VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny Question
I just bought a 89 VW Gli 1.8 16V, from what I know of the car, is that it does have a lightened 210 mm flywheel in it (receipt). The problem I am running into is this:
When I just got the car, it drove ok (rough, but with no power missing) After round #3 of driving it, I realized there was way power in 1st (good thing) and then when I hit 2nd the power would die down, like I was in 3rd or something. The next run with the car, I pulled in first fine, but when I hit second gear, and released the clutch there was a really bad grind, I quickly shifted back to first, and sounded fine, then back to second and grind was still there, then to 3rd and it wasn’t there. Stopped the car and put it in neutral. And when I let off the fly clutch I could hear the flywheel feathering something.
My first thought was that the bell housing had come lose and the flywheel was touching the housing. But after inspection, i know the bell housing it fitted fine. Also just because, I undid the clutch cable, gave it some oil, and when I reinstalled it I played with it, hoping that I might have been the clutch, but that was not the case either. Not that this matters, but the real mounts on the engine / Tranny is shot, but sure this isn’t the cause/sound I hear.
Is there any advice what this might be. It was mentioned to me that the 1.8 16V tranny’s where known to have bad 2nd gears, and that I will probably have to swap the Tranny. But before I go all out, I wanted to see if someone might have a better idea.
Thank you in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.