VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Piston sleeves? For a 1.5???
It's recommended to find a 1.6 and run that. Any parts you may need should swap over.
1.5's are more prone to cracked blocks than any of them.
Even the early 11mm head 1.6's kinda suck, but there are a lot of them still around - cheap.
The good ones have the 12mm head bolts, so they say, like '83+.
qualitygermanauto sells engines

·
Registered
Eight diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
1,739 Posts
I'd like to know how much new sleeves for a 1.5 would cost and what reliable source can I buy them from?
You could ask your machinist if they can source it. Otherwise look for a 12mm engine block. Sleeves for 1.6L are available from Rockauto last I checked.

Reactions: Vernon Mfusi

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ya but......he's gunna turn it into a 350 Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Vernon Mfusi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alot of problems I'm experiencing with the 1.5D The previous owner who I bought it from seems to have given me a vehicle with 3 injectors leaking and diesel pump that seems as if eventually it's going to become faulty and on top of that the engine block needs to be resleeved and needs new main and big end bearings including news gaskets. Any advice on what I need to do from here on out?

Because I drove car about 250 km today with oil coming out the air intake. Whenever I stop I'm terrified of turning car off because the fuel injectors leaking may cause for the car not to start & only crank. Also where can I purchase fuel injectors that would work on an old diesel like this. I've already spent money on buying car not prepared to spend money on engine swap. Seemingly the car is still in good condition with 200000km on speedometer. Not sure if it rolled over or what's happening. I'm in South Africa and it's not 20 minutes before one in the morning sorry for the lazy text guys.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
You can fix the injector leaks.
Just depends on where they are leaking.
I haven't heard of anyone resleeving one.
They usually just get it bored and new pistons.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,650 Posts
resleeving a 1.5D seems like a waste of money
it would be arguable if there is even enough metal there to do that
maybe more metal than the 1.6D

since most Diesel cylinders oval you can have it taken to a shop for rebore, might round the cylinders enough for the largest pistons
the bentley shows you how to read the block for piston size aka "honing group"
its amazing the blocks are stamped for this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you guys for all the information. One last thing that I'd like to know is where can I get new mechanical diesel fuel injectors and if I can't get original old mechanical injectors are there models which I can replace the originals with or do you guys think that reconditioning the injectors would cost less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can fix the injector leaks.
Just depends on where they are leaking.
I haven't heard of anyone resleeving one.
They usually just get it bored and new pistons.
Do I take the injectors to a engineer for refurbishment or do I fix them myself if so what will I require to get the most decent job done.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,650 Posts
you can buy new injectors, new ones should be pop tested for spec

you can also rebuild them yourself with some tools and reading online, and pop test them yourself

i dont know of any shop that does it for you anymore...
plus youre in south africa, your name has the flag. so, more likely you need local instead of sending to europe or canada/america

·
Registered
739 Posts
a diesel injection shop (again, probably bus mechanics) should be able to fix those old-style bosch injectors.
This guy learned on his own and started a service in the U.S. https://dieselfuelinjector.guru/
Mercedes, VW, volvo, and many others used the same bosch mechanical injectors for decades.
You send him new nozzles to install and/or he is also good at getting most any bosch IDI injector spraying properly with cleaning/shimming.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Do I take the injectors to a engineer for refurbishment or do I fix them myself if so what will I require to get the most decent job done.
That depends on where the leak is.
At the base of the injector where it meets the head
it's probably a heat shield. Those can be reshaped without cracking sometimes.
2/3s of the time.
Sometimes it's just the antisieze or whatever lube the injector was installed with boiling out.

If it's leaking at the injector halves you can take the injector apart and lap the surfaces using glass and some 400 grit sandpaper.

If it's leaking where the injector line is connected
That could be the line.
Check the surface of the injector and line.
Or it could be one of the little lines spurting fuel up there.

I flash back to my first Rabbit.
It sat for 2 years with no fuel cap and the window down.
I got it for free.
It had a 1.5D.
So I'll ask the question I wish I would have asked myself then:
How is the brass thrust surface on the bottom of the vacuum pump?
Is the gear worn into it?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts