4K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  nikescream 
#1 ·
#'s from Motor Trend 9/02
Hp=469 DIN, 493 (U.S. version)

Tq=516 lb-ft

Weight=4310 lbs

1/4 mile= 12.55@116.10

0-60=4.39

If God drove a convertible, this would be it. He'd hand the keys to his 360 over to Jesus. Curb weight equals that of an average-sized SUV, but it beats the DB7, Z8, and 360 Spider in straight line performance. Its weight shows up as a factor in the twisties, but who the hell cares, did you see the #s above....I'm speechless.

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (haydar)

That car is gorgeous. The SLR is also incredible. Screw BMW and there Bangled monstrosities. Mercedes has their act together. Producing beautiful cars with tons of power is what its about. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for Mercedes.

#8 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (trbogti)

The SL55 is the most awesome car for sale right now. Auto, Motor und Sport did a high speed test at Nardo with an unlimited version and topped out at 325km/h, just short of the Murciélago´s 330km/h. And it beat the Lambo on 0-300km/h. At half the price. They even had to up the hp rating from 476 to 500, because the engines were more powerful than advertised.

#9 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (Eolair)

The hp in the SL55 was increased because the new E55, at far less $$$, was faster. This was mainly due to the SL being so portly with the hard top convert. and all. I believe the E55 will get the original rating of ~474-476hp while the SL gets a more magical sounding 500.
So is God going to ditch this when the new SL600 comes out with the Maybach's 5.5l V12TT?
With so much weight over the front wheels it won't handle nearly as well but who cares? The torque figures and curve will be unholy

What's confusing is wasn't the SLR slated to receive an AMG V8 with possible fi? Granted it will be lighter than the any SL trim with more driver focused dynamics, but won't a twin turbo V12 in the SL rain on it's muscle parade?

#11 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (BananaCo)

No... I would happily "sacrifice" the lack of a manual for this car
I do think this is the best new car of 2002 so far, hands down. I've already seen the SL500's around town (go figure, I'm in ling bling Miami
) and in person they are even more incredible.

#13 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible

quote:[HR][/HR]in before "it sucks becuz it's an automatic" comments
[HR][/HR]​
Damn, someone beat me to it.

Sharpix: Best things about the leather:
Lumbar massager and fully climate controlled (heated and air).
REVLIMIT: The SL600 (if there is one) with the detuned Maybach engine
will make 50 more HP and 14Ft# more torque and the engine will likely
weight more, so I would think that the SL600 would still be second to the
SL55 in the numbers game. The Vision OTOH will get the full-spec Maybach
engine and stomp all over them both.

[Modified by DasRaven, 5:13 PM 8-3-2002]

#15 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (BananaCo)

quote:[HR][/HR]in before "it sucks becuz it's an automatic" comments
[HR][/HR]​
It's actually got paddle shifters behind the wheel. I know I know, not the same as a manual, but Mario Andretti tested the car in Motor Trend and loved it. If it's good enough for him, then dammit it's good enough for me

#17 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (swatch60)

quote:[HR][/HR]Nice ride, change the wheels and make mine black http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Actually the production cars have the same 5-spoke AMG wheels that everything else gets. Is it just me, or is it time for Benz to get a new wheel design?

#19 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (dubberthecow)

I *think* i might have seen one of those last weekend in front of a club with the most amazing blonde steeping out of it. Must be nice.
How do I know if it ws an SL55? Do they make a car that looks exactly like that but not an AMG?

#20 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (2lowA4)

quote:[HR][/HR]How do I know if it ws an SL55? Do they make a car that looks exactly like that but not an AMG?[HR][/HR]​
Yes, the SL500 Sport looks essentially like the SL55......except for side badging on the SL55 and rear mesh insert in the bumper, 4 exhaust tips (vs. 2 for the SL500). You definitely saw an SL500 Sport, because the SL55 hasn't been officially released yet in the States. The ones that are hear now were imported, or belong to Benz corporate.

[Modified by Beltfed, 9:02 PM 8-3-2002]

#23 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (trbogti)

here you go. Spotted on the road 2 weeks ago:

#25 ·
Re: '03 SL55 AMG....God's own convertible. (screwball)

quote:[HR][/HR]what kind of mods can you throw on these badboys?
basic performance upgrades only?[HR][/HR]​
Brabus makes some sick sh*t for these cars, but at the point that you're pushing 500hp, I don't think you need ot worry too much about performance upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.