VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09A reverse gear suddenly problem IN HALF SOLVED

Happy New Year!
Excuse me fo my bad language, but I'm from Bulgaria /another side of the Earth/.
I have VW Golf 4 1.9 TDI PD with Tiptronic gearbox /09A/.
The car is 7 years old with 170K kilometers /~100K miles/ on the clock.
Several days ago, when I go out my work, I can't engage my reverse gear.
The selector lever moves into reverse, on the dashboard "R" appear, but the gear does not engage.
The car drives fine when going forward.
I have diagnostic software /VAG-COM 311.2/. The diagnostic shows next fault:
Address 02 -----------------------------
Controller: 09A 927 750 H A
Component: G5 Getriebe 09A 0138
1 Fault Found:
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent
-----------------------------
I erased the fault. After 200 kilometers I diagnostic again, but does not show any fault.
First of all, I intend to check ATF level, but I can't measure the ATF temperature.
VAG-COM shows only:

Sorry, for stupid question:
Previous day, before this trouble situation, I chnged the engine oil in the little private garage.
Can the fitter make a mistake for a plug at a moment, and to drain out for instance 1/2 litre of ATF?
Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Best regards!
Conko Noykov

Modified by Noykov at 7:42 AM 1-25-2009

Modified by Noykov at 7:45 AM 1-25-2009

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem (Noykov)

Conko,
You need to use Measuring Block 002 to read the ATF Temp. And yes the mechanic could have made a mistake, but I doubt it. Your English is great, better than some who speak it as a first language. As far as the no reverse, I'm not sure what is wrong, but there is a plastic piston for reverse that cracks and causes transmission problems. I hope it's not that and a simple problem. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem (coolvdub)

Hi! Thank you very much for your reply Mr.Don Jones /coolvdub/!!!
Here is my story:
When I requested In local distributor of VW in my country, as if I want they to play Beethoven's 5th Symphony. In several
other places the price for repairing was huge.
Then I get a decision with my friend George /with nickname Jocky/ to DIY. A lot of days I read of Internet about this
transmission.
Little of theory in Bulgarian:

Part of very useful information for diagnostic:

We Measuring the pressure:

The value of pressure was OK!

Very strange, because according experts the most probably reason is cracked reverse piston !!!

Then we begin to remove the transaxle:

The Planetary gear I with clutch K2 /on the left in the pictute/

However we check K2 and B1

In that case, we made the specific tool

Unfortunately the K2 & B1 was OK.
We arrived to the stalemate!!!
The valve body. All solenoids was OK electrically and Mechanically!!!

The maze too!!!

The George /with nickname Jocky/ told me:
Flashes through my mind an idea:
If brake band doesn't work - the reverse gear doesn't work too, because there is Sprag clutch. The sprag clutch is locked
from 1th to 4th gear, in the 5-th it of no significance, because the clutch K4 is locked, but in reverse gear the sprag
clutch is NOT locked /depending of direction of rotation/. We must to split the gearbox!!!

Really!!! The band brake is broken!!!

George discover the problem:

The broken band brake:

I order it, and expect to receive it until middle of the next week. The cost is 131 BGN. (today 1 USD=1.506 BGN)
Best regards!
Conko Noykov

Modified by Noykov at 7:46 AM 1-25-2009

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem (Noykov)

Conko,
You have done an excellent job finding the problem, thank you to George and you for taking the time to tear the transmission down and fix the problem. I'm sorry you had to go to such trouble to fix it. But the information you have found and the pictures will go a long way to help others who may have the same problem. You don't know how long I have wanted to see the inside of the transmission, and know exactly where the strainer is located, you have made my day. Are you going to replace the strainer(filter) while you have the gearbox split? Once again thank you, and congratulations for finding and fixing the problems instead of just replacing the transmission. I am going to ask the moderator of this forum to put your very helpful thread in the DIY/FAQ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem IN HALF SOLVED (coolvdub)

I have the same symptoms, but I have an 01M. Same problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem IN HALF SOLVED (dime242)

Sorry, but I don't think so, because:
1. 01M is different transmission.
2. My case is uncommon.One and all told me - the problem is a cracked reverse piston.
3. I haven't constructor's knowledges about other automatic gearboxes. I'm working in a Bank - IT department and my proffesion's field are LAN's. WAN,s ...
If somebody have a problem with 09A, I'll help whatever I can.
I have feft 1 litre ATF (G 052 990 A2), with pleasure I'd give someone who lives not so far.
I hope that you problem will be solved shrtly, easy and cheaply! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
P.S. I covered the distance of 2K kilometers. The tranny seems to be excellently!
Regards!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a sharan 2004. I had the no reverse problem but instead band was piston. then cahnge it, now the sharan have revers but no forward, ive changed 2 times valve body but no fixes, same problem, no forward. can somebody help me? thanks in advance.
Note sorry about my english.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: 09A reverse gear suddenly problem IN HALF SOLVED (Noykov)

Hi
My Golf is also `02 1.9 TDI PD with 09A trany 300k km. Till now i didn`t hawe any troubles, BUT a week ago they cam.
I have only 1-st and rear gear.
The Vag-com sais:
Address 02 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 09A 927 750 N
Component: AG5 Getriebe 09A 0163
1 Fault Found:
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
---------------------------------------------------------
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
This code appears when the TCM commands a gear but it doesn't see the trans making that gear ratio. It "sees" this by looking at engine rpm, input rpm and vehicle speed. Basically this means a slip of any type.
Usually this code will make failsafe operation which I think is what you are interpreting as "1st and rear gear" only.
Make sure its full of fluid. Then make sure the sensors are working. If those are fine then you have a internal part slipping. EDIT: Sometimes a solenoid sticking can cause this code also.
Clearing the code and drive to see if you notice any operational problems before the code reoccurs.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 10:38 AM 9-6-2009

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same tranny wont go in reverse or drive past 20mph when engine temp is cold!

Im having similar problems with my 03 gti it has 116k miles on it and is an automatic tiptronic tranny. When at cold start the tranny will not engage in reverse. Once the car has reached the 190f temp it engages.
Also during that time the car will not pass 3rd gear or go faster than 20mph, unless car is completly warmed up.
I was told by a vw mechanic at a vw dealership that it needs a tranny fluid flush and the seal is worn or the fluid is old and needs a change.

Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Wont upshift cold is commonly caused by the n92 solenoid. See the following thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...T-Jetta-not-shifting-gears-from-1st-when-cold

your reverse problems probably wont be fixed by n92 though.

If your reverse works when warmed up then you dont have the same problem that is discussed in this thread. In other words you dont have a broken band.

EDIT: I dont remember what I was saying in this last paragaph, but I should have said... "N90 solenoid can stick and cause no reverse, especially no reverse cold."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only loose reverse gear when partially warmed up

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon with the 5 speed tiptronic transmission. It has 255,000 miles on it, and unfortunately I bought into the idea that VW says it is a 'lifetime' tranmission lubrication. Recently I lost reverse gear, almost all the time. I researched how to change the fluid, and have now done so 3 or 4 times. Now I can get reverse when the car is cold or fully warmed up, but there is a small band in the warm up cycle where it will not give me reverse gear. Ideas what thee problem is, anyone. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
N90 solenoid can cause no reverse. If it works sometimes and not othertimes, then you may have n90 solenoid sticking.

No easy diagnosis for this you just have to try it but its better than buying a trans!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Before we get too deep in the causes for such a symptom I can say with near certainty that problem is internal. The next question is what are you willing to do yourself? To diagnose this properly will require at least a pressure gauge to check fluid pressure. It is good that you flushed the transmission, albeit a bit late, but fluid flushes are preventative measures like changing the oil on your engine. They will never, okay almost never, fix any problem and those freak instances where they do is usually because the filter had friction material, metal shavings, etc. in it restricting flow to the pump, but you will likely still need to rebuild the unit soon. That doesn't mean that every problem requires a rebuild. Let me know what you are willing to give a go with and I will discuss further about what to check and how this translates to your problem.

Brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brad

I see you like in Woodbury. Is that in MN? I live in Hudson, WI. Do you know of a good rebuilder for this transmission locally?

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I have built several and there are shops around here and there, though I would stay away from Certified Transmission in Stillwater. Is it something you would like to do yourself?

Brad

1 - 20 of 44 Posts