VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's what i've got:

2003 Jetta 1.8T auto/tiptronic

Floor shifter tracks along the floor gear indications, however the instrument cluster doesn't match what the floor indicator does. For example, shift all the way forward and the floor indicator shows P, the cluster shows R. I have to put the key in, turn 1/4 and shift to "N" on the cluster to start the car. I can shift all the way forward to "R" on the cluster to shut off the car and remove the key.

It is not related to the "magnet" on the top of the shifter. this circuit board is completely unplugged and the symptoms remain. So, what drives the instrument cluster for gear position?

I have watched the you tube video on resetting the cable for a manual transmission, would this apply for an automatic?

Is there a lower magnet that i can't see? Does anyone have an exploded view of the shifter and cable to the transmission and any connections to the instrument cluster?

· Registered
413 Posts
Here's what i've got:

2003 Jetta 1.8T auto/tiptronic

Floor shifter tracks along the floor gear indications, however the instrument cluster doesn't match what the floor indicator does.
Sounds like the multifunction switch is out of adjustment. See the photos of it in the thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1521077 Scroll down, it's the black switch with "3D13" on it. There is a special VW tool to align it, but if you don't have it I guess all you can do is try making some adjustments and see how the cluster changes. Adjustment is by loosening the three hold-down bolts and rotating the switch. Mine was set right when the bolts are about in the center of the slotted holes.

Could be a problem with the selector cable adjustment too I guess.

Good luck, and post how it comes out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.