1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it is..
*80 Scirocco 1.6 block
*Flat top direct drop-in pistons for 9.75:1 comp. ratio
*Have rods and crank balanced (Optional, not sure if I really need it done)
*Possible mystery crank..I hear you can change to a different 1.7 crank to get a very high revving setup?
*(For now) 76 Rabbit mani w/ Weber 32/36 (Later) Possible dual 40 DCOE's
*1.8 solid lifter head, mild porting/polishing, but not sure how much to mill?
*What comp. ratio should I go for (Running 92 pump gas)
*What ignition system, old point dizzy, or electronic setup (What year), or...?
*What cam?
*Has the stock diesel exhaust, but have a header, and a 2" setup in mind.
What am I trying to acheive? Not sure. Something fun and willing to rev, but not breaking the bank. Basically looking for suggestions on what to build up for a fun stoplight racer, with the motor in mind. I already have a 4K tranny, solid mounts, and will most likely use a lightened flywheel w/ 16V pressure plate. I want all the feedback as possible, because funds are allowing this, and I want to do something fun to keep myself calm while in school.

Thanx in advance...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

Oh..the car it's goin in. 78 4 door. It'll be gutted..and running on 13" rims with a nice suspension. Goin for 1600LBS. this time.

[Modified by JusAnothaRabbitRacer, 11:24 AM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
668 Posts

I found a source for the "Heron" head. The Euro MK1 GTI 1.6l version. If you're interested in that.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (2Turbo4X4)

I think it is a cool idea, but I think you can get the same fun factor, and maybe even more power by doing a 2L block swap (3a or ABA is your choice) and then doing a little head work, but you won't need new pistons or a crank or anything (not cheap)
That is just my .02 HTH
If you are just going for the "old skool" buildup, I think it is a cool idea.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (AdidasCU)

On the street, I would not go greater than 10:1 on the compression. Your pistons, as stated, will give you a 9.75:1 ratio, and I would probably stay with that, especially on pump gas.
I would use a VW electronic dizzy from one of the later A1 series. All you need is the dizzy and the small control module. About four wires need to be connected. I have used one in the race Wabbit for over five years and had no problems with the Hall-Effect dizzy.
I would also use a "G" grind cam as it is fairly cheap, and it has a 0.423 lift which is adequate for the street. Good luck with the project, WWR.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Thanx so far. Yea..I started out with a 1.6 w/ weber in my first Rabbit, and going for the same thing...but more complex. The Cylinder head should be a big improvement. I've done the 2.0 thing before, and I figure with replacing the pistons/rings, it's something less to worry bout replacing later. I thought bout having the crank and rods balanced at Napa for cheap..and they do good work here. G-grinds are cheap enough..but where does thier pull stop at? If it's about 6000 RPM like I'm thinking, then there is no reason to really balance my motor. And just to know..can I slap on the Heron head, or would that be alot more work?

[Modified by JusAnothaRabbitRacer, 3:19 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

The "G" grind in my old ITC engine pulled to 7500 rpm if needed, and I had the engine balanced. Good luck with the project, WWR.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

*80 Scirocco 1.6 block
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.8 Head on a 1.6 Block????? I'm confusious now??
Abraham

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (DieselDub82)

Techtonics used to sell 83 GTI solid lifter heads modified to fit the earlier 1.6 blocks. I had one for years and it worked great. I think other places also provided the same service at one point.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (DieselDub82)

quote:[HR][/HR]*80 Scirocco 1.6 block
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.8 Head on a 1.6 Block????? I'm confusious now??
Abraham[HR][/HR]​
yeah, I was wondering that too..
Which blocks and heads are interchangeable, using the 8v solid lifter heads?
I've got a 1.6 head that I could bolt onto a 1.8. Just never though of this before.
How's this affect compression, etc.
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. A simple quick answer will make me happy.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (gti312)

The oil port between cylinders 1&2 on the 1.8 head needs to be plugged somehow. The reason I want the 1.8 GTI head is due to the bigger valves, the 1.6 heads had smaller valves..and won't do any good for power. I don't know what else would have to be done to the 1.6 head..but it seems like a possible waste of time. Ok..back to the critique

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

the 1.6L cam is a 230 duration @.406 lift
here are some facts if found while playing with the 1.6's
the stock head ports started loosing airflow at about .330inches of valve lift, the stock cam lift is .406 so..
with a stock head and just blot ons the most you could get would be 85-90hp.
on the 1.6L head porting can increase the airflow to nearly 10cfm, thats a hypothetical 13hp
You can also use the 40mm intake valves from the 1.8L solid lifter head, this is pretty risky but if your care full you can do it with out hitting the coolant gallies
using the 40mm valves will give you about 14.6 cfm airflow
with both proting and the valves you are looking at a hypothetical 124-129hp compaired to the potental 85-90 hp.
now you can talke into concideration, caming, intake, exaust, compression
with compression its like this
8.0:1 increase to 9.0:1 yeilds 1.8% hp increase
9.0:1 to 10.0:1 = 1.3% hp increase
10.0:1 to 11.0:1 = 1.0% hp increase
11.0:1 to 12.0:1 = 0.85 hp increase
and on, anything over 15.0:1 you will loose hp because you begin fighting the compression (takes more power to over come the compression than you are making.
the less compression you start with the more benifit you will gain from raising it. but anything over about 11.0:1 wont be a good candidate for pumpgas
with cis at full throttle the air flow plate is not all the way up, so it has been figured out that stock cis is good to about 170 N/A
i doubt you would get any where near that with a 1.6 but what it means is that cis will be fine no matter what you do
hope that helps alittle.

[Modified by euroscene17, 1:41 AM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 1.6 build up...critique please? (euroscene17)

Euroscene...So this is sort of the setup you had on your Blue Rabbit. What did you think of the power in it? Only difference is I'm running a carb, and a bigger cam (still undecided, thinking G-grind cause they are recomended and cheap). Oh yea...do the 1.6's still have the sewing machine whine, or is it eliminated due to the head change?

·
Banned
722 Posts

this is what i have..
1.6 block, 1.7 crank(stroked a bit), all balanced, 1.6 head with big valves, and a nasty cam... the motor was in my old GTI with stock injection and a header and TT cat back.... now it in my caddy, with euro FI, ported intake, ported exhaust, NS TB, havent started it yet, but should be fun...
-kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.