VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (H2oVento)

16.2 on chip/K&N/Exhaust. Now I have a lightened flywheel and am in the process of stripping all of the deadening under the interior carpet, cutting out the wheel well and stripping the undercoating. The above combination WILL get me into the 15's guaranteed, and with my cam, ported/polished head, header and custom intake manifold I should be in the 14's. BoB

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (A3Jetta)

I ran my best time ever yesterday at the strip. It was a 16.996. What are you shifting at to get down to the low 16's?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (Sc00tsGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]I ran my best time ever yesterday at the strip. It was a 16.996. What are you shifting at to get down to the low 16's? [HR][/HR]​
How are you running 16.9 with your mods?

[Modified by 98vento, 10:42 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (98vento)

I know! I am usually between 17.01-17.1. I drop it at about 4k and shift at about 5k. I have tapped into 4th a couple of times looking for more speed. Then the numbers just go up.

·
Banned
900 Posts

You are shifting way too soon! See my sig. I ran my time by shifting at 6000. If you have a dyno or a dyno of a car with the same mods as yours plug them into here: http://www.bgsoflex.com/shifter.html
For the dyno I got (from a 97 2.0 which may make its power slightly higher than mine) my shift points were like 6400, 6000, and 5400. I think in the real world it I might try 6200, 6000, and then stay in 3rd but I will try what the program says at least once to see if it works.

Oh, and what kind of 60ft times are you getting. If I dropped my clutch at 4,000 it would get some nasty wheel spin and some nasty axle hop. I found about 2,600 to work fairly well but I don't know what the best rpm is yet.... or at least I think I can do better than a 2.4

quote:[HR][/HR]I know! I am usually between 17.01-17.1. I drop it at about 4k and shift at about 5k. I have tapped into 4th a couple of times looking for more speed. Then the numbers just go up. [HR][/HR]​

[Modified by Golf 2 Slow GLS, 9:22 PM 4-8-2002]

[Modified by Golf 2 Slow GLS, 9:23 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Banned
900 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (98vento)

Look at the weight of his car in his post. There is your answer.
quote:[HR][/HR]I ran my best time ever yesterday at the strip. It was a 16.996. What are you shifting at to get down to the low 16's? How are you running 16.9 with your mods?

[Modified by 98vento, 10:42 AM 4-8-2002][HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

I launch at about 1500 and shift to 2nd around 6300, then to 3rd around 6200 and run it out. I hit 4th just after crossing the line and coast down. I remove my spare, jack, rear seat, passenger seat and passenger headlight and try to run with roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank of gas.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (A3Jetta)

Quote:
"Look at the weight of his car in his post. There is your answer."
I know that the neusped stuff isn't the lightest. I don't have rear seats and I take out as much as I can; spare, jack and whatever else is rolling around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

quote:[HR][/HR]If you have a dyno or a dyno of a car with the same mods as yours plug them into here: http://www.bgsoflex.com/shifter.html [HR][/HR]​
where can you get this info? within the month I'm going to have an autotech q-chip, k&n panel filter w/ mild airbox mods and a magnaflow catback. Where could I find dyno info for that? ('97 2L Jetta, btw)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 1/4mile Times (VEEDubyaJettaIII)

Alot of high 16s here. Alot of potential though.
Don't give up guys. 16s are only the beggining.
its odd though, that many of you have similar mods and yet have very different times.
another thing, am I the only one to reach 90MPH at the 1/4mile?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (gti_8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]Alot of high 16s here. Alot of potential though.
Don't give up guys. 16s are only the beggining.
its odd though, that many of you have similar mods and yet have very different times.
another thing, am I the only one to reach 90MPH at the 1/4mile?[HR][/HR]​
You should be in the 15's with that speed. How is your 60ft time? Seems like you are spinning hard off the line.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I ran my best time ever yesterday at the strip. It was a 16.996. What are you shifting at to get down to the low 16's? [HR][/HR]​
Man, you are doing something wrong

I guess that shifting @ 5K RPM's is killing you, don't do that in the track !!!
I got [email protected] in my Jetta IV only with an K&N and a Magnaflow catback but i was shifting between 6200-6300 RPM's...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: 1/4mile Times (gti_8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]another thing, am I the only one to reach 90MPH at the 1/4mile?[HR][/HR]​
You should definately be in the 15's with that kinda speed. I am only at 83.3 with my 16.202. Are you spinning a lot through first/second? BoB

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: 1/4mile Times (Sandlock)

14" all seasons baby, and they have a 690 treadwear rating!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can do a burnout for 10 minutes and barely get a whiff of smoke from them

3.5s for 60ft

[Modified by gti_8v, 3:19 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.