VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled my car on the way home from work and noticed my revs started hunting, I thought it was a truck behind me, but noticed it my car sitting at about 1300rpm in D, normally its about 7-800. When I shifted to neutral it started climbing to 2000rpm, then back to about 1300 again, up to 1800, back to normal, up again etc etc.

Once I got home I switched off and started again, was ok for a few seconds then started hunting again, I gave her a good rev, she seemed responsive, no problems, then settled back to normal RPM for about 10 seconds, before doing it again.

The only thing that changed was getting more fuel. I checked under the bonnet, nothing lose that I could tell, couldn't hear any leaks, I will try and locate the PCV but I have to out again about 10mins so it won't be tonight. But just seems weird its suddenly done it after topping up with 98.

Read the codes on carista and there was nothing apart from my usual error regarding the phone as I don't use the built in phone dock from 2006.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
It does sound like a vacuum leak, not all of them set codes. Does anything change if you cover up the little hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve housing is (back of the right side as you face the engine)?

·
Registered
Still own 2002 TTQ, 05’R53,2016 S1 and ex R32
2 Posts
Yes guess somewhere related mostly to PCV, check it out all vacuum valves, if there is no hissing you can hear it then need to remove one by one, I replaced those weak valves ( vag cars)*with vacuum valve made in Japan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does sound like a vacuum leak, not all of them set codes. Does anything change if you cover up the little hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve housing is (back of the right side as you face the engine)?
the PCV hole is hissing air, and covering it makes no difference to the idle either. Removing the intake pipe post MAF did, it seemed to settle down and idle better initially, then starting doing the hunt again.
I'll check the PCV vacuum pipe properly tonight, I only had a feel on Friday, and a listen, ooh er missus, but I'll remove it tonight and check for light ingress, and/or crap buildup.

I did have glance around on Friday morning and it still looks immaculate under my bonnett, even at 205000kms, no hissing, no leaks, no splatter, and the fact it was sudden was a surprise. Hoping it is as simple as a leak somewhere I just can't find.
Thanks for response guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts