VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a strange thing with my 09G tiptronic gearbox in my 05 Touran. The Inner CV joint is loose in the diff. Noticed it since the rubber thing broke, which i think was strange because it was the inner one. The car has only done 9000 kilometers. The gearbox has been in pieces at 2000 kilometers due to hard shifting back in 2006 by VW, suspect that they maybe didn't mount everything correctly back at that time. Cant really understand how this even could happen? :screwy:

Have uploaded a small sequence where you can see the joint move and the inner diff thing sitting put.

Any ideas about whats going on would be appreciated. This is what i think the joint looks like

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You just need to replace the needle bearing inside the transmission or the bushing.

Hi, have a strange thing with my 09G tiptronic gearbox in my 05 Touran. The Inner CV joint is loose in the diff. Noticed it since the rubber thing broke, which i think was strange because it was the inner one. The car has only done 9000 kilometers. The gearbox has been in pieces at 2000 kilometers due to hard shifting back in 2006 by VW, suspect that they maybe didn't mount everything correctly back at that time. Cant really understand how this even could happen? :screwy:

Have uploaded a small sequence where you can see the joint move and the inner diff thing sitting put.

Any ideas about whats going on would be appreciated. This is what i think the joint looks like

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just need to replace the needle bearing inside the transmission or the bushing.
Ok, changed my inner joints yesterday. Still sitting "loose" as you can wiggle it a bit but according to my workshop friends this is to be expected. Not sitting totally firm as i had expected. Doesnt seem to be anything wrong with bearing inside the gearbox. The difference was noticeable on testdrive home. All vibrations GONE! What a difference!!! Theory is that the joint where bad but you kind of missed it since the joint so wiggly attached in gearbox and ended up focusing on that instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, changed my inner joints yesterday. Still sitting "loose" as you can wiggle it a bit but according to my workshop friends this is to be expected. Not sitting totally firm as i had expected. Doesnt seem to be anything wrong with bearing inside the gearbox. The difference was noticeable on testdrive home. All vibrations GONE! What a difference!!! Theory is that the joint where bad but you kind of missed it since the joint so wiggly attached in gearbox and ended up focusing on that instead.
Nope, i was wrong. Not solved. New inner joint's made it better all around but now i "sometimes" gets HUGE vibrations around 110-120 km/h. My guess is that the driveshafts on the passager side start to wobble at some point. If you let go of the gas for a second it, it calms down. If you dont, vibrations just gets worse. Just checked, can still wiggle the drive side axle quite a bit. So i guess radlynx is correct, needs to get the gearbox out an fix the bearings. Is there any technical information / charts somewhere for this box? Thanks in advance... /flippflopp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, i was wrong. Not solved. New inner joint's made it better all around but now i "sometimes" gets HUGE vibrations around 110-120 km/h. My guess is that the driveshafts on the passager side start to wobble at some point. If you let go of the gas for a second it, it calms down. If you dont, vibrations just gets worse. Just checked, can still wiggle the drive side axle quite a bit. So i guess radlynx is correct, needs to get the gearbox out an fix the bearings. Is there any technical information / charts somewhere for this box? Thanks in advance... /flippflopp
Nope, wrong again. The bearings seems to be solid. have had the shafts out again and inspected the diff from the outside. All CV's now also feels solid. Still puzzled about that you can wiggle the CV's as the sit in the box but i guess thats the design. Any ideas about what could cause vibrations in speeds around 110-120 km/h ? Is there something else i'm missing here??? Thanks /FlippFlopp

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My 08 Passat has similar issue, have replaced both CV shafts with units from Raxles and it got better but ended up buying new wheel bearings for both sides and that also seemed to help minimize vibration I was getting around 75mph and higher

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 08 Passat has similar issue, have replaced both CV shafts with units from Raxles and it got better but ended up buying new wheel bearings for both sides and that also seemed to help minimize vibration I was getting around 75mph and higher
Ok, thanks rcprato, will check wheel bearings also.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hi guys

Im having similar issues with my 07 passat wagon. Im reviving old threads that are similar as it seems there may be a pattern.

any more help on the issue here?

there is (IMHO) too much play at the inner cv interface with the transmission on my 60,000 mile car.

My complaint is that I am getting bad wheel bearing like symptoms at 50 mph but they seem okay with the car jacked up and me spinning the wheels. no roughness or looseness like I was expecting.

the only thing I found was the pass side (long axle) had play at the transmission

JP

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have never observed any "normal" play at the Inner CV/Differential joint like that in any car that I own, unless the differential bearings are bad.

A little "lash" is OK, i.e. you can turn the shaft a little (a few degrees) back and forth before it catches, but up and down (or sideways) play like that is not OK.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ok, thanks rcprato, will check wheel bearings also.
I know I'm reviving old thread. How does needle bearing look like? Could you please guide us to technical information, part numbers and videos? I've been having similar issues with my Jetta for about 3 years. I replaced inner CV joint with no apparent improvement. Vibration gets worse at 30 mph. My mechanic tells me passenger side inner CV flange has abnormal play at the differential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts