VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do different 09G valve body generations have different set types of solenoids? I recently purchased a set of rebuilt solenoids, they have silver casing & seem a bit larger than the OEM solenoids. The original solenoids are a bit smaller & have darker gray-metal casing.
I'm suspecting that the rebuild solenoids might be causing an issue with reverse which I didn't have with the original solenoids. Could it be a compatibility issue?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I cant answer your question, I really think this would be a better question for the people you bought the solenoids from.

I do have some input, if you would answer a couple questions.

1. Did the solenoids fix your issue?
2. Where did you purchase the solenoids.

There is one solenoid, I would have to look up which one, that would affect reverse engagement. If I were you I would swap that one with your original to see if the problem went away. This way you could tell this to your solenoid provider. Hopefully you haven't returned the cores yet. If you want to swap out your solenod with the original one then let me know and I'll look it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant answer your question, I really think this would be a better question for the people you bought the solenoids from.

I do have some input, if you would answer a couple questions.

1. Did the solenoids fix your issue?
2. Where did you purchase the solenoids.

There is one solenoid, I would have to look up which one, that would affect reverse engagement. If I were you I would swap that one with your original to see if the problem went away. This way you could tell this to your solenoid provider. Hopefully you haven't returned the cores yet. If you want to swap out your solenod with the original one then let me know and I'll look it up.
Actually the rebuilt solenoids didn't fix the problem I had which was with 3rd gear. My next step was to install a different VB & the 3rd gear issue got solved but then I got this severe issue with reveres with the rebuilt solenoids installed. I then installed the original (oem) solenoids which I still had & now all gears are perfectly fine, never been any smoother!
I'd really appreciate it if you let me know which solenoids affects reverse. I know that K3 affects reverse but it also affects 3rd & 5th!

there are two differnt types :thumbup: now you can send those back :cool:
Can you elaborate further about the differences? are all the solenoids different? Do rebuilt solenoids vendors actually offer 2 different types of solenoids?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
the k3 clutch is on in reverse in addition to the B1.

K3 clutch is controlled by the n90 solenoid which is the one in the front. (next to the manual valve).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was confirmed by bjohns86 that 09G has two different types of solenoids, a large can & a small can. Based on my own experience the two types are not compatible/interchangeable. I hope that someone here would shed some light about the differences between the two types, electrical, pressure amounts & differences in VB design?
One more question, did any USDM car with a 09G came with a small can solenoid VB?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts