VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car starts up instantly, maybe alittle rough idle but does not hesitate in anyway when reving up stationary. Took it for a test drive and when under load it’s keeps cutting out. It hasn’t stalled but seems like it’s not getting any fuel under load! Could my injection pump be weak? Is this a sign that it is out of adjustment? I just purchased this car and there is a few loose wire not hooked to anything around injection pump area, could a unplugged wire be the issue? Please help!

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Car starts up instantly, maybe alittle rough idle but does not hesitate in anyway when reving up stationary. Took it for a test drive and when under load it’s keeps cutting out. It hasn’t stalled but seems like it’s not getting any fuel under load! Could my injection pump be weak? Is this a sign that it is out of adjustment? I just purchased this car and there is a few loose wire not hooked to anything around injection pump area, could a unplugged wire be the issue? Please help!
Calm down. It's gonna be OK.

Yes, you have a fuel restriction. It happens, especially with a new to you Caddy.

If you already replaced the fuel filter (large canister looks like oil filter by strut tower in engine compartment), replace it again. They should cost under $10.

If that doesn't work, you may need to go to level two and drop your fuel tank to clean it out. Also, not expensive.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another thing that I ran into on my caddy once was air getting into the fuel lines. In my case it was the little bolt on top of the filter housing that was loose. A fuel restriction could also cause that.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calm down. It's gonna be OK.

Yes, you have a fuel restriction. It happens, especially with a new to you Caddy.

If you already replaced the fuel filter (large canister looks like oil filter by strut tower in engine compartment), replace it again. They should cost under $10.

If that doesn't work, you may need to go to level two and drop your fuel tank to clean it out. Also, not expensive.
Fuel tank was removed when I got it, clean fuel with purge additive, all new lines besides hard lines. Fuel filter is brand new

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Can you see any air bubbles in the fuel lines?

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Fuel filter is brand new
replace it again.
If you have driven far enough to have fuel starvation issues, that's far enough to foul a filter.

This scenario happened to me when I first bought my Caddy in 2006. I knew it wasn't the fuel filter because it was brand new, because I had replaced it myself barely a tank of fuel before. My symptoms included cutting out on hills and randomly quitting at intersections. Always started right back up and even drove at highway speeds.

When you had the tank out, did you clean the screen or delete it?

Using diesel purge could be the issue. Cleaned out the junk from lines and tank and put it in your...fuel filter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have alittle in line fuel filter that does have a little bubble in it right after the fuel filter. I tried using the bleeder screw on fuel filter housIng but cannot get it out. Could it be caused by a slipping belt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts