VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see some quarter mile times or maybe estimated times. Is anyone out there expecting 13's at all? Possibly mention some of the stuff that might help you get as low as you are in the numbers.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: 1/4 Times? Anyone? ANYONE AT ALL? (FoxWagonGuy)

Looking at this HP calculator.
If the Fox weighs about 2300 lbs with the driver you would need to make about 205 HP at the flywheel to run 13.
That's quite a bit more than a stock fox. Most of the NA 2L 8v veterns are making 130 HP and hope to reach 140 or 150 (at the wheels).
13 seconds is much to grand a goal for me.
I'd love to run 15 with a 1.8 NA engine. Have to make about 130 at the flywheel and manage to get that to the ground.
I'm pleased (for now) with my last run of 17.799 @ 76 MPH. There is so much more for me to do to the car and to learn about technique. A 2.6 60 foot time says a lot about that. And it would probably go quicker if I took the child seat out....
Love to see other times for Foxes.
Regan

·
Registered
334 Posts
Re: 1/4 Times? Anyone? ANYONE AT ALL? (FoxWagonGuy)

havent had the chance to take my car to the track yet but i am expecting a high 17 low 18 atleast im hoping for that but hopefully i will be near that 13 second range with my tc05 setup and 100 shot, of course how long the car will live after that im not sure, but it runs great now http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and thats all that matters

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: 1/4 Times? Anyone? ANYONE AT ALL? (MYFoxIZhot93)

TeraFox ran a 15.65 at 87.72 MPH. 60 foot holeshot was 2.359. TeraFox had tremendous first gear traction problems--problems in part due to the direct nature of SDS and a massive single-valve TB. I was shifting at 7500 RPM when I should have been shifting around 6500. These factors combined probably to add .5 sec to my 1/4 mile times. If I had known then what I know now, and if I had been able to complete tuning of the fuel computer, and if I hadn't crashed the car, I probably would have touched the 14.9s.
http://www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/ff/002.html

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: 1/4 Times? Anyone? ANYONE AT ALL? (TeraFox)

YA!
Man, that so freakin awesome!
BTW, just to add my aspiritions here. My plans are mid 14's with a 2.0 block, p&p shaved g60 head, flywheel, trani, coilovers in the rear raised all the way to keep front traction(i have no clue if that will actually help or not), and a 60 shot of N2o.

Modified by HiJinx at 8:36 AM 5-7-2003

·
Banned
804 Posts
Best I ran was a 18.7something at a Mile High. The only mod was a full TT exhaust and a little lightening...
bart, raising the rear will transfer more weight foward, which theoritically (long day sorry if it's spelled wrong) would give you more front wheel traction but you'd look silly

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Re: (DCIFOX)

I ran about 18.5 in a complete stock sedan. I'm looking forward to see what the V6 can do. I'm guessing 14 or high 13's. I dunno. We'll see soon I hope.
Edit: BTW, check your door plate. My wagon weighs about 3000lbs. 2300 seems way too light unless you stripped the interior.

Modified by efritsch at 9:35 PM 5-7-2003

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: (efritsch)

Here is the Fastest Fox I've found on line.
From Pocket Rocket.
I'm sure the boys in Brazil are faster....
BEST QUARTER MILE TIME:
13.96 @ ??? mph
Everard Johnson, Jr
Port Republic, Maryland, USA
YEAR/MODEL:
* 1992 Fox
MOTOR/MODIFICATIONS:
* 1.8 Liter Stroked to 2.1 Liters
* 95.5 mm Crank, 85 mm 10.5.1:1 Pistons, Eurospec Head with Larger Valves, Titanium Springs, Extrundehone Intake Manifold Ported to Match Head, Larger Thottle Body, Custom Made Header with Equal Length Runners, Custom 2 1/2 Exhaust with Universal Straight Through Muffler, Ignition Amplifier with Matching Coil, Accel 8.8 mm Plug Wires, Stand Alone Fuel Management System, Schrick 272 Cam, Autotech Adj. Cam Gear, 150 Shots of NOS Direct Injection

Quote, originally posted by efritsch »

Edit: BTW, check your door plate. My wagon weighs about 3000lbs. 2300 seems way too light unless you stripped the interior.
Modified by efritsch at 9:35 PM 5-7-2003

3000 instead of 2300... Maybe that's part of why I'm going so slow.... I'm moving 700 pounds I didn't know about.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: (VW[Fox])

From what I've found, 2100lbs is the weight....plus or minus. . .
(Review quoted from cars.com)
Engine, ride and handling: Power comes from Volkswagen's trusty 1.8-liter, four-cylinder, fuel- injected engine, basically the same used in VW's Golf and Jetta. In the 2,150-pound, two-door test car, the engine produced 81 hp at 5,500 rpm.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: (efritsch)

Quote, originally posted by efritsch »

Door plate lists gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR.) GVWR, being "gross," includes vehicle weight plus full occupancy. Maximum occupancy is about 7-800lb. Hence, we are all between 2100 and 2300 lb, approximately. This reminds me of something I want to post on the GTG thread. Please read it, all!

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Re: (TeraFox)

Oh dear. That means I've been figuring out the HP to Weight ratio for the V6 wrong all this time and I still got 13lbs per HP.
Hmm, so if I knock off 1000lbs, add a 215HP V6, that gives me a power to weight ratio of ...... *accesses calc.exe* 9.3 to 1. And I thought the Passat 16v I drive now was fast.....oh boy... am I in trouble.
Edit: According to that calculator that was posted above the car should run 12.25 seconds in the 1/4 mile. I can't wait to test that.

Modified by efritsch at 12:58 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: (Coolwhite Fox)

Quote, originally posted by Coolwhite Fox »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those 1/4 mile calculators assume the car has perfect traction, and the driver gets a perfect reaction time?

This would not surprise me. A calculator like this can't help but make too many assumptions. RT wouldn't count, though, since your 1/4 mile time (non-competition) will start from the moment your car breaks the lights at the start line and stop at the moment you break the gates at the finish line.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (TeraFox)

I'd like to see mid 15's. That would be enough to scare away most anything that thought the car was still an 18 second car. My biggest problem comes in drivablity of such a car. I'd rather do a perfect swap and still be able to live with the creature comforts and deal with low 14's. I hope to pick up a 2 door this summer and a 5.0L blue ovaled horsey next year. When I get the 2 door though, i'll finally be able to appreciate the Fox. Mine isnt happy these days.
No 3rd gear, ignition problems and horrible looks. Im eyeing a 2 door for 300 bucks, but...the money is very hard pressed to be seen.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Re: (HiJinx)

Quote, originally posted by HiJinx »
I was thinkin.. .
we may have an advantage in launching over A1/A2's due to our heavy noses. . .
just a thought.

True. In my opinion, the equal length half-shafts don't hurt either. Now if only we could get LSD's... (Easy professor- the 'good hobby' kind
)
Snow

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.