VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Toyota dealer talking to a salesman friend and looking at new 4Runner's. He said they had just seen pics and got specs on 05 Tacoma. He confirmed it will be built on the 4Runner platform and come with the 4.0 and a new 4.5 V8.
Anyone else heard this, or have any pics? Does Toyota have a new V8 in the works? They need some more displacement to keep up with the Titan and new F-150.
I love my 03 Tacoma but it is very dated compared to the new 4Runner.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: 05 Tacoma (PoorHouse)

I saw one awhile back on a Toyota forum when I was looking to buy a leftover '03 Tacoma. Apparently current Tacoma owners don't like the new one at all (but then again what VW owner likes the new version of their car coming out either?

·
Registered
16,519 Posts

Well, there is also a new Tundra in the works. But a new, updated Tacoma with a V8 sounds MIGHTY appealing. Especially if it keeps the 4Runner's 7000lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: (JettaPat)

Quote, originally posted by JettaPat »
Well, that kind of stinks if they're completely abandoning the compact truck market. Sounds like this thing would be Dakota and up territory. Oh, well.

yeah that's what they didn't like about it...it's a lot bigger

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (LittleBlackGTI)

I agree it would be into Dakota size, and very close to Tundra sized.
There was (is) a lot of flack about the new 4Runner as well, based on size and looks. I still think they look strange, but after renting an 03 SR5 I was VERY impressed with how it drove. The new interior is a big improvement.

G

·
Re: (PoorHouse)

Quote, originally posted by PoorHouse »
I agree it would be into Dakota size, and very close to Tundra sized.

Not hardly. The new 2004 Tundra Club Cab is the biggest 1500 series pick-up on the market today. It's four inches longer than the longest F150, and 6" longer than the Titan. It's wider than both as well.
Unfortunately, it's incredibly underpowered considering all the extra girth. However, the next-generation Tundra, which will be previewed at Detroit, is rumoured to change all that.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

Not hardly. The new 2004 Tundra Club Cab is the biggest 1500 series pick-up on the market today. It's four inches longer than the longest F150, and 6" longer than the Titan. It's wider than both as well.
Unfortunately, it's incredibly underpowered considering all the extra girth. However, the next-generation Tundra, which will be previewed at Detroit, is rumoured to change all that.

True.
I was referring to the Tundra reg and x-cab, which have less interior volume than the rivals.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,666 Posts

With the growth of the next Taco, I would expect the new Tundra (2006 model, I believe) to be substantially larger than the current model. No doubt it will see a better (bigger) V8 under the hood, too.
It's kind of sad to see the Tacoma growing in size. I always thought the current model was a great package for those of us who want a "real" 4x4 truck.

G

·
Re: (PoorHouse)

Quote, originally posted by PoorHouse »
I was referring to the Tundra reg and x-cab, which have less interior volume than the rivals.

But only till the next-generation Tundra arrives. The Club Cab will be providing the template for those trucks as well.
With the growth of such trucks as the Tacoma and Frontier, I think it's inevitable that Toyota and Nissan will have to do what Nissan and Honda are preparing to do with the Civic and Sentra, cars that have grown so big that they need to introduce a smaller car below those two. Frankly, I see no reason why the market can't support compact, midsize and fullsize pickups.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts