VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got 0.020 inch play axially on my late 02m I can't find the specs for the late o2m. In the manual I believe the specs I'm seeing are for the early version which had tapered roller bearing. If it's out of spec what need to be done to correct this ?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I got 0.020 inch play axially on my late 02m I can't find the specs for the late o2m. In the manual I believe the specs I'm seeing are for the early version which had tapered roller bearing. If it's out of spec what need to be done to correct this ?
madonion

Check your gearbox manufacturing date. According to VW, if you have a box that is 07.03 or newer, the drive shaft should have a firm/loose bearing which cannot be adjusted (via c-clips)
If, however, you have a box that goes up to the 06.03 date then I have some specs for you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's 03 with 7 small dots so I guess that's 07/03. I'm pretty sure 0.020 is to much play I've seen some people mentioning they though part 6 and 7 was missing in there transmission and they added them. I'm thinking adding one of those might solve my issue but I don't know if the shaft should be pushed in or out of the transmission to be within specs so that's my biggest issue.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'm in the same boat with an 02m although I'm pretty sure I have a 04 case.

What is part 6 & 7 you mention?

I believe the input shaft bearing should be pushed to the outside of the case so that the bearing lip is directly against the inside of the case. I have the gearbox apart on my bench right now and have been thinking about adding a shim/thrust washer to take up the 'slack'. As I see it now, I would plan on adding a shim to inside of the bell housing (red circle below). Also, there have been some people who reported the input shaft bearing race spinning within the housing and had to have the case machined out and have a sleeve pressed in so that the bearing has an interference fit again. Since my bearing fits snugly (..not tight) in the case I was thinking about modifying the case and input shaft bearing race to accept a set screw to prevent the input shaft bearing race from ever spinning and potentially doing damage to the case.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...0000A8C916B5FD1_zpsdc0526f4-1_zps1801e73b.jpg

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
it looks like I forgot to send the diagram with my previous post http://zelek.com/diagram02M-11.htm#12th I got the link from http://forums.subdriven.com/showthr...-speed-tranny-rebuild.-PICS-INSIDE&p=79373290

I think putting a spacer behind the circlip of the 72mm ball bearing would have the same effect. I'm still wondering if I should out the spacer on the inside part or the outside part of the trans. the spacer sold by vw are 0.65mm I have 0.5mm play.

I changed the ball bearing at the end of the shaft but I still have the same play. Some mention they have to heat the case in order to fit the case over the bearing that wasn't the case for me. It's not that tight but it's not loose at all.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I like the idea because it will remove the play - but one thing that comes to mind with putting the spacer on the BB side is that the gears seem to be offset slightly (minimal, but noticeable) when doing that. The gear faces won't have full contact (input vs output shafts) and some of the clearances are close with other gears on the output stacks. I believe putting a shim/thrust washer on the bell housing side of the input shaft will ensure that the gear faces are making 100% contact with one another, this also buys some clearance on the output shafts and the lip on the BB will make full contact with the case.

I will try to get some photos this evening showing the different scenarios. :beer:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Here are the photo's I was talking about earlier. Each photo in the left frame is 'shimmed at the bell housing input shaft side' and each photo in the right frame is 'non-shimmed at the bell housing input shaft side' and that's most likely how it would look if you shimmed the BB with #6 & #7.

The shimmed version (I had a couple junk washers laying around that worked okay for demonstration purposes) seems to work very well and there is no input shaft play when I close the case up. I'll have to get a more precise reading with a dial indicator before actually moving forward with this.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...13B7D9CE-301-00000010E6CAEE6E_zps6d886248.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...DB339347-301-00000010EE063F9F_zps001be182.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...C01FECD0-301-00000010F2B9D91C_zpsea335397.jpg

Thoughts?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thoses washer are huge. Washer number 6 would push the gears toward each other and number 7 would pull the gears apart. The problem is to find which way the shaft as drifted from it's original position. The washers sold by VW have 0.65 mm thickness and my play is 0,50mm so I would need to get one of those washer machined if that's even possible. How much play do you have ? I don't understand why there isn't specs for this.

Do you see any signs of wear on the inside or outside of the case where the ball bearing meet the case ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think I found the way to fix mine. I believe most of the play I have comes from the cir clip machining it self slowly into the case as the outside of the bearing turns. The way I think I'm going to fix it is to get the spacer 7 from VW I'll have to bring the case to a machine shop and get them to remove some aluminum from the case and replace the lost material with the metal washer which as a diameter of 78mm and a height of 0,65mm. The cir clip as machined the surface of 75mm the machinist will have to machine the surface 0,65mm deep and a diameter of 78mm. I'd also like to implement a key in that bearing that would prevent it from rotating I'm trying to find the best way to do this.

I'm thinking I could put a hole in the trans casing thread it and a bolt would secure the bearing by putting some pressure on it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think I found the way to fix mine. I believe most of the play I have comes from the cir clip machining it self slowly into the case as the outside of the bearing turns. The way I think I'm going to fix it is to get the spacer 7 from VW I'll have to bring the case to a machine shop and get them to remove some aluminum from the case and replace the lost material with the metal washer which as a diameter of 78mm and a height of 0,65mm. The cir clip as machined the surface of 75mm the machinist will have to machine the surface 0,65mm deep and a diameter of 78mm. I'd also like to implement a key in that bearing that would prevent it from rotating I'm trying to find the best way to do this.

I'm thinking I could put a hole in the trans casing thread it and a bolt would secure the bearing by putting some pressure on it.
What about using a bearing compound to secure the bearing? I believe Loctite 609 should be sufficient to use in this environment.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It could be a good idea I've never worked with 609. Is there a chance it will wash away in the oil ?
Not at all. It's resistant to oils, gasoline, acetone, brake fluid, and ethanol.

I have used 609 in the past to re-assemble leaking mtb magnesium fork lowers due to poor interference fit. If I cleaned and prepped the area properly and let the assembly cure before using it, I haven't had any forks come back for the same problem.

Here's the TDS if you want to see it: https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/3E906D6B842166B0882571870000D855/$File/609-EN.pdf

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
After some tinkering in the garage, my assumptions with shimming the input shaft inside of the bell-housing won't matter because I forgot about the c-clip holding the BB on the case end - so please disregard my previous statements. :p

I'm pretty certain the method of using the shims at the BB end is the best way to resolve the back and forth play on the input shaft.:thumbup:

I took some better measurements this morning:
-BB lip to the c-clip is 15.30mm.

-BB seat measured 14.20mm (I had to use a screw and bolt to get this measurement since the calipers were too big)

...I have about 1.1mm of play and looks like I have wear on both sides of the case from the BB lip and the c-clip.

#6 [WHT002050] - Inside of case, sandwiched between BB lip and case (72x84,85x0,65)
#7 [WHT001976] - Outside of case, sandwiched between case and c-clip (72x78,6x0,65)

I might order one #6 and two #7 to play around with different adjustments. Since each shim is .65mm I will need to figure out how to shave off .2mm either from the case or one of the shims.

Also, I played around with a broken 02M case today I had laying around. Tested drilling/tapping a hole for a 6mmx1.00 set screw and it went pretty well. I will have to look into putting a flat spot on an old bearing and see how well it holds.

I didn't have a set screw laying around so I used a 6mmx1.00 bolt.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's exactly what I had in mind for the bolt holding the bearing. The issue you will have with the washers is that they will overcompensate if the surface is not ground flat equally. The wear spots are a smaller diameter than the washers themselves.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well I've opened my case again and also took some measurements. I believe the original lip holding the bearing should be 15.0 mm from the factory. Most of the wear I see is on the inside of the case. On the cir clip side I have a 0.15mm wear on the inside I'm having a hard time measuring the inside but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 0.30mm. I think I'll buy both spacers from vw bring the casing to a machine shop to get it machined to fit the washers in. I'll use 609 when fitting the bearing and spacers and I might also put a bolt like you've done on the side of the bearing. The problem would be resolved for good.

I might use number 7 twice instead of 6 & 7 we'll see.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.