VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the engine is just about stripped. i'm concentrating on the head right now. i will soon be pulling the valves and whatnot out. for now i'm just gonna give it a light port, replace the lifters, throw a small cam and lightweight camgear in, and slap the dual manifold and downpipe on. this will go on the jetta for the time being while i get the rest of the motor ready.
for the bottom end i'll be going with 9:1 or 10:1 pistons, and leaving the rods stock.
i'll rebuild the tranny soon so i can do the 5speed conversion on the jetta. i'll be getting a lightened flywheel, and the clutch is undecided at this point.
the head will get reworked when the rest is ready. i'll be switching to 7mm stem valves, a 260/268 cam, and an adjustable cam gear. the non adjustable aluminum gear will go on the lightened aux shaft. i'll be fabricating a 1/4" phenolic spacer for the intake manifold along with a heat shield that will wrap around it. the turbo manifold will be fabricated by me, and will accomodate a rebuilt mitsu 14b turbo with a 38mm tial gate at 6psi.it will be nonintercooled, but will most likely have an aquamist system for fun.
the fuel system is still up in the air.
the turbo manifold will just be a simple design, and i'll make a few extra. wall thickness will be between .120 and .145" and flanges will be 1/2" thick, everything mild steel. i can make them fit a t3 or mitsu 14b, 16g, or the t25, or t28 off a 2g dsm.
well that's my update so far. things would go quicker if i wasn't concentrating mainly on the dsm.

Modified by draculia at 4:07 PM 7-5-2003

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: 1.8 8v turbo project update (draculia)

Sounds like you got a lot of work ahead of you!Are you porting it yourself?,and what kind of turbo are you gtoing to run/boost?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 1.8 8v turbo project update (SILVERADO)

turbo will be a mitsu 14b. i got it for 60, and i'll be getting a rebuild kit for 125, then i'll have it balanced. boost will be 6psi and controlled by the 35mm tial that now resides on my eclipse, i will have to change the spring in it though.
yes i will do the porting, and just about everything except for the machine work. lots of work ahead of me, that's why its always good to have a spare engine and tranny to build.
to top everything off, most of my time and money goes into the gsx. that is almost done, just waiting for some silicone couplers, then a bunch of stuff is off to the ceramic coater. shortly followed by some 650cc injectors and a microtech ltx8 stand alone. then i'll concentrate more on the vw

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

oh yeah, goals. the goal for the jetta is around 200whp.....eventually. the goal for the eclipse for right now is 400 whp on pump gas, when i build the 2.4 bottom end over the winter, and do a head swap and probably another turbo swap, the goal will be 500whp. the turbo on it now is a 50 trim to4e stage 3 .63 a/r with a 4 bolt discharge. turbo down the road will either be a gt35r or a 60-1 to4e stage 5 .63 a/r

·
Banned
2,234 Posts

You can get some good power out of that mitsu turbo but I think it will take more than 6psi on a 8V for 200whp,unless you are running stock compression?Either way sounds like fun. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 1.8 8v turbo project update (SILVERADO)

that's why i said eventually. i've seen a 14b on a dsm dyno very close to 300whp, and a 14b dsm hit 11s. definately not on 6psi, that's just my starting point. i haven't decided compression yet, either 9:1 or 10:1, most likely 9.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts