VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "tapping" noise coming from the front passenger footwell/lower dash. This occurs only when completely warmed up and only at idle. Pressing on the accelerator, and it goes away. Brought it in, after inspection, and a phone call between the tech and VOA, they indicated it was an injector sound resonating through a hose????????? The tech indicated there was a similar problem on the Fox years ago, and by installing a "softer" hose the noise disappeared. Currently no TSB on this issue. Tech also indicated if enough people complain, they might come up with a fix. Does anyone else have this noise???What kind of BS is this, waiting for "enough" complaints?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Re: 06 GLI Tapping Noise (Platinum GLI)

Quote, originally posted by Platinum GLI »
I have a "tapping" noise coming from the front passenger footwell/lower dash. This occurs only when completely warmed up and only at idle. Pressing on the accelerator, and it goes away. Brought it in, after inspection, and a phone call between the tech and VOA, they indicated it was an injector sound resonating through a hose????????? The tech indicated there was a similar problem on the Fox years ago, and by installing a "softer" hose the noise disappeared. Currently no TSB on this issue. Tech also indicated if enough people complain, they might come up with a fix. Does anyone else have this noise???What kind of BS is this, waiting for "enough" complaints?

I've heard the same noise. I'll bring it up the next time I have my car in for an oil change. It's probably not serious enough to warrant a recall or a TSB, since it is likely intermittent and won't cause any damage. VW is a business, so I can understand why they wouldn't want to spend all the money to replace every hose in every Jetta unless they get enough complaints.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Interesting to hear this, I just picked up my 2.0T and had the exact same thing. I'll see what my dealer has to say about it. It does sound more mechanical then rattle-like, but still a bit annoying.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts

OMG!
I had that similar problem on my 04 Jetta 1.8t! I thought that it was the belt cuz it was like more of a whap noise coming from the far right. It was only at idle and if i would tap the throttle a bit, it would go away? When I would open my hood and try and listen for it I couldn't even really hear it. I could only here it when I was in the car?
that is so weird and when I would take it in to the service dept and they would say that they couldn't hear it or reproduce it. The damn bastards. I hate VW service man, bunch of ass wipes!

Modified by niehinunter at 8:31 PM 10-22-2005

·
Registered
293 Posts

Emissions equipment.
I forget the exact name of the device, but it's meant to keep your emissions in compliance at idle. My 04 GTI had it, only noticed it at idle, sounded like a light valve tapping noise.
Perfectly normal, forget and enjoy. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the name of the device.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

Had my dealer take a look, they found the fuel line tapping the tunnel at certain engine speeds (particularily at idle in gear). They added some insulating material and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
there is also a tapping noise like that in my sisters 03' Jetta GL, She had to get her transmission replaced yesterday because it was totally screwed up, it would all of a sudden jerk forward at any time when the gear was changing...But anyways, i think they replaced something else in here car also, other then the transmission that stopped the tapping noise, if you want i can tell you what they replaced?? Maybe its the similiar part that is making the noise in your Jetta...even though they are different years...

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Re: (bmt_toronto)

Quote, originally posted by bmt_toronto »
Had my dealer take a look, they found the fuel line tapping the tunnel at certain engine speeds (particularily at idle in gear). They added some insulating material and the noise is gone.

Interesting, I have this tapping thing going on from time to time in my car too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah if it sounds like a clock, but clicking a little faster it is just the EVAP solenoid. Sometimes they get noisier if they are dirty. My dad's VR6 GTi does this a lot but I haven't heard it in my car. This is very common and is normal.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: (asbGLI04)

Quote, originally posted by asbGLI04 »
yep normal on the 1.8T's probably normal on the 2.0T's..

...and on my 2.5 too?
Why should anyone consider that normal? It drives me insanse.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: (NewsJunkie)

i'm noticing this too sometimes. what should i tell the dealer? this happens intermittently so it's going to be another one of those difficult to replicate at the dealer kind of problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: (NewVWGuy1)

ok, the noise comes from the climatronic system when the car is at idle or when you just start up the car. i heard it a couple of times today and immediately turned off the climatronic... and the sound went away! when i turned it back on the tapping came back. now i need to reproduce this at the dealer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: (NewVWGuy1)

So, Im not alone huh? Same problem. i thought I killed it by turning off the a/c too, but I left work tonight, a/c was off and the noise was still there. It may be normal but it annoys the bejesus out of me as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.