VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Tiptronic has 80,000 miles on it and I don't know anything about the service record.
I bought the Jetta and drove it 150 miles home and it acted fine, never missed a shift. I let it set for a couple of days and drove it 3 miles and turned around to return... and that's when it happeded !!! It shifted very smoothly from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, it started to shift into 4th and I thought that I had hit a brick wall... it fell back into 1st gear from about 38-40mph, and this happened four or five times
doing the same thing each time. What in the world is going on???? I've read all of your posts and haven't read anything like my problem. Please help me if you can. Pastor Maurice

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (mcnapper)

Never heard of such a problem, sounds like it's time to have the car scanned and report back with the actual numeric error codes. Then we may be able to help out.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mcnapper »
.... it started to shift into 4th and I thought that I had hit a brick wall...

Does this mean you got a bind on on the 3-4 shift that brought your car to a stop or does that mean you got a Harsh jerk on the 3-4?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (CoolAirVw)

No...when I say it downshifted; it downshifted to first when it should have gone into fourth. My wife didn't think much of this happening as she had removed her seatbelt for some reason.
I have discovered that I can place the selector in the 3rd gear position and drive around town without the fear of breaking the tranny. (Where's the fun in that - it's like having a 3 legged race horse)
Pastor "M"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (coolvdub)

I live two hours in any direction from a VW dealer with a certified garage. You guys are the closest thing to help that I have.
Pastor "M"

·
Registered
703 Posts

sounds like solenoid N89 is sticking in the on position.
N89 is on in 1-3 and turns off in 4th. 1st gear uses N92 and N89. 3rd gear uses only N89 and 4th uses only N92 so when the car shifts to 4th, N89 turns off and N92 turns on. If N89 sticks open, you essentially have the same combination as 1st gear.
When you test drove the car, was it already warmed up? There are quite a few problems with sticking solenoids on these transmissions and alot of them seem to go away when the car is warmed up. Try driving it slow, or in Tip mode around the block a few times to warm it up and see if it happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (witecap4u)

If your dealers in TX are anything like the 2 here in Charlotte NC I would not advise of going to the dealership unless you're ready to spend a boat load of cash. Both dealerships here refuse to truley diagnose or repair tranmission issues. From what they are telling us now is that VW only allows them to replace a couple solenoids or replace the complete tranny which is what Im fighting against now. The solenoid replacements cost $700 each time they go in or the complete tranny replacement cost $5000. Ive been round and round with the tech, service advisor, service manager and 2 different customer service reps with VW America and get the same brush off from all of them. VW knows that the 5spd tiptronic tranny has issues with this tranny used in 2002 and 2003 Jettas but refuses to back up their customers with any kind of service help even on trannys still within or just out of their own mileage warranty. Our issues start inside of the 60000 mile mark and now 8 months later sitting at 64000 miles and NO help at all from VW

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (witecap4u)

Quote, originally posted by witecap4u »
sounds like solenoid N89 is sticking in the on position.
N89 is on in 1-3 and turns off in 4th. 1st gear uses N92 and N89. 3rd gear uses only N89 and 4th uses only N92 so when the car shifts to 4th, N89 turns off and N92 turns on. If N89 sticks open, you essentially have the same combination as 1st gear.

Nice call. Makes sense!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks guys for the information. I am going to pass this on to the mechanic who said he would look at the car August 6th. By the way, is this something that a backyard mechanic like myself could do? I don't have great amounts of $$$$. Just asking... if you say no... then I won't even entertain the idea anymore.

Thanks again,
Pastor Maurice

·
Registered
103 Posts

Sounds like it could possibly be the valve body. Something similar like that happened with my 02 jetta at around 60k miles, except it would do it for a while and then it would shift fine for like 5min's and then it would shift harshly again. It could even be the solenoid. I would definitely have it scanned

·
Registered
44 Posts

You could inspect or change this solenoid at home if you are comfortable with lowering the drivers side of the engine with a floor-jack. This is the only way I could get the pan off, and access the screws for the N283 that I changed, trying to fix a 2-3 "flair" problem. I also sent the TCM out for inspection and solder re-flow, plus a fluid change of course.
What finally fixed this '02 Tip was a rebuild by Riverside Transmission in Riverside, CA. They found the common cracked piston, plus the disks were all worn out. $2400.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (turbo510)

This is factory defect on all MK4 tiptronic TCM's (transmission control module) if your module is 09A 927 750 T replace it with 09A 927 750 AJ. The 09A 927 750 T circuit board over heats and shortens out causing constant voltage applied to one or two of the shift solenoids which then just fries solenoids coils and fail. Some of you that replaced solenoid and this have the code is because your 09A 927 750 T is fried!

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Re: 03 Jetta Tiptronic Transmission problem (djeuroalex)

Quote, originally posted by djeuroalex »
This is factory defect on all MK4 tiptronic TCM's (transmission control module) if your module is 09A 927 750 T replace it with 09A 927 750 AJ. The 09A 927 750 T circuit board over heats and shortens out causing constant voltage applied to one or two of the shift solenoids which then just fries solenoids coils and fail. Some of you that replaced solenoid and this have the code is because your 09A 927 750 T is fried!

Is there a TSB for this?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi all, I was just about to buy a used 2002 Jetta 1.8T with the Tiptronic when I found this thread.
Do you recommend staying clear??
Or is this N92 solenoid the solution to these shifting problems when cold issues?
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts