VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to look at a 2015 Jetta with the 1.8 Tsi in a couple of days. 6 speed standard, lady driver that works out of town and therefore these are highway miles. Has all the maintenance records and claims car has been well kept and has zero issues. Doesn't strike me as the kind of lady driver that used the be the butt of jokes in the past. Car looks impeccable (as per pics, haven't seen it in person yet).

I read that the life expectancy of this 3rd gen TSI to be 250 to 300k. How really accurate is this and is this a reason to stay away? Wife would be driving this vehicle 20,000km/year and plans to keep it for 2 years or so until she's saved enough for a Golf. Will this engine last another 40k past its "life expectancy"?

Hope to land it for far less than current market value. Is this a gamble worth taking? Would hate to pass on this car given all the other positives.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake, that'd be 5 speed manual. Got it confused with the other car wife is seriously considering: 09 Jetta TDI. Will be looking at both vehicles. I suspect she'll enjoy the 170 ponies more. But much like me, she's concerned with possible costly repairs if indeed the 1.8T has lived its life. Btw contacted the owner since posting this. She said it takes less than half a litre of oil in between changes. If true, then I find this an encouraging glimpse at the health of the motor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No longer relevant, bought a different TSI with a lot less km. Although reading about this engine, it seems that it will live well beyond 400,000km.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had typed up a reply with a bunch of regular maintenance stuff to look out for and I got busy and never finished it and posted it, sorry about that. Hopefully you got something mk7 ish the mqb platform is a lot more fun to mod lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the effort, and yes, that would have come handy. I know nothing about these newer models. Our last Jetta was a mk4 TDI.

We landed a 2015 TSI SE (or Sport, still trying to determine the trim) in tornado red, sunroof, automatic climate control, other extras.

It truly looks showroom condition inside and out. Not a scratch, not a clue that this isn't fresh off the showroom. It truly looks and drives like a new car. But more importantly wife loves it. Yes, this is for her, as a replacement for the car she wrecked less than 2 weeks ago. Quick turn around in finding a decent set of wheels. Very pleased with this TSI. Wish it had a 6th gear, that's my only complaint. But man, does it go.

Since we just got it yesterday (had to drive a few hours to get it) we haven't had the chance to read the manual or look at this forum for valuable info on maintenance, care, etc. Currently trying to locate a set of winter tires but wife refuses to get these with steelies (good for her)

·
Registered
343 Posts
The sport doesn’t come with the extras like a sun roof or auto climate controls so you more than likely got the se, also the sport only comes in the two tone interior and a 1.8. Those would be your give always, also the wheels are special to the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What's your engine code? These engines are not known for lasting 300k to 400k kilometers, more like 200k to 250k tops. Engine oil consumption, intake camshaft replacement, timing chain and guides replacement, and intake manifold replacement among other things. Just trying to fix the oil burning issue is a deal breaker on these engines because you're looking at $10k for a new engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im in the same boat. Considering picking one up with 170,000 miles one owner clean history. From what I gathered though 1.8's are a lot less problematic than the 2.0's (which ive owned 2 of).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad you found one with fewer miles, we traded our 2014 1.8 TSI for a new 2020 1.4 TSI (timing belt) due to timing chain concerns on the 1.8 TSI. Change the oil with the proper spec every 5K if you want it to last. We did love the 2014, it was just having to many $$ repairs so we jumped ship before things got ugly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts