VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this 04 with only 52k miles online. Seems under fine condition according to the pictures but I am doubting why it wasn’t sold to a VW dealer or something more legit.
Don’t want to deal with any odometer fraud.
Any ideas?
Link to Details
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I didn't buy mine from a dealer. I suppose an electronics shop could hack the odometer and roll it back but they would risk losing their business license.

Since it's part of the KESSY system, you can't just change the instrument cluster to a lower milage one from a junkyard. It has to be matched to the car at the dealer. I don't think a dealer would risk replacing the instrument cluster without setting the mileage to the correct milage. There is a thread on replacing the instrument cluster in the FAQ. As I recall, they can only add mileage, not subtract miles.

My Phaeton had more mileage in 2014 and cost almost as much. $16K is a great price for that low mileage but I don't see the engine. The pictures make it look weird. The left side looks like they used too much wax and buffed it into swirls. The driver's seat looks dirty. The right side looks like there is a problem with the camera. I would have to see it in person. It probably looks better in person.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the v8 that I have when I bought it only had 130k on her got it for 2,500 and I just put new fuel pump replacement and driver side battery and new tires on her and upgraded the head lights to led blue . But in all she runs perfectly like a new car

·
Registered
2005 W12
253 Posts
A VW dealer doesn't make it "more legit". They claim they check them out with their "100 point inspections", they don't, really. Trust me, I used to work a detail shop in high school and some of our bread and butter accounts were high dollar dealers like a Birmingham Audi/Porsche dealer (Birmingham is the high rent district in Metro Detroit area), a Ford dealer, and a Volvo Dealer, the sales guys/buyers of their old used cars would take used cars from customers not checked at all, some were still parked in front with the customer they just bought it from still inside signing papers on their new car...., tell us to come get them to clean them up, we'd drive them to our shop and alot of them would note problems, bring them back and they'd have us park them out front in the sales area and put signs in the window as soon as we got out. You'd say, hey man that transmission is slipping pretty badly, and they say "ok thanks, we'll check it out"..go back the next day to get another car and that one is still out front exactly the way you parked it for sale. They literally don't care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't buy mine from a dealer. I suppose an electronics shop could hack the odometer and roll it back but they would risk losing their business license.

Since it's part of the KESSY system, you can't just change the instrument cluster to a lower milage one from a junkyard. It has to be matched to the car at the dealer. I don't think a dealer would risk replacing the instrument cluster without setting the mileage to the correct milage. There is a thread on replacing the instrument cluster in the FAQ. As I recall, they can only add mileage, not subtract miles.

My Phaeton had more mileage in 2014 and cost almost as much. $16K is a great price for that low mileage but I don't see the engine. The pictures make it look weird. The left side looks like they used too much wax and buffed it into swirls. The driver's seat looks dirty. The right side looks like there is a problem with the camera. I would have to see it in person. It probably looks better in person.

Thank you for your reply, those pictures does make this car look sketchy and that was my main concern. Like you said, hopefully seeing it in person makes difference.

·
Registered
4x W12, 1x V8
1,209 Posts
Could be a legit one but the photos do make it look weird. I've seen this dealer list an Aston Martin before and considering they are in a somewhat well off area of retirees I could see this being a trade-in or consignment sale. Btw, my high miler W12 parts car stems from that same area and is also a Premier Edition model.

·
Registered
2006 W12 Aubergine
15 Posts
I saw the ad & it was not too far from me- 4 hour drive +/-. One owner, dealer serviced, low mileage car. Looks showroom new- Probably garage kept. If I remember correctly the owner died & it was stored for awhile (months? years? I forgot to ask). Wife was the dealers neighbor, so she consigned it to him. They took it to a local VW dealer. Dealer replaced batteries in 2 keyfobs & programmed to car, changed oil & did smog. $3000 bill. But -the dealer didn't change the main batteries.
When I got there the keyfobs didn't work, trunk wouldn't open & then it wouldn't start! So, I'm standing there somewhat concerned. Jump start worked & at that point I'm just wanting to get back home.
So drove home without shutting the engine down.
Once home, keyfobs worked to lock & unlock doors. Left it unlocked just in case. Our local wildlife eats wiring but doesn't steal cars or contents. Car started.
By nightfall i finally opened the trunk (pressing on medallion) key fob & door switch trunk opening no go? Will retest this AM & also see if it starts.
So, I think I should replace the batteries- & maybe the transmission fluid.
Driving impression: Looked down once south of San Luis Obispo & speedo said 90- could of fooled me. South end of highway one is Very Twisty. This is not a sports car. but still fun. I like this car.
I like it better than my Touareg V10 diesel, which I like a lot.
But: why no backup camera?
Why no keyless start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the ad & it was not too far from me- 4 hour drive +/-. One owner, dealer serviced, low mileage car. Looks showroom new- Probably garage kept. If I remember correctly the owner died & it was stored for awhile (months? years? I forgot to ask). Wife was the dealers neighbor, so she consigned it to him. They took it to a local VW dealer. Dealer replaced batteries in 2 keyfobs & programmed to car, changed oil & did smog. $3000 bill. But -the dealer didn't change the main batteries.
When I got there the keyfobs didn't work, trunk wouldn't open & then it wouldn't start! So, I'm standing there somewhat concerned. Jump start worked & at that point I'm just wanting to get back home.
So drove home without shutting the engine down.
Once home, keyfobs worked to lock & unlock doors. Left it unlocked just in case. Our local wildlife eats wiring but doesn't steal cars or contents. Car started.
By nightfall i finally opened the trunk (pressing on medallion) key fob & door switch trunk opening no go? Will retest this AM & also see if it starts.
So, I think I should replace the batteries- & maybe the transmission fluid.
Driving impression: Looked down once south of San Luis Obispo & speedo said 90- could of fooled me. South end of highway one is Very Twisty. This is not a sports car. but still fun. I like this car.
I like it better than my Touareg V10 diesel, which I like a lot.
But: why no backup camera?
Why no keyless start?
Congrats!
I am not an expert on this but I do own a 3.6 VR6 2012 Gen3(Maybe?) in Asia. From what I know, there are not too many examples that comes with push button start in the US.

From what you describe about the keys, I think the VW dealer didn’t do it correctly. Were the two key fobs original? If so, the dealer may have messed up them during re-programming.

Lastly, change ALL the fluids and resolve the mechanical issue as early as you find them. I do oil change to my VR6 every 8000km(5000miles) even though the engine is relatively reliable.

I was going to get it once I get back to the area but you went ahead of me. The phaeton drives so smooth and quiet and with the VW badge it’s the most low-profile car on the road… I will keep looking.

·
Registered
2006 W12 Aubergine
15 Posts
Yes, I also like the low profile aspect of it.
I spent the morning getting familiar with all the buttons & etc.
All buttons on remote working now (altho trunk needs help with opening. Opens OK with medallion pushbutton though.)
The instructions for the remote garage door opener don't seem to correspond to what I see in the car. Says 'push button 1 & 3 & some light's supposed to flash 'above button # 2'. I pushed no flashes, didn't see any lights.
I'll search the forum & see what turns up on the remote opener.

·
Registered
4x W12, 1x V8
1,209 Posts
There are a few threads on the garage door opener and mostly people can't get the method you are using to work. I think to remember that to instead but the garage door opener into learning mode which seems to be working more reliably.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
It may depend on how old the garage opener is. I think I followed the directions in the FAQ.

I had no problem on either Phaeton but my house was built in '97 and the opener is probably of that vintage.

I think I downloaded the opener's manual and put it into learning mode as Stephan mentioned.

Mine is a Craftsman. I had the door and opened repaired once and the tech said the openers are all made by the same company.

·
Registered
25,718 Posts
None of the U.S. Phaeton have push button start from the factory. It is a very easy upgrade though. I have done it to both of my Phaetons and I think Dennis did it to at least 1 of his as well.

Did ANY cars have backup camera in the U.S. in 04-06?

These cars aren't sports cars as far as agile- BUT they are definitely performance cars in the sense of rock solid stability regardless of speed. If you have good tires- put it into a turn as hard as you want...it won't go anywhere unexpected.

I chased my buddy in his Golf R through the blue ridge parkway at very high speeds. The car loved it.

Welcome to the club. Go buy a VagCom now.

·
Registered
2006 W12 Aubergine
15 Posts
None of the U.S. Phaeton have push button start from the factory. It is a very easy upgrade though. I have done it to both of my Phaetons and I think Dennis did it to at least 1 of his as well.

Did ANY cars have backup camera in the U.S. in 04-06?

These cars aren't sports cars as far as agile- BUT they are definitely performance cars in the sense of rock solid stability regardless of speed. If you have good tires- put it into a turn as hard as you want...it won't go anywhere unexpected.

I chased my buddy in his Golf R through the blue ridge parkway at very high speeds. The car loved it.

Welcome to the club. Go buy a VagCom now.
[/QUOTE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts