VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there..I may have to replace my missing (see stolen) Jetta wolfsburg. Since I'll be brining this new car south to LA this year I think I should play it safe (no flames please) with the auto / tip transmission...so for those who have this set up with the jetta 1.8t what's it like..good...bad or ugly?
(And I do plan to test drive it myself, soon..but I've heard there's been acceleration problems..getting stuck in park that kind of thing)
Thoughts....

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (rikkman)

I have no problems in my Gti and it allright altough i wish i got a manual

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

I've got a 1.8T tip. I like it a lot. I kinda of wish I had purchased a standard and saved some money... but then I remember why I purchased a tip.... easier to drive for me, family and friends and more convenient as you don't need to shift unless you want to.
I have not had any problems at all with my tip, although I do notice the shifting lag. After driving the car for a couple of months I have managed to learn the 'best' time to shift to minimize the lag.
Do not get an auto... if your options are tip or auto go with the tip for sure.

·
Registered
182 Posts

buy what ever your needs are. I have 5speed and love it, however my sister has tip and she loves it too. No problems, but i still prefer 5speed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
546 Posts

Someone on here referred to the Tiptronic as the "doggomatic".
I don't think I could've put it more eloquently myself.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (Einz komma acht T)

Quote, originally posted by Einz komma acht T »
I have no problems in my Gti and it allright altough i wish i got a manual

Spoken like a scholar, just get the manual, or buy my car, and then ill get a manual

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (vdubsteez)

Tiptronic is still automatic...obviously. If you like shifting, get the manual. If you're on the phone a lot, or do other stuff while driving, get the auto. and of course, the manual is going to be faster.
-Jesse

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (OhioVr6)

I've had both! Had a 2001 Jetta GLS for two years before moving on to my five speed. I had been regretting my decision of getting an automatic for a year, until I finally gave into the urge. The thing that convinced me was a single incident last year. One day in April, I getting ready to head back to work (from lunch). Got in my car and noticed that my shifter wouldn't move. After about twenty minutes of fidgeting with it, I had to call VW Roadside and have the car towed...Luckily, dubwerks was across town...Three and a half hours. half a day of lost productivity, and $35.00 (for a new shift lock lever) later I was able to drive it....
Morale of the story is that this can't happen with a manual transmission!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (col4bin4u)

Quote, originally posted by col4bin4u »
I've had both! Had a 2001 Jetta GLS for two years before moving on to my five speed. I had been regretting my decision of getting an automatic for a year, until I finally gave into the urge. The thing that convinced me was a single incident last year. One day in April, I getting ready to head back to work (from lunch). Got in my car and noticed that my shifter wouldn't move. After about twenty minutes of fidgeting with it, I had to call VW Roadside and have the car towed...Luckily, dubwerks was across town...Three and a half hours. half a day of lost productivity, and $35.00 (for a new shift lock lever) later I was able to drive it....
Morale of the story is that this can't happen with a manual transmission!

There are horror stories for manuals also where people cant shift into gears. Also, there are 2nd gear synchro probs also.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i have a tip. i'd rahter have manual:
much lighter (you can feel the extra weight in them mountains)
faster (due to weight?)
more fuel efficient
why i like the tip:
GIAC tip chip! haha im dreaming
less hassle
dont have to worry about the girls in my life not being able to drive the car (not that they would)
bottom line: i'd rather have manual

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Re: 1.8t and The Tiptronic - thoughts (1.8tRacer5000)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8tRacer5000 »
manual rulez http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I AGREE 1000% http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Re: (mkIVrflxsilver)

Quote, originally posted by mkIVrflxsilver »

faster (due to weight?)

Weight is not the decisive factor when comparing manual and the tiptronic. The drivetrain loss (from the torque converter) is 21% and the shifts are butt slow (that's where the tip chip would help- but it's never going to come out)
Oh, and I'm happy with my Tip, until I save up about 6000 to do a swap (with aftermarket clutch, flywheel, and LSD of course)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a tip in LA and it is a blessing when it comes to sitting in traffic! Manual is fun, but tip makes life easier...bottom line: tough call

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

i got the tip....im from NYC and moved to SF, two cities with congested roads and the tip is a blessing. this is the way i thought about it....how often will i actually be ENJOYING a 5spd? late at night or on the every so often weekend romp in the twisties....but thats where the tip comes in. im not racing, dont care about the extra 6% drivetrain loss, 1/4 mile times or any of that other nonsense....if i wanted a race car i would have gotten a race car. i wanted a quick, dependable daily driver and still be able to enjoy holding a gear to 6500 while not ripping my hair out in rush hour traffic.....the choice was clear.
weigh your options and listen to neither the 5spd fanboys or the tip ones. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,198 Posts

TIPTRONIC=CRAPPIEST TRANSMISSION EVER
every other day i have a problem with it
3-4 SUCKS
2-3 It will get stuck in 2nd and rev to 7300 but no increase in mph, it just sits there
all gears slam

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: (Red Devil 1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by Red Devil 1.8T »
I love my tip..Even more, so when i'm stuck in traffic!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I have a stick and I have NO PROBLEM in traffic at all. Shifting becomes second nature...you don't even notice yourself shifting even in traffic. Manual any day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well it's my .o2 cents and I like it. Traffic in Miami is pretty bad. And if i want speed I have my hubby's Buick GN, that is somewhat faster than the average car

1 - 20 of 22 Posts