VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I recently bought a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and I have a steering issue. I find that the steering is 'loose'. I really don't know how to explain it...I have new tires and had an alignment done but I find that the car drfts and I constantly have to keep the car going straight. The car just broke 60,000kms and is pretty much new and still under warranty.
I read that steering settings can be adjusted so that it is more stiff/firm but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing. Any tips or suggestions? I don't know much about cars but I have owned many and it just does not feel right. Any info would be helpful so I don't sound like a moron if I visit the VW dealer. (I have the Sport package if that helps...).
Thanks a lot,
Dan

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta 1.8T Steering Issue (djover)

Quote, originally posted by djover »
I have new tires and had an alignment done but I find that the car drifts and I constantly have to keep the car going straight.

Did you get to see the before and after setting of the alignment to your suspension?
Because if you're drifiting, it's not the steering; the steering rack will keep the car really straight.
Either you've got something bent on the suspension (front or rear), the alignment isn't spot on, or the tires are still wearing in for a correct wear pattern.
I read that steering settings can be adjusted so that it is more stiff/firm but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Where did you read that?
There's no knob or dial to "change" the firmness of the OEM steering rack.
- Erik

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 03 Jetta 1.8T Steering Issue (bluefox280)

I read about steering setting adjustment on another post but it was related to a 2006 Jetta...
"OK, here is what I think I know. The Jetta has electric/electronic steering. It is very responsive and accurate. So, VW designed an electronic system to compensate for crosswinds, road crown and the like. It seemed like a good idea, to reduce driver load such as constantly holding a slight pressure on the steering wheel.
Too bad it is so sensitive. It will over compensate for the road crown or wind (such as passing a truck). My car was unsafe. I am a trained, experienced race car driver and it took all my concentration to drive my car straight.
So, with the advice from this forum, I found a guy with the Vag-Com hookup cable and laptop. He adjusted my steering setting from an initial "3" to a "1".
Anyway, after driving many Jetta, I have discovered that no 2 have the same sensitivity. Some cars wander and some are rock solid.
Really does not matter much as it is easy to adjust the problem away.
Some here will say that you are adjusting the steering effort. But that is not true. You are adjusting the steering compensation setting. If you set it to "0", the car will not be any stiffer steering, it just won't have any electronic compensation for crosswinds and the like.
Whatever your initial setting is, try 2 numbers lower. A change of only 1 is difficult to impossible to discern."

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta 1.8T Steering Issue (djover)

I read about steering setting adjustment on another post but it was related to a 2006 Jetta...

The MK5 is different to the MK4 platform.
- Erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.