Cabby »
had a VERY similar sympton to yours, Rodney
blown Pushrod Seal so
i swapped a new motor (with new rear main) and a new tranny (with new pushrod seal)

I'm hoping so

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Re: 020 self-machining (Diamond Dave)

Quote, originally posted by Diamond Dave »
Only the close ratio 020 boxes were prone to SMS. 2y, 4k, etc.
My 4k has gone 203K without the problem.

Tell that to the 3 blown long ratio trannies sitting on my garage floor

It happens to all the 020's

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Re: 020 self-machining (Kaddy)

Quote, originally posted by Kaddy »
Tell that to the 3 blown long ratio trannies sitting on my garage floor

It happens to all the 020's

not all i have 190k on my 4k and no problems so far....i do belive that when i got my transmission rebuilt at 150k they installed all the right fixes...or so i was told that it was done..
so far i have no problems though.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

All of the ones I have broken seem to crack or pop a hole in the case inside the bellhousing. I think because maybe the rivets were gradually letting go and the ring gear was slowly chewing it's way through the case.
Both of mine were first noticed when the clutch went up into a ball of smoke, IE lots of gear oil into the bellhousing, the first one I had no idea until I pulled the tranny to do a clutch, the second one made a sort of crunch sound then almost no clutch.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 020 self-machining (white rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by white rabbit »
....IE lots of gear oil into the bellhousing, the first one I had no idea until I pulled the tranny to do a clutch.......

This one might also be me

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

Quote »
Only the close ratio 020 boxes were prone to SMS. 2y, 4k, etc.
My 4k has gone 203K without the problem.

why would you say that??

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Re: 020 self-machining (The_Hamster)

Their was a big write up about the self machining 020 trannies a number of years ago in VW&Porsche. And for the life of me I can't find that issue. What vw had done was they quit using circlips on the differential pinion shaft and the put metal cups on two of the rivits that hold the ring gear on to keep the pinion shaft from moving. Well the pinion shaft would wear through the rivited on cups and slowly machine through the bellhousing and then the oil would leak out. IIRC it would eat through the inside of the bellhousing first and oil would leak into where the clutch was but it has been many years since I read the article so I am not sure. Both of my 4K trannies were affected in the list that VW&P had provided and I put in the circlips and my 120,000 mile (at the time) 4k was getting ready to start machining so I caught it in time. My brothers plain jane 85 Jetta also needed the circlips and it was a wide ratio box. It was a certain production time that vw used this poor judgement and mostly the close ratio trannies were affected but some wide ratio's were in there as well. If someone rembers this issue of VW&P and has it post the month and year please. And if I have any of my facts wrong post that also and where you got the info from. I am slowly getting all of my tech articles and hop up articles from past vw&p magazines into one single book that I am making for reference.

Modified by GTIZRX at 5:18 AM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
319 Posts
couple of questions....
i've smelled a lot of gear lube in my day
and i've never equated it to sulfur. i have smelled sulfur coming out of the tailpipe of a couple cars i've owned though.... anyone else agree?
maybe change your trans fluid out and see if the smell is the same?
which brings me to the second question.... wouldn't it be quick and easy to check and see if there is a pile of metal shavings in the fluid to see if the trans is killing itself softly with its own song?
i'm starting to wonder if my own trans is starting to sink too. shifting the last week or so has become very difficult, especially when cold. does better once its warmed up, but still a few lingering problems. i was also thinking it could be caused by bad motor mounts or worn bushing in the shifter mechanism too. anyone have advice on this? i was just gonna change the fluid out and check for shavings.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: ('84GTI-Spence)

Ah! VW&Porsche, the good old days when that Mag was worth buying http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
THe tranny fluid change is a very good Idea. That slipped my mind. Probably do that this weekend.

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: (fwdvw)

Quote, originally posted by fwdvw »
Ah! VW&Porsche, the good old days when that Mag was worth buying http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
THe tranny fluid change is a very good Idea. That slipped my mind. Probably do that this weekend.

I still have all my copies I think I'll scan them and Put the up on a web site one of these days

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Re: (Nason)

My tranny leaves a small puddle of tranny fluid on the ground, in between the motor and the tranny

i don't know what to do

PLEASE HELP

1 - 20 of 30 Posts