VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09A 140K Jetta 2005 TDI Cold delay when shifting into drive. Shifts completly fine once warmed up or if I let it warm before driving off in the AM. Typically on warm days no issue. Replaced all soloniods to no avail. problem still persists. My sons Golf o5 with same tranny had similar issues but also started shifting incorrectly. When we replaced all solonoids his is 100% fine. I own an OBDCOM but it shows nothing.
Anyone have an answer or a direction.?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
did you verify the fluid level was correct or did you just add what you drained out?

Delayed engagement can be fluid level low or a drainback problem, or loss of hydraulic pressure inside the trans.

Drainback means as the trans sits, the fluid inside the converter drains back into the trans leaving the converter half full (or half empty), so when you initially start, the converter has to fill which can cause delay in itself, or can rob needed pressure from clutch packs till the converter fills. Drainback is caused by slight wear, here and there which allows the fluid to seep back into the trans.

Pressure loss is also similiarly slight wear going to the clutch packs, leaking off pressure, making "fill time" for the clutch packs longer. Pressure loss could also just overall pressure being low, as well.

If you have either drainback or pressure loss both these issues would need rebuild to fix. If I were you I would verify the fluid level, then live with it as long as you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the multiple posts. New to using the site

Yes, I have done several flushes since I am original owner without issue before. Last flush (issue existed already) I switched to the Fuchs brand and removed several of the plugs on the bottom where a little more than usual came out and i still only put back 3.8 litres as I always have. Could this be an issue? Any idea on the symptoms of an overfill?
I can live with it since I know to warm first.
Can a valve body be replaced without full tranny removal. Probably a dumb qustion but I have many of those.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
.....and i still only put back 3.8 litres as I always have. Could this be an issue?
How about checking the fluid level the correct way??? Draining "some amount" out and refilling the same amount leaves lots of oppuritunites for mistakes where it ends up low.

.....Any idea on the symptoms of an overfill?

Usually none, but if it was extremely full it would vent (leak)

.....Can a valve body be replaced without full tranny removal.
Yes, but your going through too many "hypothetical" questions. Check the fluid the right way and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked

How about checking the fluid level the correct way??? Draining "some amount" out and refilling the same amount leaves lots of oppuritunites for mistakes where it ends up low.

Usually none, but if it was extremely full it would vent (leak)

Yes, but your going through too many "hypothetical" questions. Check the fluid the right way and go from there.
Checked levels at 40C and about a pint drained out. When cold still has to warm to go into drive. Then rest of the day unless it sits a long time no delays no issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reverse Vs Drive drainback

As I stated later I did the right test and its not a fluid issue so my next question is if drainback occurs then why is it fine shifting into rverse but a delay when shifting into forward. Does not the converter work for both gears the same? Again all works fine once warm up occurs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same issue

I have same issue 2002 vw jetta 01m mk4 just put in brand new trans from factory trans is great delay only in drive so mr. old seals or torque converter man is WRONG .replaced tcm and wiring problem gone!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Checked levels at 40C and about a pint drained out. When cold still has to warm to go into drive. Then rest of the day unless it sits a long time no delays no issues.
Read through link below. Its for a 01m but the fill procedure/check procedure is exactly the same .

Especially the part titled "fill procedure" and "#8 is where folks go wrong". You seem to have went wrong on #8 as well. I'm not saying this will fix your issue. But you have to eliminate this as a possibility.

http://kansascitytdi.com/01m-filter-change/

If your confidant your fluid is full and your still having this problem the assumption would have to be that you have a forward clutch pressure loss. Most shops will recommend replacement based on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the same problem cold not changing gear on 1and2 and goes till 40kmh after they goes bit still playing...my faults was i put picture under and i found that that changing my gear stick because was totally broken i bought it like that.yesterday i try my second hand stick put it in the car plugs the wires remove faults and comes like missile.today i put the new gear stick (2nd hand from other golf) it cames better not 4th gear is hard to engage again i see work on 1235 gears.could be soloinds #4 ****ed and someone known which soloinds number per each gear like n89is 3rd gear something like this.thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.