VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!
I am doing this tutorial because every guide when i did conversion wasn't complete and had only about 60% information of what you actually need.
This will be short guide with everything you need to know.
some of the photos/ info are taken from this thread guide not very complete
so here is the parts that you actually need:
*A car with can bus system and DBW
*DSG gearbox of course!
馃槢

*Axles from the DSG car.
*The left one axle should be shortened by 1 centimeter / 0.39 inches to fit perfectly, (shortened mine 1,5 cm and its too much.)
*Starter
*Pilot bearing for flywheel
*Flywheel from TDI because it has 6 bolt pattern
*Automatic me7.5 ECU or someone to remap your original ecu to accept coding of automatic transmission, otherwise it wont run.
*DSG gear selector the smaller version that looks like this
Light Automotive lighting Composite material Wire Cable

Dont get a shifter that looks like this because it wont fit !!!!
Because this one is 4 cm taller and overall beefier , the original centre console wont fit !
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Headlamp

So lets start the conversion!

put a new pilot bearing in the crankshaft, and bolt it up to the spec "flywheel bolts: 60Nm + 90 degrees "
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

After that, attach the transmission to the engine. Again-absolutely bolt-on, every single bolt is in right place.

!!! FOR AWD CARS !!!
special bracket has to be made
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim

You might have issues with the right axle lenght
can't give you information because my car is fwd.
and for my seat leon 1m i had to shorten the left axle by 1cm.
right one didn't need any mods.

If you have an FWD car-then you don't need the bracket obviously.

This is how it looks in the Engine bay, You don't need to modify body frame or subframe-no welding, no cutting!
Even the 02M transmission mount bolt straight to the DQ250 bracket, but only on 2 bolts
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting

Transmission cooling radiator hoses were connected to the heater core pipes-same like in the DSG-equipped cars. Ready to go!
Something like this :
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Floor plan

Reverse signal
Good tuner will be able to put out a powering pin for taillights when you select a reverse gear (new beetle 2004 dsg used that )
i am not that good at remapping dsg yet , so i made a flange with microswitch so when reverse gear gets hit , it powers taillights.
Ecu issues
the manual version me7.5 wont work, the gearbox will not even turn on. auto ecu is a must.
Shifter issues
you will need to trim the gear selector tunnel hole a little bit, and you will need to drill 2 holes.
but overall its not that hard, but time consuming.
and this is why we use the smaller shifter not the bigger one, keep in mind that the bigger one is overall much bigger and 4 cm taller
LINK
this is how i ended it
interior shifter

Cluster SPEED ISSUE
this one is very easy to fix if you got kkl409.1 cable
all you need to do is download and get working vag eeprom programmer 1.19 read the eeprom of the cluster
put the eeprom in dashdumpedit program and select the eeprom. change speed source to abs as speed source.
upload the modified eeprom .this is it you got a working speedometer now, also you can enable needle sweep.

Remap
i remapped gearbox myself with kess v2 with bench cable
if you put petrol gearbox you wont need a remap, but for diesel one its a must, because its shift way too early
here is my first flashing attempt but the lambda isnt working :p ACCELERATION

the dsg when connected right will still have 2 DTCS electronic load controller and something else. but they dont make any difference.

GEARBOX ISSUES AND WHAT TO LOOK FOR
be sure to not get a mechatronic with a software number whichs ends AJ
because they can be remapped only once, and with very high risk.

be sure that your gearbox doesnt have any dumb faults that shouldnt be there when scanning with vcds before putting it in the car
be sure that measuring blocks and faults codes are scanning fast and not lagging, > personal experience will need to change mechatronic
be sure that dsg gearbox doesnt have any oil in the connect > personal experience will need to change mechatronic

Wiring
BE SURE TO CONNECT DSG / AND GEAR SELECTOR TO POWERTRAIN CAN BUS NOT A COMFORT ONE

Gear selector pinout
Pin 1 GROUND
Pin 2 Steering column unit ( signal when selector in P allowing the key to be removed) <- I connected this one to ignition
Pin 5 Illumination
Pin 7 Can high connect to powertrain can bus between ECU AND ABS!!!
Pin 8 Can low connect to powertrain can bus between ECU AND ABS!!!
Pin 9 12v Ignition power term 15 5a fuse box
Pin 10 12v constant power term 30 5a fuse box

DSG CONNECTOR
Pin 1 - K line
Pin 10 - Can high connect to powertrain can bus between ECU AND ABS!!!
PIN 11+ PIN 18 - 12 v constant power term 30 15A
Pin 13 12 V Ignition power term 15 5A (shared with gear selector pin 9)
Pin 15 Can low connect to powertrain can bus between ECU AND ABS!!!
PIN 16 + 19 GROUND
Pin 17 was left not connected
Elsawin diagrams.
imgur

GOODLUCK
ask any questions you have , will help!
you can contact me by [email protected]

Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle

Attachments

Registered
Thank you for providing all this information to the the community!!!

Was the swap worth your time? Would you do it again? I鈥檓 not saying it is not a upgrade just would like to know the cost to benefit ratio鈥..in your opinion of course

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for providing all this information to the the community!!!

Was the swap worth your time? Would you do it again? I鈥檓 not saying it is not a upgrade just would like to know the cost to benefit ratio鈥..in your opinion of course
Its definitely worth it when you dont have to waste money on things you dont need
I would definitely do it again. But getting the box inside when the engine is in car is a little bit tricky as it is 40kg-50kg heavier then the manual one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts