VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Ok So I have another question. I had a Stock clutch on a Four season tuning 16.5 Steel billet Single mass flywheel. I had clutch creep/engagement issues. exact same symptoms the turbo guys were having with their higher rated clutches.

So i go to instlal my supercharger and proceed with my build. I remove my stock 02M with 150 or so K on it and i notice that the shaft in and out play is about 1 inch total. I went and ordered a DRP 02M to replace the stock GQV 02M.

Are these Shims you speak of for the main shaft specific to the GQV boxes ( not having them ) because my gently used DRP main shaft DOES NOT move at all in and out like the GQV did.

I also have a spare 40K 02M GQV and it has minimal shaft play in and out compared to my 150k original trans. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
rstolz didnt comment n the difference models of 02M.... is this problem specific to a GQV becuase my DRP is from a 2003 4motion Golf ( europe ) my 2004 R32 has a GQV from a newer car with the problem.

its good info and i appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
it gets tricky when talking trans models and car models, and I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of the 02M to comment accurately.

I will say this though:
The first year for a GQV may be be from 2002, where the first year for a DRP may be 2003. So even though YOUR GQV came from a '04 model car, that trans model may be an older version than the DRP. Confusing enough for you?

To find out for sure you'd have to track the release of each 02M trans model, independent of what model and model year car it was used with.
Im not trying to mess with u, JS... the DRP has a different bearing on the main shasft, so internals are slightly different. im just tyring to see if this was the GQV specific. most everyone with the issue uses a GQV, so ill just shutup about it, lol

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
I just did this in my 05" GLI with the 02M 6 speed transmission. Like it was stated above, it took me 15 minutes. Removed drivers side wheel, the inner splash shield, and pulled the black cap off of the side of the transmission. Removed the large outer snap ring, installed shim, and reinstalled snap ring and new cover. Do not reuse the cover. It worked just as advertised. No more clutch creep or hard shifting. Fantastic news. I just ordered 2 more sets of the shim/cover to take care of the same problem on a couple R32's for customers. Parts are around $20 from the dealer.
YAY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.