Registered
2013 Tiguan SE+ 4Motion Midnight Blue Metallic
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Tiguan 4 Motion
80k Miles
All fluids Recently Serviced
No Codes No DTCs

Around 65k miles I noticed an occasional shift issue that 3rd would seem to float a bit before shifting to 4th. Didn't really seem to bother me. About 72-73k miles it started getting worse. Now it was short shifting from 1st to second and at 35 it would jump clear up to 6th and lug around at 900 RPM, and vibrate and make noise. So at 80k I did a total service. Oil, Differentials, Haldex, dropped the trans fluid and cleaned things up. Magnets had a bit of fuzz and had a light grey coating on top of the filter screen. Nothing to throw ref flags. Refilled to spec using Fuchs Titan 4400. Reset transmission to basic settings via VCDS. Now transmission skips from 1st to second worse. Floats in 3rd and now at 35 it stays in 5th lockup until I hit about 38 then drops into 6th. New issue is unless I come to a full stop it won't shift into 1st. Roll up to a yellow to make a turn ease up start the turn and I'm stuck in second unless I floor it to shift into 1st. It's just been doggy as heck. Slow off the line unless I punch it.

Sport mode or manual using the paddles o can drive it just fine. But it's to my understanding that in manual and sport lockup doesn't come into play?

Been to 2 different quality Transmission shops. One said it was okay, he's seen worse. #2 drove it agreed something was up, but his scan tool wouldn't read the TCM.

VW Dealer said nothing that can do without a slip code or any DTC. But would gladly look at it for $200 diagnosis time. But then said well if no codes come up nothing we can do. (other than take my money)

I've tried resetting the TCM a couple of times but when I go in it already says it's in Basic Settings (in German) System in G*****

Once I'm cruising at freeway speed it seems to be okay as well. I was told tondo another fluid change as it's behavior changed after the last drop and fill.

I don't have the money to drop into a new valve body (quoted $1200-2200) $2000 for a Sonnax that's better built. And me doing it myself, I don't think the clutches are bad, not that much stuff in the pan.

So I've pretty much tried everything other than swapping out the TCM or unplugging the TCM to reset it. What else can I look for or try? I'm riding my motorcycle now more as I just hate how the Tiguan is driving. Used to shift nice and crisp. Now it's like it has no idea what gear to be in and randomly picks one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Did you ever do the transmission recall that changed the shift points? If not have the dealer reflash the tcu for free and see if it changes anything. At a minimum it will drive better after.

Also check to see if you have a wheel bearing going out causing rough shifting issues.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been to 3 different dealers all day the 13 does NOT have the recall. All were pretty adamant that there isn't one for any PQ Tiguan no matter how many times I mention it. And even gave them the notice number off an older thread here, and looked at me clueless. All just wanted to charge me the diagnosis fee. I will stop by the purchasing dealer tomorrow when I'm down south.

I did check wheel bearings one was replaced under CPO warranty around 48k but will double check. I have no vibrations in the wheel just a slight vibration in the floor boards and throttle pedal.

Thanks Troy.. will.let you know.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know for a fact the 11 & 12 had a "voluntary" recall to reprogram the tcu for later shift points due to early shifting causing lugging. They did it to my wife's, and as they told us before hand, we lost about one mile per gallon in city driving. Well worth the loss.

My wife's 12 Tig 4mo shared MANY part with my 08 Passat 4mo. When my Passat wheel hub bearing assembly went out the car started shifting rougher. Come to find out the 3.6L was powering through with a bad bearing and still had power to spare.. That was a beast of a car. Loved that car and miss it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I jacked each corner up and checked all 4 corners no play or any sign of a bad bearing.

And the worst part is mines a first month of the 13s. So I had a lot of 2012 things thankfully I got the better timing chain tensioner though.

I tracked down an independent shop with a good VW wrench. Sadly he's out to the 8th but they said they would do a free diagnosis for it, they do have ODIS and another VW Dealer Tool. So they should be able to read the TCM and Transmission. And said they are 99% sure they can do any software updates if they are available. I called a dealer in Vancouver, BC as well and said yes 09-12 and some 13s have bad software. But odd it only recently reared it head so they suspect the TCM is bad or is going bad.

But oddly tonight after I washed it it ran the best it's even ran in months. Plenty of power off the line and shifted like butter. Will see how it does running to Seattle tomorrow right in the middle of rush hour.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely something going bad. Traffic was miserable. Finally had to manually shift it. It down shifted into second so hard one time it barked the rear tires. Getting parked and I'll just ride the road king till it gets in.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the transmission cooler is in the radiator. Liquid to liquid cooling. Is the fluid circulating as it should? Is the engine staying cool?

And if you changed the fluid recently via "drop pan" method it only changes 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid. Look on the "Club Touareg Forum" for the bucket transmission flush and see if you can do that on your transmission.

Also if it "barked the rear tires" you sure it's not a haldex issue? The rear tires should not be engaged unless the fronts loose traction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
External cooler above the ac cooler in front of all the radiators and intercooler. I feel both lines ones hot ones a bit cooler so I am assuming flow is good.

Haldex was a thought so I dropped the fluid in it as well and pulled the pump screen was clean. Took it off road and all 4 tires seem to soon like it should and engages slip regulation. It could of barked all 4 of slammed into 2nd so hard it nose dived.

I'm just mad at the dealer and other shops saying they can't do anything unless there is a code. So we rill see what this independent shop with an old VW Tech can do.

Talked to another place I found online that will rebuild my current valve body if needed (he agrees it's the valve body acting up, and he rebuilds a lot of them with Sonnax parts.) $700 to rebuild it with a 4 day turnaround. He's said he sees more 09Gs do this than the later 09Ms even thought they are virtually the same transmission other than their torque limiting setup and the M having a deeper pan.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to update this. Transmission actually checked out okay. 3 different shops all really cool and didn't charge me, last shop we hooked the VCDS to it and he monitored parameters while I drove in various ways. He was flummoxed. It would occasionally do something weird with no reason like shifting to 6th lock up at 30-35 mph. So he suggested I throw a TCM at it and boom that solved it. After about 500 miles of driving it seemed to sort itself out. Occasionally it will still want to shift to 6th at low speed but a quick goose to the throttle shifts it back to 4th and stays there. He also noted that a possibility since I don't have the remap for the CAI yet that could be changing a few things. Thankfully this years tax return is reflashing with IEs 1.5 tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts