VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres a quick overview. A week or so ago, I noticed that if I accelerated somewhat aggressively, that the engine would rev up faster than the wheels, and when I let off the gas, the cars speed would remain constant, and the engine would drop about 300-500 rpms as soon as my foot was off the accelerator.
After having three of my friends drive it for a minute or two, they told me my clutch was going, so I ordered a new clutch and flywheel. In the meantime the problem got worse. To the point where the clutch almost always slipped when I accelerated (even a super conservative acceleration).
On a drive into Orlando, to ask my Girlfriends parents for their blessings in marrying her, the problem got to an extreme. At the speed I was going, the engine should have been at about 3k rpms. But to maintain speed, I had to keep it at about 4.5k rpms. Suddenly, the rpms skyrocketed, and when I took my foot off the accelerator, the car lurched a little forward, and I could not maintain any speed. With the car stopped now, I can get it into gear, but I can not get the car to move forward. The clutch feels extremely light to push in as well.
Needless to say, about 1/2 mile later, I was sitting on the side of I-4. My question is: Do you think this is only a clutch issue, or might I have damaged another portion of the car?
P.S. I know I was an idiot for driving the car to Orlando, but I figured I would make it.

Modified by JettaJeff325 at 1:44 PM 11-25-2008

Modified by JettaJeff325 at 1:45 PM 11-25-2008

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta 1.8T Clutch died. Quick question (JettaJeff325)

now this would depend on how many miles u have... i am no pro at this but my car did the same thing and it was the clutch that needed changing. And one thing i am going to suggest to u is if u do a clutch change do not take a short cut...(as i have learned and am still having problems with my bros GST, i drive it these days:laugh:] meaning change the slave, master cylinder altogether. Yes you own a german art and it is going to be a bit pricy. Also make sure ur clutch is not leaking. hope this helps. (this happened to 2 of my cars, and i still didnt learn it yet
)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car has about 50k on it. I bought it used @ 25k. Usually I don't drive too aggressively, but from time to time, I will do a quick start or a hard shift.
I was only planning on replacing the flywheel, pressure plates and clutch disc... Bad idea?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: (JettaJeff325)

I would suggest to do everything...altogether. It just becomes a hassle afterwards. to me it did cuz i was going to shop every week trying to figure out what is going on. But make sure if you do change slave cylinder then also change master cylinder and vise versa. Or else the other fails shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts