VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Have a question regarding checking the fluid level. Everyone says to let the trans warm up to 40C and then check the level by opening the valve at the bottom. What no one mentions is whether or not you are supposed to leave the car running or turn it off when you check the fluid. Is it ok to leave the car running while the fill port is open?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GTI wont start!

Hey guys
I have an 03 GTI with the 1.8 l and 09A Tiptronic. I am running into a bit of an emergency. I just replaced all of the solenoids and the car seemed to be doing great. Drove it about 100 miles with no problems and then went to start it this morning and it would even click or turnover. It looks like the transmission goes into emergency mode as soon as I try to start it. Its throwing p0753, 746 and 743. Everything seems to have plenty of juice from the battery. I am at a loss, any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to give an update after checking the TCM. Everything looked good except no resistance was shown for the N283 and N93 solenoids (the 66 and 65 sockets). Any ideas why those two would suddenly short out and why that would keep the car from turning on?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hello,
I dont believe that those solenoids would keep the car from starting, Im assuming that you tried to clear the codes and the codes for those solenoids keep coming back, N93 pressure control sol., n283, 2-4 brake duty solenoid. What you may want to do as a test is clear the codes while the car is running, if you dont have enough volts going down to the trans, it may throw a code, especially on start up, thats why i would recommend running the car, confirm alternator is charging(also make sure its not over charging) see if the codes clear. Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cant even get the car to start. Everything powers up but as soon as turn the key the trans goes to emergency mode (instead of just showing park selected, it shows everything selected and if i slide it over to tiptronic mode it shows it being in 4th) and I think that is keeping the computer from allowing the car to start. It is like if you turn the car off without putting it in park and try to turn it back on again, no click no nothing.

I tried adding some more fluid, thinking that my new gasket might have been leaking but that didnt change anything. I just drained the fluid and the exact amount I put in originally + the 1.5 quarts I just added came out so the gasket wasnt leaking at all.

The really weird thing is that the solenoid ohms having been changing pretty much every time i check them.

The fist time:

1-48: 14
1-49: 14
1-50: 14
1-51: 14
1-65: ~0
1-66: ~0

2nd time:

1-48: 28
1-49: 28
1-50: 28
1-51: 28
1-65: 11
1-66: 11

3rd time:

1-48: 24
1-49: 24
1-50: 24
1-51: 24
1-65: 5
1-66: 5

Last time (after jacking the car up and draining the fluid)

1-48: 17
1-49: 17
1-50: 17
1-51: 17
1-65: 3
1-66: 3

The last one is perfect and exactly where they were after I replaced the the solenoids a week ago.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
839 Posts
If the car wont start,do you have a scanner to see what codes are present or to look at live data. Have you put a volt meter across the battery and turn the key to see if the volts are dropping down with a load on it? If you have the scanner check on live data that it is showing park or neutral.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really dont think its the battery since the lights and radio come on and dont dim when the key is turned. Unfortunately I just have a basic ODB II scanner so I can just see detailed real time data. The p0753 746 and 743 codes come up imediately and they come right back after I clear them. When the key is first put in and turned to power up everything the transmission shows it being in park but as soon as I move the key to start the engine it goes into emergency mode. It also goes into emergency mode if instead of trying to start the engine I just try to shift it into reverse or neutral.

Originally I thought that maybe one of the main harness connections in the tranny had come loose since I did fiddle with them when I changed out the solenoids but if that was the case wouldnt the ohms come back as infinite on most or all of the solenoids?

Thanks for these quick replies by the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the car wont start,do you have a scanner to see what codes are present or to look at live data. Have you put a volt meter across the battery and turn the key to see if the volts are dropping down with a load on it? If you have the scanner check on live data that it is showing park or neutral.
Nevermind, fixed it.

I never tightened the ground wire underneath the trans all the way back up. Thats why the ohm numbers kept changing. God I am a jack ass.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would think either the starter or neutral switch or battery would keep the car from starting. Yes they would come back as infinite. Have you checked all your connections? When you chaged the solenoids you tightened the ground wires on the valvebody? Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update the photos?

I saw this post sometime in the winter of 2014 and garaged my 2005 (early) Jetta Wagon hoping to swap all the solenoids at a later date. I am just returning and now all of the photos from post # 1 are gone. Is there anyway they can be reuploaded?

By the way, I'm right in the middle of the swap right now. I got all 9 solenoids for around $270 with tax and shipping from Cobra Transmission. I've already swapped the two easy ones (N282 and N283, the two in the lower right), and my wonderful Mother in Law just made us lunch!

I removed the front bumper and dropped the hard power steering lines below the tranny. This method is SUPER easy. The most difficult thing so far has been removing the valve body pan without warping it. It was glued on there pretty well. I'm following the directions in another post as far as the exact order to replace the solenoids. See post #51 from here: http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread...To-Change-Solenoids-Large-Photo-Of-Valve-Body

-Jon, CBUS, OH
2005.0 Jetta Wagon TDI

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re-Hashing an old thread

Guys I've read all the way through this post and cannot find what I am looking for. For starters, post data is great, thanks guys for the input all laid out in this thread.

Now onto to what I''m scratching my head about.

Car : 03 Jetta VR6
09A EEF code trans
170k miles

Problem: Car will not shift out of 1st gear. I have first and reverse, but when the rpms raise the trans uncouples first but doesn't engage 2nd or 3rd.

Codes: po732 2nd gear incorrect ratio (standard scan tool, don't have vagcom)
po733 3rd gear incorrect ratio

When I drained the fluid it was pitch black and had the consistency of water. Nothing on the drain plug other than minute traces of friction material. Nothing in the strainer I ran the fluid through as it drained.

I tested the solenoids and found n282 to be out of spec at 3.6 ohms. the other solenoids I could reach (at the valve body itself) read 16.6 ohms. According the original post if n282 fails the car will remain in 4th gear. Is this correct? Or will n282 failure cause the trans to lose 2nd through 5th? Should I be looking at a different solenoid?

Also, is only having 1st gear the "limp mode"?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, first, thanks for this thread, which is full of good informations.

I own a VW Golf IV, 2.3L VR5, I'm from Switzerland.

I bought this car last year, with 94'000km, and since I have it, the gearbox don't work properly.

I did do a compete revision, by an automatic gearbox professionnal mechanician (solenoids, brake band was changed, new ATF), and now, 1 problem still happens.

Gears 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 makes a big flare, the RPM raises, then the next gear comes in, sometimes hardly...

I discovered that, when driving, if I put the gearbox in tiptronic, 5th gear, and put some kicks on the gas pedal (but not kickdown), after 4-5 kicks, the gearbox works properly for 25-20 minutes, sometimes more...

Do someone have an idea of what is my problem ?

I have try to make a video, I hope problem is visible and uderstandable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LTa3pqIY0

Sorry for my poor english

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you solved your problem of no forward gears? I have same problem of no forward gears in the morning.
I have this same problem... '02 jetta 1.8t o9a trans will only shift into reverse... does it with no problems and works but I have no drive gears unless rpms get to about 5k and even then it moves centimeters at a time... I changed the fluid, it was dark colored and looked bad... car has 79,000 miles... ideas...???? Bad solenoid/s....???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to bring this thread back to life. But I am doing the solenoid install and on N91 it has the black ground wire and some little bracket. I am not exactly sure how the bracket went or what it does. I was wondering if anyone had some pointers. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe somebody can help, I am getting fault code P0778 after the solenoid change. But what I did was not check the fluid while the car was running. So it didn't have that code for the first couple days of driving it. My oBD2 scanner says it's the line pressure solenoid "B". But solenoid "B" is not the line pressure solenoid, solenoid "B" according to the manual I have its a shift solenoid N89. What it's doing is shifting really hard now. Any input would be appreciated. I guess what I have to do is check the OHMS at the TCM connection in cabin on passenger side correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function

So I figured out that the P0778 fault code wasn't the pressure control solenoid "B". It was actually #5 N283 2-4 Brake Solenoid. I was getting very hard shifts.

I tested at the 68 pin female connector that connects into the transmission control module at the firewall on passenger side. I found that when I checked the Ohms by touching pin 65 and PIN number 1 the ground , that I had zero Ohms. All the other solenoids read what they should have according to the data at the beginning of this thread.

I forgot to mention I was using the ELM327 OBD2 scanner, maybe if I had a VAG-COM It would have been easier.

I think maybe with the ELM327 OBD2 that P0778 may be almost a generic fault code saying there is a problem with a solenoid.

Thanks Coolvdub for making this thread, even though your not here you still helped me greatly!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a tiptronic that does something similar but never throws ANY codes.. None... When it's really cold it'll just stay in 1st gear even though VCDS says it's in 2nd, or 3rd.. The display shows 2nd or 3rd when in tip mode as well, but the trans is physically still in 1st.. If I run the rpm's up high enough it'll shift to 2nd, but it has to get near redline to do it.. Once it's up to temperature it functions absolutely perfect..
Hey TDI Jetta 99, my 05 Jetta TDI is having the same symptoms... No shift in 2nd when cold. Got to wait for the temperature to reach operating temperature. I used a cheap OPDII code reader and it gave me code P0732 "Incorrect Ratio gear 2" it suggest that there is issues with faulty shift solenoid or faulty TCM (not very helpful). I just purchased the new OBD-Eleven scan tool for VW's that uses an app on an android and it gave me two totally different codes.. 00652 " Gear monitoring implausible, intermittent " and 00300 " Trans Temperature sensor, implausible signal, intermittent. These codes are specific to VW and I had to go to Ross Tech's library to decipher their meaning. There is nowhere on the internet I can find the exact cause/fix for this issue. Very frustrating, you got all these electronic computers talking to each other and talking to you but there are no real good info out there to explain to you what the codes really mean. Have you gotten your 09A transmission fixed?:banghead:

·
Registered
1 Posts
miker=i

Back from the dead...I successfully repaired my first solenoid problem with an N91. When I got it fixed, they had to order another one, but I forget which.

Now my 2002 GTI will not shift in to 3rd until warm. I'm guessing this would be the N89?
i would like to be able to identify ech solinoid it dosnt seem to have any numers or letters on the ones i have taken out -any help would be much appriciated thanks hotrod

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hey TDI Jetta 99, my 05 Jetta TDI is having the same symptoms... No shift in 2nd when cold. Got to wait for the temperature to reach operating temperature. I used a cheap OPDII code reader and it gave me code P0732 "Incorrect Ratio gear 2" it suggest that there is issues with faulty shift solenoid or faulty TCM (not very helpful). I just purchased the new OBD-Eleven scan tool for VW's that uses an app on an android and it gave me two totally different codes.. 00652 " Gear monitoring implausible, intermittent " and 00300 " Trans Temperature sensor, implausible signal, intermittent. These codes are specific to VW and I had to go to Ross Tech's library to decipher their meaning. There is nowhere on the internet I can find the exact cause/fix for this issue. Very frustrating, you got all these electronic computers talking to each other and talking to you but there are no real good info out there to explain to you what the codes really mean. Have you gotten your 09A transmission fixed?:banghead:
I have simular issue with my 09A won't shift in 3rd ONLY when cold, after when warms up shifts normal in every gear .I have exactly same Codes on my TCM as you..I spend lots of time researching on this problem and it seems that solenoids helped lots of people . I will play with vag- com and digg into it more before i pull trigger on buying Solonoids .

141 - 160 of 173 Posts